A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: stage 4 lung cancer, spread to spine, leg and now brain.

Regular User

stage 4 lung cancer, spread to spine, leg and now brain.

Hi with complete devastation my mom,my beautiful mom has just been diagnosed as stage 4 lung cancer. It's crazy to our family as she has had 0 symptoms. Aside from some leg pain which is why we ended up begging for a cat scan or MRI. Finally got it a d came back with the worst news ever. It's in her Brain, several tumors big and small. I'm looking to see if anyone has seeked out alternative treatment along with modern medicine.

I know her diagnosis is bad but as a family we are trying to stay as positive as we can to help her. I am looking for some advice and any info offered.

Thanks in advance.

Cathy

Cathy,

Sorry to hear about your mom. I would be careful pursuing alterative treatments at the same time as modern medicine. As I understand it, sometimes the two will actually cancel each other out, making both less effective.

I would also check your mom's cancer for common mutations. They have some awesome drugs now if you have the right mutations.

Good luck and God bless.
    mike
    At the time - 46 yo male, non-smoker
    Sept 2012 - DX - One tumor NSCLC Squamous Cell Right Upper Lung
    Oct 2012 - TX - Treatment similar to Pancoast Tumor - Pre-operation radiation and chemo (5.5 weeks of IGRT and 3 cycles of Cisplatin and Etoposide)
    Dec 2012 - Surgery - Remove RUL, Surgical Pathology Report Adenocarcinoma T2N0M0
    Now - Wait, watch, & pray

Senior User
    Hi Cathy,

I am truly sorry to hear about your mom. At this point, you need to make the best of a completely awful situation. As Mike said, there is no alternative medication for your Mom's condition and you should always check with her doctors before you try any other herbs, infusions, etc.

The fact is you are looking at prolonging life, not saving life, and you don't want to do anything that could complicate those efforts. Make decisions based on quality, not quantity.Make HER, not the disease, your focus. Be supportive and be there when she asks for help, but don't try to push, cajole or control her. Be 100% behind her, no matter what she decides, and make sure she knows that you are strong (even though you might not feel that way) enough to take whatever comes.

Be honest while still trying not to be morose. Cry with her, but don't cry in front of her.

It's a really tough road, but you can make it easier on yourself by accepting, right now, that you have very little control and that you have to hold on tight and ride it out.

Make the best of every day you have, get things in order, and love her.

Hugs,

Lori

Lori said exactly what I was thinking. I am in a similar position as you. Except for the alternative treatment part. My mom is a tough woman and I will support whatever she decides. I am sorry you have to be here but I have had more questions and concerns answered on this forum than I have anywhere else. Stay strong.
    Mom's story: http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-no-symptoms. 10/30/12 first alert lung cancer. 11/13/12 barochoscope done - lymph nodes tested positive, port put in. 11/16/12 diagnosed SCLC. First Chemo 11/26 -11/28/12. Notified that she has brain Mets. First radiation 12/03/12 - last 12/14/12. On 4/1/13, tumor has shrank from 9 cm to 4.1. Brain mets are microscopic. 12 weeks off (had 6 rounds of chemo)

Top User
    Cathy, I am sorry to hear about your mom, my mom has extensive stage SCLC, with mets to the lymph nodes, bones and liver. The good news though is she was diagnosed almost a year ago and is doing really well. We know there is not cure but her Dr had been treating her with chemo and it is helping so much. We have gone traditional, and we have also been very, very lucky, her reaction to the chemo has been great, more than anyone expected. Have hope, they are doing wonderful things, talk to the onc, find out what the plans are and then move on from there. This forum is a great place for info and support!
    Mom's xray July 2011 looks suspicious, CAT scan July 2011 SCLC ES diagnosed August 2011
    Etoposide Carboplatin begins august 24th 2011
    CAT December 2011 lung tumors gone or greatly reduced, liver tumor not detectable PCR January 2012 CAT March 2012 more shrinkage
    CAT July 2012 tumors growing July 2012 Topotecan CAT October 2012 Liver tumor has grown October 2012 Taxotere begins CT scan - no growth - brain mets, WBRT in February, CT Scan in March 2013 shows more growth, begin Gemzar.
    Mom passed away July 8, 2013.

Newbie New User

Potential options

Quote Originally Posted by franniedid View Post
    Cathy, I am sorry to hear about your mom, my mom has extensive stage SCLC, with mets to the lymph nodes, bones and liver. The good news though is she was diagnosed almost a year ago and is doing really well. We know there is not cure but her Dr had been treating her with chemo and it is helping so much. We have gone traditional, and we have also been very, very lucky, her reaction to the chemo has been great, more than anyone expected. Have hope, they are doing wonderful things, talk to the onc, find out what the plans are and then move on from there. This forum is a great place for info and support!
    I sympathize with you and my prayers are with you. If you haven't already try a major teaching hospital... In Chicago area Northwestern and Loyola hospitals have great cancer centers with top notch oncologists. Also it's my understanding in Houston, Texas is the best cancer hospital in the country..Md Anderson Cancer Center...there is no easy answer but I hope the above may bel of help. Praying to you...John

+ Reply to Thread