A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: my mom

Super Moderator Top User lisa1962's Avatar

my mom

Don't know how to begin so please bare with me if I ramble. In early November my mom was diagnosed with cancer. The squish cell tumor located encased in the left pulmonary artery to left lung. She is 79 was in good health prior to this. Non smoker. It was found by ct scan. She had been getting extremely weak and her gap thought she had bronchitis. Anyway, doctors started her on chemo once a week which started beginning if December. She has been tolerating chemo petty well considering her weakness. Can't even do simple daily tasks. Just this week began feeling nauseous but is taking medication. Now her weakness is so bad she can not even stand. She is doing hydration therapy but that does not seem to be helping. When this began she did have a cough which has diminished significantly and we did find out that the tumor itself has not grown. Very concerned about the progressing weakness. Has anyone experienced this. Feel helpless.

Experienced User

regarding your mom

sorry to hear about your mom. my mom was diagnosed this time last year, had surgery, then chemo; she did ok on the chemo, but it is so incredibly harsh on the body. if i were in your shoes, i would be looking at ways to boost her immune system with foods/rest/fluids and appropriate supplements; i'm a vitamin believer and user, but am hesitant to encourage as there are so many interactions.... but if you investigate and feel comfortable, it should help; i specifically like vit c, the b vitamins and don't take currently, but would look into the 'superfood' green type supplements; and remember to take care of you

My mom started out strong on treatment, but that was due to steroids she is on. She starts her 3rd treatment this week and has confessed to me her growing weakness since they took away the steroids. She's not quite as weak as you say your mom is.... since she is still doing her own shopping and such. But, I notice that she now sleeps a lot during the day now, and we don't do Sunday dinners any more at her house..... not big differences, but I just know she is getting weaker.
    Mom's story: http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-no-symptoms. 10/30/12 first alert lung cancer. 11/13/12 barochoscope done - lymph nodes tested positive, port put in. 11/16/12 diagnosed SCLC. First Chemo 11/26 -11/28/12. Notified that she has brain Mets. First radiation 12/03/12 - last 12/14/12. On 4/1/13, tumor has shrank from 9 cm to 4.1. Brain mets are microscopic. 12 weeks off (had 6 rounds of chemo)

Super Moderator Top User
    Hi Lisa,

Welcome to our Forum. I hope you find the support and information that I found when I first joined after my Dad was diagnosed. I'm very sorry to hear about your Mom. Both lung cancer and chemo can cause this weakness. If she continues to respond well to the chemo you may see her rebound and gain some strength. Do you know what stage of lung cancer she has? It's important to know so we can tell you what to expect. How is her appetite? Is she taking any supplemental nutrition like Ensure or Boost? Is she losing weight? Although her tumor has not shrunk...the next best thing is no more growth so you know she is responding to the chemo. Please let us know how this goes. God Bless.

Irish
    Irish,
    Caregiver to my Dad, who was diagnosed in June 2010 with Stage 1V NSCLC with single met to brain,
    He sadly lost his battle in August 2010 and we miss his smiling Irish blue eyes terribly.
    My Dad's story:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-how-he-died.

Top User
    Hi Lisa,

So sorry about your mom, this is so hard to deal with. Irish is so right, the support and information here are priceless.

My mom has extensive stage SCLC, when she first got chemo, carbo - etoposide, she was so weak we had to lift her out of chairs and bed etc. She was very weak before the chemo started but after she could not even walk, she was in a wheel chair. After about 3 or 4 rounds she was using a walker, and by the end was walking on her own. It was a combination of the cancer and the chemo and now while she is much weaker than she used to be she is doing pretty well.
    Mom's xray July 2011 looks suspicious, CAT scan July 2011 SCLC ES diagnosed August 2011
    Etoposide Carboplatin begins august 24th 2011
    CAT December 2011 lung tumors gone or greatly reduced, liver tumor not detectable PCR January 2012 CAT March 2012 more shrinkage
    CAT July 2012 tumors growing July 2012 Topotecan CAT October 2012 Liver tumor has grown October 2012 Taxotere begins CT scan - no growth - brain mets, WBRT in February, CT Scan in March 2013 shows more growth, begin Gemzar.
    Mom passed away July 8, 2013.

My Mom was very weak when she started CHEMO and has gotten even weaker as the weeks go on. She has chemo every monday. VERY weak yesterday and could not stand on her feet. Doctor decided not to do chemo today but is currently at the doctors for evaluation. She actually does not even remember anything from yesterday. My Mom also sleeps A LOT. Keep in touch. Thank you for posting.

We were told that yes, he weakness is due the cancer itself and then also now to chemo. She initially lost 10 lbs but has not lost any weight during chemo. She receives chemo each week and is on he 6th week. She is has hydration therapy each week. Her appetite is good eventhough she is not eating big meals. She drinks an apple juice made by Ensure.

My dad was progressively more tired as treatment progressed with the first Big Bang round . He is doing the 3 weeks of chemo on ,one week off and no radiation now. He is less tired but still tired . I would classify his first Big Bang round as extremely weak to the point of sitting in his robe all day. He lost 20 or more pounds the first time and has gradually gained back about 3. Now he's back to losing a lb each week.
    87(now 88!)yr old Dad diagnosed 7/12 w NSC squamous lung cancer w small lymph node involved,1 large tumor 4 CM & some small. Stage 3
    Phase 1 :Chemo 7/12 -6 wks Carboplatin/Taxol
    Hospitalized 4 days after first chemo.
    Concurrent Radiation-every day M-F
    Scan Oct 24- large tumor shrunk ,small gone.
    Phase 2:chemo started first week Nov. Allergic reaction,chemo changed.
    Just Taxol. 3 weeks on/1 off.
    Finished 4 rounds.(12) 2/7/13 now 2 mo off & then a Pet scan.
    4/10/13 pet scan :Good results - tumor granulized or something.
    7/10/13 CT scan shows no negative changes !
    3 months off with intermittent bloodwork then Pet scan end of Oct.
    Oct scan showed an area near original tumor which they'd like to keep an eye on so scheduled scan in Dec.
    Brain CT and Brain MRI . No mets.
    Next scan March 22. Pet scan base of skull to thigh. Results- no negative changes!
    He died 4/10/14 from dementia .
    Go dad go!!

My mom could not have her chemo treatment today but went in to see doctor for evaluation. She was very weak as usual but had no memory of yesterday when she was so weak she couldn't stand on her own. Doctor now has ordered brain mri for Wednesday as a precaution. Does not expect to find anything but after reading some info regarding lung cancer, it is not uncommon to spread to brain. Her ankles also swollen so no hydration therapy this weak. Gave her compression socks. We are all frantic but my dad is so frantic that he fell today at cancer center and is pretty banged up. He is 81 and my parents have been married for 60 years. Thank you all for all your concern and replies. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the support.

Senior User
    I'm so sorry that you and your family are going through this. Let us know how her brain scan goes. Praying for you and family.
    MOM-My best friend. 76 years old, COPD, atherosclerosis, high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, smoker. Hospitalized 4/12 - Sick, fever, terrible coughing, extreme fatigue. X-rays and cat scan showed 2 areas on left lung (ULL and LLL)-diagnosis pneumonia. Hospitalized for 5 days. Was on antibiotics for weeks. Primary care doctor kept watch, sending her every month for x-rays May through August. Mass on ULL gone but LLL still showed shadow. CAT scan with contrast/September. LLL shadow on CAT scan. October/PET scan ordered, LLL mass lit up and lymph node on right side of chest, hilar area. Bronchoscopy/November 2012/preliminary tests shows Adenocarcinoma in lymph nodes, didn't get a good sample from LLL but they think that's where the primary tumor is. We are waiting for her first oncology appointment 12/6/2012. My mom is very depressed. Her oncology appointment cannot get here soon enough.
    FACEBOOK-Vickie Catara

Super Moderator Top User
    Hi Lisa,

Sorry that you have so much going on right now. I hope your Dad is ok. I'm crossing my fingers that the brain scan comes back with good news. Do you know what stage your Mom's cancer is?
    God Bless.

Irish
    Irish,
    Caregiver to my Dad, who was diagnosed in June 2010 with Stage 1V NSCLC with single met to brain,
    He sadly lost his battle in August 2010 and we miss his smiling Irish blue eyes terribly.
    My Dad's story:
    http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...th-how-he-died.

Well, finally received the results of brain mri and thankfully, all clear. Doctor attributes her extreme weakness to combination of being so weak to begin with and chemo. He is going to give her next week off from chemo and resume following week. Also having a physical therapist come to the house to begin working with her to get her muscles moving. I know she has a huge battle to still fight but with the brain scan being clear was one much needed good news....

Experienced User
    great news on her scan; wishing you well, leah
    mom, 76, diagnosed 1/12 with stage 3a nsclc;
    during surgery, two nodes that showed positive on PET proved to be negative;
    restaged to 1b (yea!)
    3 rounds chemo, cisplatin (can't recall other)
    having balance/cognitive issues; brain scan clean; meeting with neuro for possible parkinson's disease

Regular User
    My dad also gets very weak. As I see him struggling through this, I often wonder which is worse. The chemo or the cancer. Great news on her scan . We have my dad on many immune boosters, they seem to be helping and the oncologist says its great hes maintaing weight. Last check he put on two pounds. His appetite is good but find when off the herbs he has none. Praying for your mom and your family.

Newbie New User
    I was told to drink Boost or ensure after my treatments that last 3 days on the 4th I'm given Neulasta to build my immune system which I'm convinced works for me as the 1st round aug/12 I didn't get the injection and felt weak and very bad but since getting the injection Ive felt good the next day were I'm able to get up and do a couple things around the house. might be worth mentioning to the Dr.

Thank you. I hope your dad will come through all this too. Please keep me updated on how he is doing

Update on my mom. They resumed chemo yesterday. We met with doctor last week and asked about a low dose steroid. They said good idea so she started taking on Saturday. The past three days have actually been the best couple of days she has had in a longtime. Still extremely weak but awake most of the time and is able to push herself to move around more. Nausea drugs not working so they are treating with a reflux med. Her weight is steady and has not lost anymore weight. She easts and drinks good. The plan is to do a Ct scan after these next 4 chemo sessions. We are all praying it will provide positive news.

Good news on the brain scan! Moms age isn't working for her. It's just very hard for a younger person but have her hang in , drink ensure, keep her fluids and weight up. That will help. She's going to be very tired.
    Best wishes... Keep us posted and give mom a hug.
    87(now 88!)yr old Dad diagnosed 7/12 w NSC squamous lung cancer w small lymph node involved,1 large tumor 4 CM & some small. Stage 3
    Oct scan showed an area near original tumor which they'd like to keep an eye on so scheduled scan in Dec.
    Next scan March 22. Pet scan base of skull to thigh. Results- no negative changes!
    Go dad go!!

Did your dad start chemo today? How is he?

Yes, he started his 4th round today and tomorrow he'll go for fluids.
    He's going much better than the first time.
    He's not as tired and has taken to riding his bike once a day .
    Go dad go!!

+ Reply to Thread