A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: base of tongue cancer

Newbie New User

Question base of tongue cancer

my brother had a tumor in his base of tongue at the size of 7x7.3 cm and 2 involved lymph nodes at area II and V at size 5x3.3.pet scan results shows that no other parts of the body get involved.
    doctors decided to start chemotherapy as the first line of treatment and use :
    1- Biomab
    2- Abraxane
    3- Holoxan
    as chemo drugs.after 6 sessions of chemo therapy they did pet scan again that the resulsts shows the base of tongue tumor is not measurable now so it means tumor is reduced to the dimensions that pet scan can not measure it and lymph node tumor is reduced to 2x1.1 cm and UV results show that the metabolic activity of base of tongue reduced from 14.7 to 4 and lymph node UV is reduced from 16.4 to 5.8.
    so they decide to continue chemo therapy for 3 more sessions.
    one of the doctors in medical team opinion is that they are going for radical surgery after chemo therapy so it means that they are going to remove base of tongue even after that pet scan shows that the tumor is vanished.and yet they are going to remove his jaw bone ( pet scan shows that the jaw bone is not involved ) and replace it with bone implants.
    so there is a question remains for me that is it really neccessary that base of tongue and jaw bone plus major parts of his face remove by surgery even after tomur is vanished and jaw bone is not involved?
    Last edited by samjahadian; 01-09-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Regular User
    samjahadian's post seems to be deleted so I am doing the same with my reply
    Last edited by **_Eric_**; 01-09-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: samjahadian's post seems to be deleted so I am doing the same with my reply

+ Reply to Thread