A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: need chemo/radiation

Regular User

need chemo/radiation

I spoke with my Dr today about my pathology reports for my hysterectomy last week. The cancer was over 50% into the uterine wall, and there was a collection of tumor cells in the right Fallopian tube. He is concerned that, since the tube is open-ended, that cancer cells could have spilled out into the abdominal cavity. He said that if I were 80 years old, that he would suggest no further treatment, but since I am only 52, that he wants to go for a cure. With that in mind, he recommends chemo and radiation. I am supposed to see him next week for a post-op visit, and we will discuss options further.

I am just stunned with this information, and it's hard to assimilate it. I want to do everything to get healthy again. Has anyone else had a similar prognosis/treatment plan?

Moderator Top User
    Oh Ralyra. My heart just sank when I read your post. Drat. We hope and pray that things will be easy, but it just doesn't always work out that way. I don't know much about your prognosis or treatment plan, but I just wish you didn't need to deal with radiation and chemo. It sounds like you are getting good advice from your doctor, but I'd get a second opinion anyway just to see if both doctors have the same approach. I'm praying that your treatment will be 100% effective.
    Endometrial adenocarcinoma
    stage 1 (10% penetration of myometrium), grade 2
    daVinci hysterectomy March 2011
    No further treatment. Feeling great!

Regular User
    I saw my dr today and we discussed further treatment. He wants to do 3 cycles of chemo, then radiation, then another 3 of chemo. I asked about holding radiation as a second line of defense if the chemo didn't work, but he said the most recent studies indicate this treatment plan has had the most positive results. Has anyone been told of this plan by their dr? I trust my doc, but I would like to see how others did with both treatment modalities.

Moderator Top User
    I hope others with more experience can jump in here. I just want to make it clear that the comments that I made in another thread about holding radiation as a second line of defense were directed to someone who had a stage 1a diagnosis and only a 6% chance of recurrence. The tumor cells in your Fallopian tube push you into a different category. I have not studied treatment options for this stage of endometrial cancer and have no opinion one way or the other. The treatment plan does not sound unreasonable to me.

I am so very sorry that you need to deal with this. I hope that the side effects are minimal and that the cancer never comes back.

Regular User
    It's ok, Endosophie. I have seen similar posts re using radiation as back-up, and I guess I repeated your phrasing. I realize our clinical pictures are different. I wish my situation were more similar to yours.

Experienced User

i don't have this experience

i just had hysterectomy and waiting for results. I want to tell you to go to 2nd opinion. I went to 4 different doctors before making any decisions. They are humans, remember and listen to your instinct. Please don't panick, your goal is to live!

Newbie New User
    Hi...I have stage 3 c uterine cancer. After a complete hysterectomy I was told by one oncologist I had stage 2 cancer and that was that they would treat and I would be better. I took my slides, and reports to a cancer center here in NY and got a totally different diagnosis. I had slight invasion in my uterine wall but the tumor invaded my cervix. I had no tube or ovary invasion but what they didn't find at the first hospital pathology lab was a positive lymph node. The CT Scan revealed an enlarged one that was missed during surgery, cancer cells in the fluid in my belly (which was found during surgery but there is still some fluid there according to the scan) and a small growth near my bowel. A lot to have to take in. If I had been treated at that hospital I would have been under treated and would be facing real trouble. I am grateful that I went to the cancer center.

Newbie New User
    Hi Ralyra

I have just had a radical hysterectomy following a diagnosis of early endometrial cancer and a clear MRI. However my surgeon told me they have taken lots of biopsies as they found that my bowel was inflamed. They took away the omentum which they told me is like an apron and which swims around the stomach and mops up cells. Like you my surgeon said there is a possibility that cells too small to show under an MRI test could have spilled out of the Fallopian tubes. I did not have my nodes taken - I am assuming at the moment they are clear, but I am bracing myself for further bad news - I am assuming I will need radiotherapy or chemotherapy. I won't know for another week when all the results will come back. It is all a bit too much for me I am afraid.

I don't have your type of cancer, but wanted to share how my perspective has changed. When I was first diagnosed I especially feared the idea of radiation treatments, but I have no idea why. It's not used with ovarian cancer much, but the women I've chatted with who've had radiation have not had a lot of complaints. If they were to recommend it to me now I wouldn't be so alarmed as when all of this was new to me. One thing I've learned is there are several ways to deliver radiation. If you ask the doctor exactly how the treatments would be done then you could narrow your focus to that and not worry about stories of treatments that will never be used for you.

In general, I think when oncologists talk about going for a cure, they're serious about that. It's a very nice thing to reach for!
    Diagnosed with stage 2c papillary serous cystadenoma borderline malignancy of the ovary in 2009. Hysterectomy, omenectomy, appendectomy, debulking. 2010 - laparoscopy showed inoperable recurrence, so started chemo. Frontline chemo - carboplatin and cyclophosphamide, six cycles; Avastin - ten cycles; Weekly Topotecan - 4 cycles. Spring 2012 developed pleural nodules. Topotecan plus Avstin - 1year. April, 2014, had surgery to remove Aspergillus infection from right lung.

Regular User
    Hi everyone,

I am scheduled for a port placement on Fri Feb 8, and will chart chemo Feb 15. I met with the medical onc who will oversee my chemo. My gyn onc/surgeon does not order chemo, but refers to a hem/onc. I like the med onc, and he answered my questions and eased my concerns. I am still nervous and anxious about the chemo and possible side effects. I learned that my cancer pathology was Stage 3 Grade 2, so I want to go on and begin treatment. I still don't know what type radiation is planned. I know the dr has told me, but I think I was distracted by the idea of chemo, and I can't remember what he said about radiation. However, I will have 3 3-week chemo cycles to find out.

My employer is working with me to accommodate my treatment schedule. When I came back after my hysterectomy, my boss gave me a lighter patient load. (I am a hospice nurse, and make home visits.) I have some flexibility in scheduling visits, so I can I can leave treatment days open. Unfortunately, I used all my sick days when I had surgery. I need to continue working so I can keep my health insurance, even if I end up taking days off without pay.

I have been told that treatment is no picnic, but it is doable. So I'm gonna do it.

Good luck with the chemo! When I started someone advised me to keep a daily log because I would find there's a pattern that repeats with each cycle. I found I felt quite good on chemo day and for two days after. On days 4 and 5 the steroids they give as a pre-med wore off and I wanted to sleep a whole lot. Then I bounced back again. Remember that no one gets all the side effects!
    Diagnosed with stage 2c papillary serous cystadenoma borderline malignancy of the ovary in 2009. Hysterectomy, omenectomy, appendectomy, debulking. 2010 - laparoscopy showed inoperable recurrence, so started chemo. Frontline chemo - carboplatin and cyclophosphamide, six cycles; Avastin - ten cycles; Weekly Topotecan - 4 cycles. Spring 2012 developed pleural nodules. Topotecan plus Avstin - 1year. April, 2014, had surgery to remove Aspergillus infection from right lung.

Regular User
    My treatment plan is progressing. I had the port placement yesterday in preparation for chemo. It is sore, but not too bad. It is on the left side of my chest, and I did not realize how much chest muscles are involved in movement and reaching. No big arm movements today, and I'm just taking things easy.

Moderator Top User
    Thanks for the updates. So sorry that you have to go through all of this. I am reminded of walking through this with a good friend about 10 years ago. It was certainly no picnic. But she's alive and well today. She continued working throughout the process, but did need to take a day or two off after each treatment. Let us know how it goes.

Regular User
    Hi all, I had my first chemo Feb 15. I did ok. I did not have after effects except fatigue. I don't know it the fatigue was from the chemo or from the surgery. I hope future treatments are also uneventful, I have been told that side effects can be cumulative, so there's no guarantee of that. The plan is 3 cycles, then radiation, then 3 more chemo cycles. I think the radiation will be external. I go back for blood work Mar 1 and chemo is planned for Mar 8. I think the 3 week waits between treatments will not be easy to get through. I'm not an especially patient person anyway, and I want to get the treatments continued so I will be finished as soon as possible. I am still working, so that will give me something to fill my time, so that will distract me. So far, I have only taken off for port placement and the first chemo, but my office is working to accommodate my schedule.

I'm glad you're off to such a good start. My frontline chemo was really uneventful. There were a few days when I wanted more than one nap, but not many. I threw up twice. I expected to feel progressively worse after each treatment, but that really didn't happen. I think it's different for everyone, and of course it depends on what chemo agents you're being given. Anyway, you've got one down! Congratulations!

Moderator Top User
    Glad to hear that things are going as well as can be expected, and that your employer is working with you. Great that the first chemo was so easy. Thanks for the update.

+ Reply to Thread