A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mom has 4cm spot on lungs- diagnosed..cancer

Newbie New User

Mom has 4cm spot on lungs- diagnosed..cancer

Hi, I am trying to educate myself quickly. My mother had a biopsy done, and the spot (mass) on her lung was found to be cancer. we are so in the beginning stages. She is set up to do a pet (sic) scan in 2 days. Im trying to figure out if 4cm is considered large and what are possible solutions or options moving forward.

Thanks for listening

Reels, size does matter; the bigger the tumor, the better the chances of metastasizing. You've probably already thought that. Wait for the PET scan and see the doctor about it first. Take a deep breath. How is your mother? Jody
    May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour. Born 1960. Diagnosed 4/2011 with one tumor, LUL, NSCLC. Tumor size 1.1 inches. Thoracic surgery 6/1/2011. No action taken. Eight weeks of radiation and chemo. Carbo and Taxol. Follow up with four rounds of Carbo and Alimta.
    December 2011 CT scan shows all clear.
    April 2012 CT scan shows all clear. July 2012 had several x-rays taken at the chiropractor for shoulder pain. Took them to the onc and nothing suspicious noted. See them again in Oct.
    October didn't work out. Pain in the left shoulder continued to worsen and lymph nodes in the supraclavical swelled so I called the onc and they bumped the regular scan up to September 19 and we went for the results on the 24th. The tumor is back and the spread is extensive. Option 1: Try targeting chemos that may work and then on to clinical trials. These would give me about a year or so if the cancer responds. Option 2: Do no treatment and let nature take its course. This will give me six months give or take. As good as I feel right now, Iím going for door #2 and will continue to live well and enjoy myself until I donít. Iíll keep you posted. Live it up everyone!

7 months into hospice and palliative care. It has been a very good relationship with the organization as a whole with a minor glitch. April 2013 spent the night at hospice facility, PICC line inserted for morphine drip. I said I wouldnít but, had a hospital bed delivered. Started 10 rounds of palliative radiation to shrink the neck tumor. Busy month for me!

I've taken a couple of nasty falls this last week. (first of & mid-May) Right on the cancer shoulder. So I have a life alert necklace on me now. I wish I could get my hands on a small scooter!

There is another node swelling on the other side of my neck. Still small.

April51's (Jody) daughter posted that her Mother's journey in this world had ended on July 8th 2013.You touched so very many lives. Soar high Jody!

Newbie New User
    heartofsoul1-

Thank you, this is a great start. My mother, is passive in nature.. and lives in denial, for most everything. she still thinks she's 3 years old and if she ignores it or doesn't look at it, it will go away. I'm a few hours away from her and trying to hit the ground running. Thursday can't get here fast enough. The more questions I ask, the more people I'm finding who have something to offer.

Thank you again for the follow up. I will get on the reports and see what happens on Thursday.
    Scott
    Last edited by reels29; 02-12-2013 at 12:43 PM.

Newbie New User
    april51
    thank you for your reply. I'm so naive to all this.. I don't even know what metastasizing is. That being said, my Mom is doing ok right now. Health is good...spirits..are, well, mixed at best.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. How is door number 2 treating you? I sit here and break down reading every one else's stories. How am I supposed to be strong for Mom?? Ha, get it out of my system now. I know we got a road to travel.

Scott

Senior User
    Hi Reels, I noticed your from Baltimore, what part? I am from upper Bel Air (north east). There is another person Mike who is also from maryland. I too am going through the waiting game and on my final test (I think?) biospy. I had a ct, pet/ct, pulmonary function, blood work and now I am on the CT needle biopsy which will confirm I'm sure because my pet lite up. Are you sure its 4cm? Your mom is in good spirits that is a really good thing, did she have any symptoms which prompted her to have the ct scan/biopsy? they did my pet before the biopsy but I have heard some people have it done after. I am wishing you all the best. Keep us updated there are so many wonderful people on this board that can really help you through this time. If your mom is having no symptoms and is upbeat thats a good thing. Mickey

Senior User
    I'm sorry your mom has cancer but happy that you found this forum. Lots of knowledge and support for you here.
    Thank you for wanting to share your story with us.
    MOM-My best friend. 76 years old, COPD, atherosclerosis, high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, smoker. Hospitalized 4/12 - Sick, fever, terrible coughing, extreme fatigue. X-rays and cat scan showed 2 areas on left lung (ULL and LLL)-diagnosis pneumonia. Hospitalized for 5 days. Was on antibiotics for weeks. Primary care doctor kept watch, sending her every month for x-rays May through August. Mass on ULL gone but LLL still showed shadow. CAT scan with contrast/September. LLL shadow on CAT scan. October/PET scan ordered, LLL mass lit up and lymph node on right side of chest, hilar area. Bronchoscopy/November 2012/preliminary tests shows Adenocarcinoma in lymph nodes, didn't get a good sample from LLL but they think that's where the primary tumor is. We are waiting for her first oncology appointment 12/6/2012. My mom is very depressed. Her oncology appointment cannot get here soon enough.
    FACEBOOK-Vickie Catara

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey61 View Post
    Hi Reels, I noticed your from Baltimore, what part? I am from upper Bel Air (north east). There is another person Mike who is also from maryland. I too am going through the waiting game and on my final test (I think?) biospy. I had a ct, pet/ct, pulmonary function, blood work and now I am on the CT needle biopsy which will confirm I'm sure because my pet lite up. Are you sure its 4cm? Your mom is in good spirits that is a really good thing, did she have any symptoms which prompted her to have the ct scan/biopsy? they did my pet before the biopsy but I have heard some people have it done after. I am wishing you all the best. Keep us updated there are so many wonderful people on this board that can really help you through this time. If your mom is having no symptoms and is upbeat thats a good thing. Mickey
    Mickey,
    Howard County area, so the West side. She is on the Eastern Shore. Its a run around at best. She went in for loss of breath. About a month of constant tired and loss of breath. Found mass(es) on her xrays. Pet scan revealed another on her Adrenal Gland. She has 4 spots on her lungs, the largest is SUV=8.5 (whatever that means). Now another CAT scan to see if anything has moved to her brain. Then 3 weeks waiting for the next appointment. Which, to me is WAY too long. Keep fighting brother, keep in touch

+ Reply to Thread