A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: esophagogastrectomy surgery, agony after eating, solved.

Newbie New User

esophagogastrectomy surgery, agony after eating, solved.

My father had an esophagogastrectomy in june 2012 due to stage 3 esopageal cancer. He was able to eat without much pain until about 3 months ago. He would eat, and then about 10 -15 minutes later, he would have what felt like bungee cords in his abdomen, and a pulsating feeling, then agonizing gnawing pain. No doctors had any suggestions except for mylanta and gas-x. Nothing was helping. He is a tough guy and he was doubled over, being punished with pain every time he ate.
    Last week we met with the hospitals dietician who suggested to my dad's radiologist that he prescribe Creon , a pancreatic enzyme. My dad popped 2 of them and within a half hour had the first pain free meal in months. We are so grateful the dietician came up with the simple, brilliant solution. Apparently the esophagogastrectomy scar tissue had left his pancreas unable to pump the necessary gastric juices he needed for digestion. My father wanted me to write about his experience with the hope it'll save someone the unnecessary pain.

Super Moderator Top User DebbieC's Avatar
    That is great for your dad...and thank you for sharing. I am very familiar with creon (my dad had pancreatic cancer) and I know for him it was a godsend. Happy to hear it helped your dad, and can help others, as well!
    March 21, 2011 - Dad diagnosed. Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma on head of pancreas.
    April 2011 - Gemcitabine and radiation for a total of 12 weeks.
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    March 2, 2012 - CT scan and discovery of possible mets to both lungs.
    March 23, 2012 - Biopsy confirmed recurrence.
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    June 2, 2012 - Switched to Xeloda
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

♥ Forever in my heart! Miss you every day more than words can say! ♥

+ Reply to Thread