A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: anyone with pancreatic cancer on the body?

anyone with pancreatic cancer on the body?

Hi all..

i am new here... my dad diagnosed with pancreatic cancer stage 4 a month and a week ago... Doctor could not find it through blood test.. we found it by accidents through usg... he was experiencing chills for a few weeks.. my mom though he was just having the flue or some other light sickness (he had a car accident on august.. so we though probably his immune system is still low).. Come new year his health suddenly drop.. He complained about pain in his tummy... but all of us still think its probably because he was drinking too much antibiotic.. gave him gastric pain reliever.. and he said it helps... but still have a pain.. so we brought him to singapore to see gastric doctor and when usg result come.. doctor told us to go ct scan... ct scan result come out.. doctor told us he has cancer and its already spreading to his lung and liver..

next day he went to see oncologist and within a few days started chemo (xelox).. apparently the chemo is ineffective.. within 3 weeks he is unable to walk and very weak... his urine started to change to tea like colour.. doctor gave up on him.. we find another doctor who wants to treat him... he is now on biological treatment (for his liver) and oral chemo with a very low dosage... (its been 2 weeks) but he is started to lose his energy... he lose his confidence.. seldom watch tv now... getting tired easily (sleeps more)... doesnt really want to talk much...

my question is that the doctor told us that cancer on the body of the pancreas usually is not painful as others... is that true? anyone with experience of taking care of loved one with pancreas cancer on the body? what medicine helps? side effect? how long is the life expectancy? is my dad near the end of his journey?

thank you so much.. i need any information i can get because all of this are very new to us

thank you once again

Hi, I have never heard it said that cancer 'on the body' of the pancreas is less painfull, however, my husbands pc did start in the neck and body of the pancreas and overal he has had very little back pain compared to other people around here. His greatest pain was mostly been in his stomach area. At the moment he is at endstages and heavily medicated so he is feeling no pain.

Queensville.
    July 22 2011 Hubby (64) Diagnosed PanCan. Sept2011- Feb 2012: Abraxane/Gemcitabine. Feb-May 2012:Gemcitabine only. June-Sept 2012 5FU. Sept 4-no more chemo - Just living life. Multiple stents. Jan 2013/18 month mark. Mets everywhere. Looking for a bumper sticker that says 'Stay at safe distance - Driver suffering caregiver burnout'. Hospice Thurs Feb 28 2013. March 12 2013 he went off to his new adventure where we will one day meet again. It was 20 months from date of diagnosis until now.

Senior User
    I have to agree with Queensville. I've not heard it put quite that way. My mothers is in the body and tail of the pancreas. She was good until last week and started to have a little pain in the stomach. Back pain has not been a major issue for her. At the end of the day though, pain is subjective. What may be overly painful for me, could be a walk in the park for someone else. As far as pain goes, the oncologist can suggest a different chemo as a palliative measure, if that's the case for you. Otherwise, your doctor can suggest pain killers that will work. We've got Tylenol 4s with codeine for if/when it will be needed.

Banned Senior User
    So sorry for what your dad and you are going through. Pancreatic cancer, stage 4, is a very deadly diagnosis. When my Mom got diagnosed late May, 2012, she refused chemo. They suggested she take xoloda, but I did a lot of research, and my understanding was that xoloda by itself without any other agents, is salvage chemo, and does not improve life expectancy by much. The dark urine, the fatigue, the disconnect from the outside world, the loss of interest in watching television, were all things we went through. They are part of the depression, pancreatic cancer causes, plus the horrid realization that a person has a terminal disease causes them to be depressed. It is all so human and rational. My Mom lasted two months from date of diagnosis to the time she passed. She had liver and lung mets, and the fluids in the lungs built up, and the end came very fast. I am so sorry that I cannot provide more hope for you, but short of a miracle, most people with this type of diagnosis who are not undergoing aggressive chemo treatment, are not expected to survive for longer than six months at best.

thank you for replying...

yes... i understand that pancreas cancer has no cure.. which is very sad... and thank you for letting me know that when the end is near they can be medicated so they feel less painful.. that is very important to us..

@heartbroken.. i am sorry for your loss.. and appreciated it that you still want to share your experience with me

@ElleM and Queensville... thank you for replying.. and i will pray for your husband and mom too.. Let us be strong in facing this...

i was told earlier on that both of my parents are crying and talking about death... My dad told us that in case the end is near for him and he wont be at home during his death... he wished to be cremated so it is easier for us to bring him home... its just so sad to hear him talking about the end of his journey... he is a strong dad and too see him cry makes us heart broken...

i hope that they will find cure to cancer soon

Hi Daughter of a strong Dad. My father has his tumour on the body of the pancreas. He still feels pain, mainly in the stomach and abdomen area, but also shoulders. He is in his fifth month of no treatment and has the Palliative Care are involved, so we are heading towards the end. I know he has had pain for the last two months and it has continued to get worse daily. Now we are blessed to have the Palliative care nurse managing the pain with Morphine, and they are doing a wonderful job. Dad seems so much more at ease with not feeling any pain. The side affect of course is that he is "groggy", but the fact that he is not suffering is great comfort to him and to us.

So, in answering your question.....my Dad still has pain with the cancer being in the 'body' of the pancreas, and seems to share very similiar symptoms to those who have it in the tail and head of the pancreas.

I wish you well. xx

I had stomach pains and finally went to the ER. After a CT scan it showed masses on the liver and adjacent lymph nodes that was consistent with another primary source. After further analysis of the CT scan they found the primary source to be the pancreas, and I was at stage IV, inoperable and 3 - 4 months to get my affairs in order. As of Mar 6 I am at 15 months since diagnosis. There was someone else on this forum that was diagnosed with stage IV PC and was starting treatment. He passed 3 weeks later. There is no telling on how well your dad will tolerate treatments or how effective they will be. What works for me, may not work for him. Get treatment. Enjoy each and every visit to it's fullest. Good luck, and ask questions at the Dr's office and here.
    12/06/11 - Diag w/Stage IV PC on head of pancreas. Liver and lymph mets
    06/01/12 - Months of Gemzar chemo. Scan shows 50% smaller in size of liver tumors. Panc tumor shows 10% smaller in size.
    10/22/12 - Scan shows spots on lungs. Moving to MM-398 trial. Bad side effects.
    12/14/12 - One year mark. Scan shows no appreciable change.
    03/06/13 - 15 month mark. Scan not good. Now on Xeloda pills.

@hopeful daughter

thank you for sharing and i will keep your father in my prayer too

@bbake1
    wow... and thank you for sharing... *hugs*

my brother just called us... doctor told us to be prepared... the worst gonna come.. since his liver is not improving and acid build up in his body (i am still searching the internet what does it mean by this)..

but i am still hoping that doctor is wrong... life is in God's hand... so i am still really hoping that its not this soon...
    we are going to see him this weekend... i hope he can enjoy our company and we can put a smile or even a laughter on him

thank you for all those who share their experience... its comforting to know that we can give him medication so he wont be feeling too much pain

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Daughter View Post
    Hi Daughter of a strong Dad. My father has his tumour on the body of the pancreas. He still feels pain, mainly in the stomach and abdomen area, but also shoulders. xx
    My husband also had terrible pain in both shoulders. Be sure to mention this to the doctor. We thought it was stress until one of the doctors gave a medical reason ( I can't remember - spleen for left?) Anyways, make sure they know.

Take Care, Queensville
    July 22 2011 Hubby (64) Diagnosed PanCan. Sept2011- Feb 2012: Abraxane/Gemcitabine. Feb-May 2012:Gemcitabine only. June-Sept 2012 5FU. Sept 4-no more chemo - Just living life. Multiple stents. Jan 2013/18 month mark. Mets everywhere. Looking for a bumper sticker that says 'Stay at safe distance - Driver suffering caregiver burnout'. Hospice Thurs Feb 28 2013. March 12 2013 he went off to his new adventure where we will one day meet again. It was 20 months from date of diagnosis until now.

My wife has been having pain in the shoulder and back of the neck. When she went to Hearth Place a cancer patient place and got a massage, the therapist told her it was just a lot of knots in the shoulder and back of neck, of course being a patient with a port, it was a light massage, but she felt great after it with a heating pad. If not sure as Queensville says, get it checked out if not sure. Le the MD's take care of it. You learn so much in this forum, everyone has the same symptoms, but then you learn of others that have symptoms that you never dreamed of and this is a good way of getting to know the symptoms and how hey they were treated by the doctors. I have learned alot from all of these wonderful people.

Peter

I think sometimes that I talk too much and people should just stop me.

Peter
    wife angela diagnosed with Ampullary cancer. Sep/12
    with mets to her liver
    started folfirinox on oct/12 with cd scan dec21
    ct scan scheduled in mar/12
    On Gemcitabine for 4 cycles
    Then another ct scan with good results
    Hoping for the best because she is my hero
    A few more spots on her liver and original,ones are larger
    New scan last week and showed improvement: scan showed
    no new tumors and big one got smaller, what a relief, best news
    October 2013 starting chemo again with radiation ( biggest tumour only)
    Doctor last resort chemo after being told exhausted all chemo options, caught us off gaurd
    No radiation, tumor too large, starting chemo again for 8 weeks and then scan
    waiting for scan, but do not want to see results until after the holidays
    results not good and now we have great days with family until time takes over
    never thought we would be here waiting for the end that we hope will never come
    Passed away, April 3, 2014. 18 months from since being diagnosed

+ Reply to Thread