A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Lymphoma Check-Up Timeline and Question about post-treatment symptoms

New Lymphoma Check-Up Timeline and Question about post-treatment symptoms

Hi All,

My husband Dan (as you may remember, now 27 yrs old and been in remission since August 25) received clean scan results again on February 15th.

The dr. told us that instead of having a CT scan every 3 months for 2 years then every 6 months for 3 years and then 1 Chest XRay a year after that for life, it will change to a CT scan every 6 months for 2 years and then a chest x-ray every year after that. New research shows that long exposure to the radiation is not good and that if he relapses he will know since it will be worse, therefore, there is no sense in doing the continuous scans. Has anyone else been told this? What are your thoughts?

Also, ever since completing his 4 cycles of ABVD and 15 radiation sessions, Dan has been sweating a lot... I will be cold and he is sweating, its 30 degrees out and he wants to wear short sleeves under a light jacket because he gets so warm. I talked to the DR and they said its probably from the chemo. Does anyone else experience the same thing?

Thanks,

Tanya

Hello. I am nearly 3 years in remission and had 6 monthly scans and bloods and I have now gone to yearly.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Super Moderator Top User po18guy's Avatar
    Great news about his clean scans!

One's body may do just about anything after the assault of chemotherapy. Changes in perspiration are not unusual. I would suppose that, the worse the chemo, the worse the potential after effects. One other thing: since he had ABVD, he may have some lung problems - which is expected in many cases - so coughing may crop up. Known as "bleo-lung", it is from the Bleomycin that is the "B" in the ABVD chemo regimen. A cough while showering or in high humidity might be one symptom of this. Any cough is worth having doctor having a listen, though.

As to scans, the younger one is, the more potential the radiation has for causing harm. Thus, less frequent scanning is always better. As well, any relapse will produce symptoms that you or he will notice. I have received head-to-pelvis scan series each and every 2 months since July, 2008. That has only recently dropped to every three months. I have asked doctor about a further decrease, but I am in a study and rules are rules.

As to getting back to normal, well, we cannot go back. We must accept our changed (damaged) state and move forward, happy to be alive.
    Dx 07/2008 Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma - Not Otherwise Specified, stage 4B.
    "Innumerable" tumors above/below diaphragm + Bone Marrow Involvement.
    4 cycles CHOP+Etoposide plus 4 cycles GND.
    NED at mid-point and completion of chemo 12/2008.
    Relapse 02/2009.
    Scheduled for palliative care.
    Clinical trial of Romidepsin 03/2009. CR, remained NED for 56 (28 day) cycles.
    Possible relapse 07/2013.
    08/2013 "re-induction" therapy of Romidepsin.
    Mixed results on 11/01/2013 scans.
    Treatment stopped 03/03/2014.
    02/10/14 Core needle biopsy indicates either no lymphoma or possible mutation into AngioImmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma(?)
    03/17/14 Excisional biopsy finds no evidence of lymphoma.
    CT scans 04/24/14 reveal that nodes and spleen have reduced 60%, apparently on their own.
    Officially on W&W, as odd as that sounds.

"Now, faith is the substance of things to be hoped for, the evidence of things that are not seen" Hebrews 11:1

Thank you so much for the information. I appreciate the feedback. I noticed he does cough once and a while, I will pay attention to when it happens and his current surroundings. I guess it depends on the person then for the scans. Thanks for all of the advice!!

Regular User
    CT scan schedule after remission.....

I had my clean PET after the last chemo and was told "quarterly for 2 years", then "semiannually for 3 years" and then once a year for life.

That same radiation report came out during that first year and my schedule was altered to 2 years of triannual CT's and then 3 years of semiannual CT's and then after 5 years, once a year.

Seems to have worked out okay so far, just had another clean scan!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Upstate New York, USA
    @ age 60, Aug 2011, Dx w/ Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma, stage 2, near diaphragm
    6 R-CHOP and Neulasta
    Clean remission PET Dec 2011
    Medi-port removed Jan 2013 (Yeah!)
    Last clean scan Mar 2013
    Next scheduled CAT scan for Mid July 2013
    Upstate New York, USA
    @ age 60, Aug 2011, Dx w/ Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma, stage 2, near diaphragm
    6 R-CHOP and Neulasta
    Clean remission PET Dec 2011
    Medi-port removed Jan 2013
    Last clean CT scan Jan 2014, on 2X year schedule now
    Moving forward, moving forward.........

+ Reply to Thread