A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bitter Melon Juice

Regular User

Bitter Melon Juice

I bought some of this for my wife. Supplements. Evidently it showed promising results in rats or mice or whatever they test them on. Study came out a few days ago. It's relatively cheap (compared to chemo) and for the most part safe (diabetics might be more cautious), in fact many people use it in their meals. So maybe will try to get the wife to try it. Not that we're dropping chemo but I am keeping open minded, even though in the past I'd write off most herbal or vitiamin type treatments as hooey.

Bitter Melon......Hummmmm it sounds so yummy....lol
    Oct 9,2012 Hubby's ( 65 ) ERCP, Stent put in also told might be cancer
    Oct 23,2012 ( ERCP ) diagnosed. PC on head of pancreas.
    Nov. 5,2012 Whipple at Loma Linda Hosp.... could not be finished due to heart issues
    ( 4 1/2 hours into surgery )told it's also attached to Portal Vein, now only Chemo & Radiation
    11-27-12 Surgery site Infection
    Waiting for Chemo/Radiation
    1-6-13...Still waiting
    1-18-13 appt with Radiologist on 22nd.
    1-30-13 Hubby started on his radiation and Pill Chemo ( Xeloda 3200 mg per day ) for six weeks
    3-12-13 ( Bowel blockage) in Hospital Fluid being drained
    3-21-13 Last day of Chemo/radiation...Now on a much needed break
    4-18-13 New Stent put in metal with mesh
    4-19-13 2nd round of ( Xeloda ) 2 weeks on 1 week off till ? 4000 mg per day for 6 months ( changed to 3000 )
    6-12-13 Large Hernia at surgery site/won't be repaired due to his heart condition also losing toenails ( Xeloda )
    8-9-13 Taken off all Chemo just Living Life now and Keeping him Pain Free "In God's Hands"
    REMISSION NOW PRAYING IT WILL LAST 1-10-14

Regular User
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol Wal View Post
    Bitter Melon......Hummmmm it sounds so yummy....lol
    LOL. Yeah, I guess it sounds better than cow dung, which Steve Jobs was supposedly consuming as one of his "alternative" treatments.

Quote Originally Posted by kb57 View Post
    LOL. Yeah, I guess it sounds better than cow dung, which Steve Jobs was supposedly consuming as one of his "alternative" treatments.
    OK now ya got me.....YUCK " not laughing" .....OK maybe I'm laughing a little.....
    Oct 9,2012 Hubby's ( 65 ) ERCP, Stent put in also told might be cancer
    Oct 23,2012 ( ERCP ) diagnosed. PC on head of pancreas.
    Nov. 5,2012 Whipple at Loma Linda Hosp.... could not be finished due to heart issues
    ( 4 1/2 hours into surgery )told it's also attached to Portal Vein, now only Chemo & Radiation
    11-27-12 Surgery site Infection
    Waiting for Chemo/Radiation
    1-6-13...Still waiting
    1-18-13 appt with Radiologist on 22nd.
    1-30-13 Hubby started on his radiation and Pill Chemo ( Xeloda 3200 mg per day ) for six weeks
    3-12-13 ( Bowel blockage) in Hospital Fluid being drained
    3-21-13 Last day of Chemo/radiation...Now on a much needed break
    4-18-13 New Stent put in metal with mesh
    4-19-13 2nd round of ( Xeloda ) 2 weeks on 1 week off till ? 4000 mg per day for 6 months ( changed to 3000 )
    6-12-13 Large Hernia at surgery site/won't be repaired due to his heart condition also losing toenails ( Xeloda )
    8-9-13 Taken off all Chemo just Living Life now and Keeping him Pain Free "In God's Hands"
    REMISSION NOW PRAYING IT WILL LAST 1-10-14

Senior User
    Very Western Central Idaho Almost to Oregon Border
    When I was using Black Salve for some skin tumors, mostly basil cell and squamous cell and two melanoma, I had the one version I used had bitter melon in it. I really do not know if it made a difference because when I made up my own black salve with out the bitter melon it worked as well as what I bought with the bitter melon in it.

Since this forum is more towards conventional treatment you might not get many responses.
    73 Year old Husband has/had:
    1-23-13 Mass on pancreas. Stent placed. Adenocarcinoma suspected and biopsy diagnosed Jan 31,2013. Stage three due to non operable.
    2-18-13 Port placed.
    2-19-13-First Folfox round. Folfox rounds reduced after third and tenth through 7-26-13.
    8-2-13 CT scan Mass strands have moved away from SMV.
    8-14-13 Whipple surgery preformed. Pathology clean margins no lymph involvement. Hospitalized 24 days. Long slow recovery. Lost 20 pounds.
    11-5-13 Scheduled to see oncologist for follow up chemo and radiation as needed.
    Still too weak after surgery and pneumonia for chemo and radiation
    12-4-13-CT scan and blood work
    12-10-13-CT scan clear NED Blood work Ca 19-9 35 No chemo or radiation at this time.
    2-26-14 Next CT scan and Blood work Still NED Doing great so far.
    5-29-14 Next CT scan

Senior User
    Yes! I believe in bitter for the whats in called in it that is supposed to help! I personally believe in herbal with a chemo combo. I don't take anything specific anymore but I will probably go back to it when I get some sort of routine down. Good job in giving in a try!
    www.CancerKickinGirl.com

Fall 2011 - SO SICK. Should have seen a Dr. for diagnosis!!
    Beg. of 2012 Age 26 - Almost DEAD & diagnosed Stage 4 Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer - Spread to Liver, Lymph nodes, Stomach, Cervix, Abdomen & Bowels... VERY SEVERE CASE of PC
    8/12 - Hospitalized for a week for spleen rupture
    2/13 Chemo stable/ cysts shrunk, no growth - I'll take that
    3/13 Hospitalized for hole in fistula in colon caused by cancer. Got stent and healing!

Newbie New User

Bitter Melon Drink Recipe

Having read about the benefits of Bitter Melon for both diabetes and pancreatic cancer, I decided to try to find out a good way to use it. I am diabetic and my husband is a 49 month pancreatic cancer survivor. I found a recipe for this juice on the Internet.

1/2 of a bitter melon
    1/2 of a cucumber
    2 stalks of celery
    1/2 of a green pepper
    1 green apple (I chose a Granny Smith)

At first, I used my juicer to make this blend but have recently bought a Vitamix machine and am blending the entire vegetable/fruit (sans apple seeds) and it is more of a smoothy than a juice. The taste is actually quite refreshing! I will let you know what our results (health-wise) are....Good luck!

Super Moderator Top User DebbieC's Avatar
    Bonjo,

Just wondering what treatments your husband has had for his pancan?
    March 21, 2011 - Dad diagnosed. Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma on head of pancreas.
    April 2011 - Gemcitabine and radiation for a total of 12 weeks.
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    March 2, 2012 - CT scan and discovery of possible mets to both lungs.
    March 23, 2012 - Biopsy confirmed recurrence.
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    June 2, 2012 - Switched to Xeloda
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

♥ Forever in my heart! Miss you every day more than words can say! ♥

Newbie New User
    Hi Debbie! He was diagnosed on March 25, 2009 and had a Whipple Procedure done by Dr. Diane Simeone at the University of Michigan Cancer Center. Soon after, he had chemo and radiation. In January of 2011, the PC returned...to his Omental Drape. We started a clinical trial @ U of M in March. It involved chemo and a "Hedgehog Inhibitor". Tudors slowly got smaller but he found that he couldn't eat and he lost a lot of weight. So in June, 2012, we left that CT. After checking out other CTs, we started another CT @ U of M, which utilized a protein inhibitor. It kept the rumors stable until February of this year. Two weeks ago, he began chemotherapy utilizing Ocilliplatin (sp?) and Xeloda...our hope is to see the tumor shrink again but we are constantly searching for promising new CTs. We have also found supplements and healthy foods that are purported to help to extinguish this HORRIBLE BULLY CANCER! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Love!

Newbie New User
    I just now noticed the "history" of your father's illness...I am new to this page. I am so sorry...

Regular User
    I was diagnosed a few months ago with neuroendocrine tumor (islet cell) on my pancreas with mets to liver; i began a heavy regimen of supplements prior to beginning treatment; upon beginning my targeted therapy (Afinitor) i stopped all of the supplements. I plan on beginning some of them again since I just had my scan to check the progress. I wanted to see my response to the afinitor with out any affect from supplements. I will check out the bitter melon - thanks for the tip. Sending lots of positive energy to you!

Super Moderator Top User DebbieC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonjo View Post
    I just now noticed the "history" of your father's illness...I am new to this page. I am so sorry...
    Thank you, Bonjo. You know the disappointment when the cancer returns. I see that your husband had a nice stretch before his returned, which is nice, but I'm sure the shock and sadness are the same.

I've expressed my opinion on complementary therapies before and I just want to put it out there again. I'm glad to hear that your husband is receiving conventional therapy. There are some that come through and claim that these types of things are what cured the cancer...I'm glad you're not one of them.

The one thing that I have to caution in regard to complementary therapies and supplements (not necessarily bitter melon juice, but other supplements) is to check with the doctor and make sure that it will not have an adverse reaction along with treatment. Sometimes when you take certain things, or too many combinations, it can actually cause the patient more harm than good, and lessen the effects of the treatment. The American Cancer Society has a great resource that lists complementary and alternative therapies and any known side effects, as well as their effectiveness. Again, I'm not talking specifically about bitter melon, but it's kind of my duty to put that caution out there. Ok...my public service announcement for the day is over.

I hope your husband's treatment goes well...no, better than well!

Debbie
    March 21, 2011 - Dad diagnosed. Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma on head of pancreas.
    April 2011 - Gemcitabine and radiation for a total of 12 weeks.
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    March 2, 2012 - CT scan and discovery of possible mets to both lungs.
    March 23, 2012 - Biopsy confirmed recurrence.
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    June 2, 2012 - Switched to Xeloda
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

♥ Forever in my heart! Miss you every day more than words can say! ♥

Senior User
    My wife's cousin is one of the folks doing research on the hedgehog inhibitors. I did not know there was a clinical trial on it yet, her big paper just came out last month.
    Diagnosed June 20, 2012 with adenocarcinoma of the pancreas.
    Surgery on July 19, 2012, distal pancreatectomy with removal of a portion of the stomach and colon adhering to the pancreas, splenectomy.
    Pathology report July 26, 2012, clear margins all around
    Stage 2 (T3N0) in July, changed to Stage 3 Oct. 10.
    Started Gemzar Sept. 17, 2012
    6 month scan clean, NED
    Completed chemo end of March.
    July 5, scan shows pseudocyst between what is left of my stomach and pancreas.
    July 12, two stents put in to drain pseudocyst, pain on left side reduced.
    Pain under control, just dealing with the digestive issues, alternating between constipation and diarrhea.
    Dec. 6, results of last scan, 10 mm and 6mm mets to liver, 3 small mets to lungs.
    March 25, folfirinox is working but bad reaction to oxaliplatin. Giving it one more try.
    Switched to folfiri, minor reaction, probably moving on to gem-abrax for next round.

Newbie New User
    My mom have been diagnosed with PC on 23 July 2013. Had whipple done on 25 July. Receievd first dose of chemo on 21 August 2013second dose 2 Sep 2013. Some friend said do no eat meat but mom is loosing weight. We dont know what to do, any advice? Will bitter melon thinning blood given she is not eating much now.

Its devastating for us, any help or recommendation is appreacited.

Hi, My wife ate some but, I couldnt stand it unless it was in some sort of drink with fruit.
    j

Senior User
    Very Western Central Idaho Almost to Oregon Border
    Liv my husband just had the whipple done. 4 weeks ago tomorrow. He is doing good eating chicken and fish lots of instant breakfast fortified with non fat instant milk powder. Custards and jello and applesauce. Swiss chees or any low fat cheese. I give him cranberry juice as one drink a day. I keep a journal in MS Word. Open office has the same program and it is free. It really helps us to track calorie and fat intake and any other notable information IE Stools 02s levels and reactions BP Temp etc. He is slowly gaining back the 14 pounds he lost right after surgery.

Chris
    73 Year old Husband has/had:
    1-23-13 Mass on pancreas. Stent placed. Adenocarcinoma suspected and biopsy diagnosed Jan 31,2013. Stage three due to non operable.
    2-18-13 Port placed.
    2-19-13-First Folfox round. Folfox rounds reduced after third and tenth through 7-26-13.
    8-2-13 CT scan Mass strands have moved away from SMV.
    8-14-13 Whipple surgery preformed. Pathology clean margins no lymph involvement. Hospitalized 24 days. Long slow recovery. Lost 20 pounds.
    11-5-13 Scheduled to see oncologist for follow up chemo and radiation as needed.
    Still too weak after surgery and pneumonia for chemo and radiation
    12-4-13-CT scan and blood work
    12-10-13-CT scan clear NED Blood work Ca 19-9 35 No chemo or radiation at this time.
    2-26-14 Next CT scan and Blood work Still NED Doing great so far.
    5-29-14 Next CT scan

Senior User
    Be cautious adding things, even "natural" treatments without consulting your doctor. My husband tried bitter melon and it made him incredibly sick and, we believe, exacerbated some symptoms. When we told the onc. what we had done, he wasn't too thrilled and cautioned us from attempting these treatments without consulting him first. Just be careful.
    Oct 16, 2012 - Husband, 65, diagnosed with Stage 4 PC, 2.5 cm growth in tail of pancreas and 3 small mets, one on liver, two in abdominal wall
    Oct 28, 2012 - Began Folfirinox
    Nov 26, 2012 - Third and final Folfirinox, husband lost 70 lbs in 4 months, 35 since beginning treatment
    Jan 2, 2013 - Scan reveals progression of disease, however husband has regained 20 lbs since December. Folfirinox ended. No chemo while husband is feeling well.
    March 18, 2013 - Recheck, but no new scan. Regained total of 35 lbs, to 197, husband is asymptomatic and feeling very good.
    April 24, 2013 - CT scan reveals more mets in the liver, ascites present, 4.5 liters removed, weight back down 27 lbs to 170 (in 5 weeks).
    April 29, 2013 - Began new chemo regimen of Gemzar and Abraxene.
    May 29, 2013 - Determined that cannot continue chemo. Weight down 29 more pounds to 141 (in 5 more weeks). Feeling forlorn.
    May 30, 2013 - Began home hospice, 7 1/2 months after diagnosis.
    August 6, 2013 - Weight down to 120. One year ago he weighed 245 lbs.
    August 14, 2013 - He passed from his suffering with me by his side, loving him to the very end. Pour toujours, my love.

+ Reply to Thread