A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I was told yesterday my PSA was 17.8...

Regular User

I was told yesterday my PSA was 17.8...

Yes, I was told yesterday my PSA was 18.7. (Sorry, title saying 17.8 is wrong...transposed). My last test was 12 months ago and it was normal 2.1. I'm 46. But, I've been on testosterone replacement therapy for 3.5 years. But, I just got over urinary tract infection prior to the 18.7 test being done. The infection was gone by the testing day, but the test was just after it cleared. 18.7 My concern is the testosterone replacement therapy triggerred growth of something.

Last 6-8 months I've been very tired and sleeping heavily. It was so bad that I stopped taking testosterone entirely 6 weeks ago. I have felt better since stopping. I've been off testosterone for 6 weeks and know not to take it again.

I see my GP doctor today. She wants me to retest PSA in two weeks and only then will she refer me to a urologist. Given everthing, what should I expect frim my GP at todays visit. Staying calm...know false positives are common, but also can not stop thinking about it....
    Last edited by Notpretty; 05-18-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Top User
    Welcome.
    If I understand you have had a course of antibiotic and are not currently taking testosterone.
    PSA can rise from inflammation, infection and prostate cancer.
    You might consider other blood tests such as Free PSA (higher is better.) or PCA3.
    Also the Digital Rectal Exam may find nodules on prostate, if there are any.
    Another option to consider later is a biopsy where spring loaded needles are shot into the prostate through the rectum. (It stung a bit in my case.Outpatient test.)
    It is unlikely that headache is related.
    An important factor is your age. What is it?
    Anyway good luck on any further testing.
    DOB Sept. 1947. Prostate cancer Gleason 7 (3+4), PSA 5 in Oct 2010. Cryoablation Jan. 2011. Had some complications.
    Experienced nocturia, irritable bladder summer 2011. "Agent Orange"compensation from VA Oct 2011.
    PSA .05 01/26/2012, .06 6/26/2012, .04 12/24/2012, PSA .04 6/26/13, PSA .05 1/27/14
    I am eating vegan mostly plus a little fish. Take some supplements.
    (Any advice given is the personal opinion of a layman and is not intended to replace the advice of a health professional.)

Regular User
    Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!

I'm 46 years old.

To clarify, I was on TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) for the last 3.5 years, but I was feeling so crappy with headaches, fatigue, emotional mood issues, depression and more, that I quit taking vertually all my prescription meds 6 weeks ago...including testosterone.

I got sick with a bad cold 3 weeks after stopping all my meds and went to the Doctor. She thought I had a urinary tract infection. And, I did after labs confirmed it. She put me on cipro for ten days and said lets test you after that to make sure the infection had cleared. She also tested me for PSA and a few other things as a matter of routine. When the results came in yesterday my PSA was 18.7.

I am back from the doctor now and she wants to retest me in two weaks. She did not do a rectal exam. Should she have? She said if my scores in 2 weeks remain high she would refer me to a urologist for more tests. I've never had a rectal exam. I think its low on most Doctor's list of things to do...understandably. She thinks the high PSA score is a result of the UTI and in two weeks we should see a drop in the score. Is this sound Doctor advice? Should she have done more or someting else?
    Last edited by Notpretty; 05-18-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Moderator Top User HighlanderCFH's Avatar
    It sounds like the above reasons could account for the rise in PSA. Can you tell us how old you are?

I'd wait for those 2 weeks and take another PSA test. In the 72 hours prior to the test, do NOT: have any sex, ride a bike, allow a doctor to perform a DRE, etc. Anything that stresses the prostate can trigger a temporary spike in the PSA.

One last thought would be that, if you are over 40, you probably should have a regular (and highly experienced) urologist to begin tracking your PSA on an annual basis. This would be a wise thing to do because, with your father having had PC, your chances of having it in the future (or perhaps now) are TWICE as good as normal. If any other direct relatives have had PC, then your chances are even greater.

So it would be good to get on top of this and stay on top of it. Then, if PC should come along you'll be prepared to deal with it early and then be okay.

Good luck!
    Chuck
    July 2011 local PSA lab reading 6.41 (from 4.1 in 2009). Mayo Clinic PSA 9/ 2011 = 5.7.
    Local uro DRE revealed significant BPH, no lumps.
    PCa Dx Aug. 2011 age of 61.
    Biopsy DXd adenocarcinoma in 3/20 cores (one 5%, two 20%). T2C.
    Gleason 3+3=6. CT abdomen, bone scan negative.
    DaVinci prostatectomy 11/1/11 at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN), nerve sparing, age 62.
    Surgeon was Dr. Matthew Tollefson, who I highly recommend.
    Final pathology shows tumor confined to prostate.
    5 lymph nodes, seminal vesicules, extraprostatic soft tissue all negative.
    1.0 x 0.6 x 0.6 cm mass involving right posterior inferior, right posterior apex & left
    mid posterior prostate. Right posterior apex margin involved by tumor over 0.2 cm length,
    doctor says this is insignificant.
    Prostate 98 grams, tumor 2 grams.
    Catheter out in 7 days. No incontinence, minor dripping for a few weeks.
    Post-op exams 2/13/12, 9/10/12, 9/9/13 PSA <0.1
    Firmer erections finally surfacing in August, 2014.

Top User
    If your PSA continues to test high, then you will end up getting a Digital Rectal Exam when you see a urologist.
    Most primary doctors are willing to do them.
    DOB Sept. 1947. Prostate cancer Gleason 7 (3+4), PSA 5 in Oct 2010. Cryoablation Jan. 2011. Had some complications.
    Experienced nocturia, irritable bladder summer 2011. "Agent Orange"compensation from VA Oct 2011.
    PSA .05 01/26/2012, .06 6/26/2012, .04 12/24/2012, PSA .04 6/26/13, PSA .05 1/27/14
    (Any advice given is the personal opinion of a layman and is not intended to replace the advice of a health professional.)

Regular User
    Hi again. My age is 46, male.
    Last edited by Notpretty; 05-18-2013 at 06:02 PM.

Regular User
    My second test results are in!,

I went from 18.7 to 14.9 What does that mean if anything?

I'm being referred to a Urologist and will have a phone consultation in no less than 3 days. What should I expect of Kaiser Permanente? I Assume a digital rectal exam...probably more testing? Should I demand/expect a biopsy now?

Doc says good news is its lower...but still high. Could it drop to normal in 2 weeks I asked. She says not likely. Is that true? Hiw much can score swing in short periods of time?

I'm keeping it cool around wife and daughter (10 years) but frankly I'm scared as can be.

Any feedback would be appreciated....Good or Bad. I am the type to want the truth in clear and ungarbled terms.
    Last edited by Notpretty; 05-18-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Top User
    Urologists get paid to determine WHY your PSA has jumped from 2.1 to 15 in the space of a year..Coupled with the abnormal DRE, you can expect a prostate biopsy in your near future..Not something to look forward to, but it's over in 15 minutes....Until then, it's all guesswork...

TV is saturated with ads touting testosterone gels and creams..These ads spend the majority of their airtime detailing the negative aspects and side-effects of using them. The negative side of HRT seems to far outweigh the positive side.....
    PSA at age 55: 3.5, DRE negative.
    65: 8.5, DRE " normal", biopsy, 12 core, negative...
    66 9.0 DRE "normal", BPH, (Proscar)
    67 4.5 DRE "normal" second biopsy, negative.
    67.5 5.6, DRE "normal" U-doc worried..
    age 68, 7.0, third biopsy (June 2010) positive for cancer in 4 cores, 2 cores Gleason 6, one core Gleason 7. one core Gleason 9. RALP on Sept. 3, 2010, Positive margin, post-op PSA. 0.9, SRT , HT. Feb.2011 PSA <0.1 Oct 2011 <0.1 Feb 2012 <0.01 Sept 2012 0.8 June 2013 1.1, Casodex added, PSA 0.04 10/2013. PSA 0.32 1/14. On 6/14 PSA 0.4, "T"-5.

Regular User
    I was 2.1 a year ago. Can a PSA score go up to 18.7 in one year... and not be cancer? Hoping for false pos.

And, is the drop in two weeks from 18.7 to 14.9 a good sign? Doc says I may have just an inflamed prostate hanging on from the urinary tract infection and that it may take months to cone back to normal. That doesn't make sense to me. Feel like smoke is beingblown up my prostate?

Last I struggle with bad constipation due to narcotics ihave to take making stools large, very hard and lumpy. This could affect the prostate like a DRE...cause false positive? Yes/No?

Please give feedback....PLEASE.....

Never had a DRE
    Never seen a urologist...yet. Will soon.
    Freaking out...reading and not seening anyone with scores as high as mine. Am I a dead man?
    Last edited by Notpretty; 05-18-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Top User
    Hey again.
    I would try to take it one day at a time.
    And you don't know if you have it. There are many gradations of prostate cancer, most of which are slow growing.
    I can't speak for Kaiser but urologists schedule biopsies as outpatient procedures and they are somewhat unpleasant. So you would not get a biopsy at the first urologist appointment. Nothing is likely to happen real fast to you.
    IF you did have prostate cancer, you are very likely to live for many years.

Nope, you are FAR from being a dead man. Yes, your PSA is high -- the norm would be 4.0 or less. But there are also people out there with PSAs that run in the HUNDREDS and even 1,000+. Your case could be attributed to infection since the PSA number has dropped by several points.

An interesting question on whether struggling with large stools can affect the PSA as they pass along the prostate. Do you recall having such stools in the day or two prior to your PSA tests? Generally speaking, anything that stresses the prostate can cause a temporary spike in the PSA level.
    I don't know if this can affect the reading, but a uro could probably tell you.

The best thing is to go under the care of a very good urologist -- highly experienced & competent -- and see what is what.

Chances are excellent that you will be just fine -- even if PC should be present. The trick is to not hesitate to start getting checked on a regular basis.

Hang in there, you'll be just fine.
    Chuck
    July 2011 local PSA lab reading 6.41 (from 4.1 in 2009). Mayo Clinic PSA 9/ 2011 = 5.7.
    DaVinci prostatectomy 11/1/11 at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN), nerve sparing, age 62.
    1.0 x 0.6 x 0.6 cm mass involving right posterior inferior, right posterior apex & left
    mid posterior prostate. Right posterior apex margin involved by tumor over 0.2 cm length,

Regular User
    Highlander. Thanks for the feedback. Thanks for taking the time. I do really appreciate it.

These folks with PSA's that run into the hundreds and thousands...what percentage of them have cancer. I'm asking this seriously. What is different about my score is the high level. When I read people's signatures here it scares me being so high. I see nobody with numbers like mine. Does, a high number with no glaring prostate symptoms like pain or burning during urination or start stop or freaquent trips, etc., mean I likely have cancer cell producingtge PSA. It just seems logical that i could not have a score this high without cancer and wand not have some prostate symptoms of inflamation or infection. I have none. So when I combine that with a high score I fear the source of the PSA came from cancer cells...not prostate cells. Then I fear spreading and advanced... just logical thinking..I truly hope its wrong.
    Male 46 years old
    First PSA high on 4/30/2013 18.7...one year earlier It was 2.1
    Second test two weeks after first 5/14/2013 PSA 14.9
    Waiting now for Urologist to call following primary doctor referral.

Senior User
    I sincerely hope there is no one here that will tell you, yes, definitively, YOU HAVE CANCER. That's for your doctors to reseach, test, and apply their knowledge to confirm or deny. Dr. Myers told me of a patient he was currently treating, 61 yrs old, fantastic shape, NO SYMPTOMS, with a PSA of 5,000. Yes, 5,000. The patient's MO had ran bone scan after bone scan after bone scan and could find no cancer. He finally sent the patient to Dr. Myers on a consult. After scans at Sand Lake Imaging, it was discovered that the patient had a 2 inch layer of tumor completely surrounding his abdomen without bony mets. The important point here is PCa is often, usually, asymptomatic until it metastasizes. This patient had no pain with a PSA of 5,000. Dr. Myers stated that he had never seen a PCA patient alive with a PSA over 10,000 and this patient's doubling time was around 2 weeks. I don't know how that one turned out. Try to relax, let your doctor's diagnose and treat you.

mkane09

P.S. I was asymptomatic until my PSA hit 155...
    Last edited by mkane09; 05-19-2013 at 12:58 AM. Reason: additional info
    PSA 6.48, biopsy Gleason 3+4, robotic prostatectomy 9/17/08, pathology Gleason 4+5, pathologic stage T2c, positive margins, SRT completed May 22, 2009. 1st post-radiation PSA, 8-4-09, <0.06. 2nd post-radiation PSA 12-22-09 <0.06. PSA, July 23, 2010: <0.06. PSA, January 10, 2012: 13.90. Re-test, February 6, 2012: 16.47. April 6, 2012: 25.6. PSA, May 2, 2012: 37.74. PSA, May 27, 2012: 37.4. PSA, June 17, 2012: 51. PSA, Sept 27, 2012: 110.24. PSA, January 28, 155. May, 2013, Well, you get the idea...

You're welcome Notpretty,

We're all here to help as much as we can. The way your PSA has changed from 18.7 down to 14.9 could be suggestive of some sort of problem that is NOT prostate cancer, so try to ease your fears until you speak with a well seasoned urologist.

Remember also that PSA is not always indicative of cancer, or even an absence of cancer. I've read posts from guys who turned up with prostate cancer while having a PSA reading barely more than 1.0. Also remember that the earlier stages of PC often do NOT have any symptoms. So, while it is possible that you could have PC, it is also very possible that it could still be in the curable stage.

Also, as you're probably learning now, your numbers are right in there with what we've all seen before. Nothing we HAVEN'T seen before. You'll find posts along the way from guys with PSAs much lower -- and much HIGHER -- than yours.

PSA, by itself, is not a diagnosis of PC or, for that matter, a confirmation that a person does not have it. It usually requires a biopsy to dx prostate cancer. And, since a biopsy only samples a fraction of the whole prostate, sometimes it takes several biopsies before it is finally found.

So try & take some deep breaths & schedule an appointment with a good uro as soon as you can. You might want to do some research on urologists in your local area and find which ones have the most experience -- and ask your doctor to direct the referral to them.

In the meantime, stay "tuned to this station" and we'll keep on discussing things with you as long as you wish.

Have a great weekend!
    Chuck

Regular User
    I get what everyone is saying and I really do appreciate the feedback. But, my score is high...relatively. And , yes it may not be cancer. But I am a realist and im a facts are facts type of guy. Telling me stories of people who were non-symptomatic before they learned they had cancer is of not helping me.

What I am hoping for...not to have cancer at all...requires all my 14.9 psa score to be coming from the prostate and NOT be coming from cancerous cells. The more I read the more it sounds like that is not likely. If the 14.9 was all from BPH or an infection or anything not cancer, then MOST OF THE TIME I would have some symptoms that go with BPH, infection or inflamation. But I don't. I have no fever, took antibiotic "cipro" for 10 days well before the latest test, have zero peeing issues, no pain or aches, am clear on urinary test for UTI, and blood test shows negative for inflamation. Given these facts, it remains possible its not cancer. But, is more likely than not to be cancer. Facts are facts.

I'd sure feel better about my odds of not having cancer if I had a fever, or struggled to pee or sensed some issue in the prostate. You see, telling me tons of people have had no symptoms before they learned they had cancer, doesn't help my situation. In fact it supports cancer. If people were telling me...I had a PSA of 20 or 12 or 18 and had no symptoms and it turned out to be nothing, then I'd feel better. I am not hearing that. But then again why would they be on this forum. I hope those people exist.

Despite this I am hopeful. I do see possible explanations. No, I don' t want anybody to say, yes you have cancer because the only thing that will confirm that is a biopsy. But, if my assessment is inaccurate and/or my facts are wrong, I'd love to hear that. And, frankly, if my assessment is right, I would like to hear that too.

Again, is it possible to have a low grade infection or have inflamation without symotoms. Not likely, but possible. Or, it could be due to constipation. These are what I'm left hoping for. And, I will keep hoping until I know otherwise.

More concerning facts: father had prostate cancer, killed it with beam and seed only. I was on testosterone replacement therapy before testing high on PSA. And, i was taking a bit more than I should have been taking too. Was always at the high end of the safe scale...maybe slightly higher...oops (insert image of TX gov Rick Perry here). I think I was essentially feeding the cancer for a year...if it comes out true.
    Last edited by Notpretty; 05-19-2013 at 08:29 PM.
    Male 46 years old
    First PSA high on 4/30/2013 18.7...one year earlier It was 2.1
    Second test two weeks after first 5/14/2013 PSA 14.9
    Waiting now for Urologist to call following primary doctor referral.

Senior User
    NotPretty, i don't usually give advice here, because i have not been diagnosed (yet) and i don't know nearly as much as these guys. Although i think i know a lot more than the average guy about PCa, thanks to these guys, and the guys on another forum.
    With that said, i went through what you are going through so i want to help. I dont mean i went through what you are going through, regarding the numbers. I mean, the anticipation, the wanting answers NOW.
    My sense is that you are a lot like me. You are impatient, you are here looking for definitive answers about your situation, even though you know you can't get them here, or anywhere, other than from a medical professional, and only after proper tests have been run. And i am guessing you are anticipating the worst possible outcome. Just a guess.

So let me tell you, that I've been there. My PSA is low in absolute terms, but has been steadily rising for the last 6 years or so. Which is not good. I had a biopsy in November, which came back negative, although one core of 14 showed HI Grade PIN, which are abnormal cells that often eventually turn into cancer. So i am being watched.
    But what is important here, relating to your situation, is that when this was going on, is when i found this forum, and as Chuck can tell you, i was posting and also speaking with him privately, and i was in an absolute panic. I was a basket case from the moment the Urologist suggested i should do a biopsy, right until 10 days after the biopsy, when i got the results.
    So bottom line: I WASTED 3 WEEKS OF MY LIFE, LYING AROUND IMAGINING HORRIBLE THINGS, AND I CAN'T EVER GET THOSE THREE WEEKS BACK. EVER.
    I recently had a follow up PSA and its still low in absolute terms but its up again. I need to get another one in 4 months and if its up again, no doubt there is another biopsy coming. Maybe when that time comes, i will be insane again. But i like to think that i learned a lot since then, so maybe it wont happen.
    Right now, it pops into my head once in a while, but i won't let it overtake my life, and prevent me from enjoying what i have right now. Which is no diagnosis. I may have that for another 3 months, 3 years, or forever (doubtful). However i am pretty convinced that its a matter of when, not if, i will get diagnosed. And i am not going to let thoughts get in the way of enjoying myself until i do. And when and if it happens, I'll deal with it. I think i am more equipped to do so, now that i have been educated by the guys here, and my own reading.

Just get educated, so you can ask the right questions, make sure you do whatever testing the Dr suggests, you may not have cancer, but you may have it. If you do, its highly likely you wont die from it. That used to happen all the time. It doesn't happen that often anymore, thanks to the PSA and other tests now available.
    I'll leave the medical advice to others here, who are far more qualified than I to offer opinions in that regard. But i hope you will get hold of your thoughts, and just follow through, trying not to anticipate the worst. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Senior User
    Well put, Pratoman....

mkane09
    PSA 6.48, biopsy Gleason 3+4, robotic prostatectomy 9/17/08, pathology Gleason 4+5, pathologic stage T2c, positive margins, SRT completed May 22, 2009. 1st post-radiation PSA, 8-4-09, <0.06. 2nd post-radiation PSA 12-22-09 <0.06. PSA, July 23, 2010: <0.06. PSA, January 10, 2012: 13.90. Re-test, February 6, 2012: 16.47. April 6, 2012: 25.6. PSA, May 2, 2012: 37.74. PSA, May 27, 2012: 37.4. PSA, June 17, 2012: 51. PSA, Sept 27, 2012: 110.24. PSA, January 28, 155. May, 2013, Well, you get the idea...

Excellent post! I think ALL of us here can relate to that.
    We have ALL been though that initial stage of sheer terror and confusion, some more than others.
    Time heals and the terror will subside.
    Age At Diagnosis: 59
    Pre-Op PSA: 4.5
    Diagnosis: Prostatic Adenocarcinoma
    Surgery: Retropubic Radical Prostatectomy (RRP) 07/16/2012
    Stage: pT2c,pNO,PMX
    Gleason Grade: 4+3=7 (Not-So-Good Cancer)
    Extraprostatic Extension: Neg.
    Lymph Nodes: Neg.
    Seminal Vesicles: Neg.
    Positive Margins
    Tumor Quantitation: <5% Of Prostate
    Tumor size: 1.1cm.
    High-Grade PIN
    Perineural Invasion: Present
    Post-Op PSA: 0.4
    Completed 35 sessions adjuvant IMRT on 12/13/2012
    PSA as of 01/10/2013: 0.2
    PSA as of 04/12/2013: 0.1
    PSA as of 07/10/2013: <0.1
    PSA as of 10/08/2013: 0.1
    PSA as of 01/15/2014: 0.2
    PSA as of 05/23/2014: 0.2

願你的生活充滿了幸福和吉祥。

Senior User
    Featherboy, don't get me wrong, i feel right now like if i was diagnosed, i wouldn't be happy, but i can handle it. But i also realize that i don't think one really can know how they will react, until they are in the situation. Most of you guys have gone thru that moment already, i have not, and thats not lost on me.
    @NotPretty - Just to clarify, i know its easier said than done to live in the moment, and not worry until you are diagnosed. Its natural to worry. But just try to keep it in perspective. I feel for you, cause i know how you feel, same way i felt when the issue first arose. So just know, you are not alone.
    Age 62 (in 2013), Father had PCa
    PSA Feb 2006 - .7
    PSA Feb 2009 - 1.1
    PSA Mar 2012 - 1.6
    PSA OCT 2012 - 2.2, two weeks later 2.7 (after DRE & diff lab)
    Nov 2012 - Biopsy - 14 cores all negative for PCa, 1 showed Hi Grade PIN
    PSA April 2013 - 2.8, FPSA 11, PCa3 - 13

"I feel for you, cause i know how you feel, same way i felt when the issue first arose. So just know, you are not alone".

I think that's what I was trying to say.
    Age At Diagnosis: 59
    Pre-Op PSA: 4.5
    Diagnosis: Prostatic Adenocarcinoma
    Surgery: Retropubic Radical Prostatectomy (RRP) 07/16/2012
    Stage: pT2c,pNO,PMX
    Gleason Grade: 4+3=7 (Not-So-Good Cancer)
    Extraprostatic Extension: Neg.
    Lymph Nodes: Neg.
    Seminal Vesicles: Neg.
    Positive Margins
    Tumor Quantitation: <5% Of Prostate
    Tumor size: 1.1cm.
    High-Grade PIN
    Perineural Invasion: Present
    Post-Op PSA: 0.4
    Completed 35 sessions adjuvant IMRT on 12/13/2012
    PSA as of 01/10/2013: 0.2
    PSA as of 04/12/2013: 0.1