A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I was told yesterday my PSA was 17.8...

Regular User

I was told yesterday my PSA was 17.8...

Yes, I was told yesterday my PSA was 18.7. (Sorry, title saying 17.8 is wrong...transposed). My last test was 12 months ago and it was normal 2.1. I'm 46. But, I've been on testosterone replacement therapy for 3.5 years. But, I just got over urinary tract infection prior to the 18.7 test being done. The infection was gone by the testing day, but the test was just after it cleared. 18.7 My concern is the testosterone replacement therapy triggerred growth of something.

Last 6-8 months I've been very tired and sleeping heavily. It was so bad that I stopped taking testosterone entirely 6 weeks ago. I have felt better since stopping. I've been off testosterone for 6 weeks and know not to take it again.

I see my GP doctor today. She wants me to retest PSA in two weeks and only then will she refer me to a urologist. Given everthing, what should I expect frim my GP at todays visit. Staying calm...know false positives are common, but also can not stop thinking about it....
    Last edited by Notpretty; 05-18-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Welcome.
    If I understand you have had a course of antibiotic and are not currently taking testosterone.
    PSA can rise from inflammation, infection and prostate cancer.
    You might consider other blood tests such as Free PSA (higher is better.) or PCA3.
    Also the Digital Rectal Exam may find nodules on prostate, if there are any.
    Another option to consider later is a biopsy where spring loaded needles are shot into the prostate through the rectum. (It stung a bit in my case.Outpatient test.)
    It is unlikely that headache is related.
    An important factor is your age. What is it?
    Anyway good luck on any further testing.
    DOB Sept. 1947. Prostate cancer Gleason 7 (3+4), PSA 5 in Oct 2010. Cryoablation Jan. 2011. Had some complications.
    Experienced nocturia, irritable bladder summer 2011. "Agent Orange"compensation from VA Oct 2011.
    PSA: .05 01/26/2012, .06 6/26/2012, .04 12/24/2012, .04 6/26/13, .05 1/27/14, .05 10/21/14
    I am eating vegan mostly plus a little fish. Take some supplements.
    (Any advice given is the personal opinion of a layman and is not intended to replace the advice of a health professional.)

Regular User
    Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated!

I'm 46 years old.

To clarify, I was on TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) for the last 3.5 years, but I was feeling so crappy with headaches, fatigue, emotional mood issues, depression and more, that I quit taking vertually all my prescription meds 6 weeks ago...including testosterone.

I got sick with a bad cold 3 weeks after stopping all my meds and went to the Doctor. She thought I had a urinary tract infection. And, I did after labs confirmed it. She put me on cipro for ten days and said lets test you after that to make sure the infection had cleared. She also tested me for PSA and a few other things as a matter of routine. When the results came in yesterday my PSA was 18.7.

I am back from the doctor now and she wants to retest me in two weaks. She did not do a rectal exam. Should she have? She said if my scores in 2 weeks remain high she would refer me to a urologist for more tests. I've never had a rectal exam. I think its low on most Doctor's list of things to do...understandably. She thinks the high PSA score is a result of the UTI and in two weeks we should see a drop in the score. Is this sound Doctor advice? Should she have done more or someting else?
    Last edited by Notpretty; 05-18-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Moderator Top User HighlanderCFH's Avatar
    It sounds like the above reasons could account for the rise in PSA. Can you tell us how old you are?

I'd wait for those 2 weeks and take another PSA test. In the 72 hours prior to the test, do NOT: have any sex, ride a bike, allow a doctor to perform a DRE, etc. Anything that stresses the prostate can trigger a temporary spike in the PSA.

One last thought would be that, if you are over 40, you probably should have a regular (and highly experienced) urologist to begin tracking your PSA on an annual basis. This would be a wise thing to do because, with your father having had PC, your chances of having it in the future (or perhaps now) are TWICE as good as normal. If any other direct relatives have had PC, then your chances are even greater.

So it would be good to get on top of this and stay on top of it. Then, if PC should come along you'll be prepared to deal with it early and then be okay.

Good luck!
    Chuck
    July 2011 local PSA lab reading 6.41 (from 4.1 in 2009). Mayo Clinic PSA 9/ 2011 = 5.7.
    Local uro DRE revealed significant BPH, no lumps.
    PCa Dx Aug. 2011 age of 61.
    Biopsy DXd adenocarcinoma in 3/20 cores (one 5%, two 20%). T2C.
    Gleason 3+3=6. CT abdomen, bone scan negative.
    DaVinci prostatectomy 11/1/11 at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN), nerve sparing, age 62.
    Surgeon was Dr. Matthew Tollefson, who I highly recommend.
    Final pathology shows tumor confined to prostate.
    5 lymph nodes, seminal vesicules, extraprostatic soft tissue all negative.
    1.0 x 0.6 x 0.6 cm mass involving right posterior inferior, right posterior apex & left
    mid posterior prostate. Right posterior apex margin involved by tumor over 0.2 cm length,
    doctor says this is insignificant.
    Prostate 98 grams, tumor 2 grams.
    Catheter out in 7 days. No incontinence, minor dripping for a few weeks.
    Post-op exams 2/13/12, 9/10/12, 9/9/13, 9/29/14 PSA <0.1
    Semi-firm erections now more frequent 3+ years post-op.

If your PSA continues to test high, then you will end up getting a Digital Rectal Exam when you see a urologist.
    Most primary doctors are willing to do them.
    DOB Sept. 1947. Prostate cancer Gleason 7 (3+4), PSA 5 in Oct 2010. Cryoablation Jan. 2011. Had some complications.
    Experienced nocturia, irritable bladder summer 2011. "Agent Orange"compensation from VA Oct 2011.
    PSA: .05 01/26/2012, .06 6/26/2012, .04 12/24/2012, .04 6/26/13, .05 1/27/14, .05 10/21/14
    (Any advice given is the personal opinion of a layman and is not intended to replace the advice of a health professional.)

Regular User
    Hi again. My age is 46, male.
    Last edited by Notpretty; 05-18-2013 at 06:02 PM.

Regular User
    My second test results are in!,

I went from 18.7 to 14.9 What does that mean if anything?

I'm being referred to a Urologist and will have a phone consultation in no less than 3 days. What should I expect of Kaiser Permanente? I Assume a digital rectal exam...probably more testing? Should I demand/expect a biopsy now?

Doc says good news is its lower...but still high. Could it drop to normal in 2 weeks I asked. She says not likely. Is that true? Hiw much can score swing in short periods of time?

I'm keeping it cool around wife and daughter (10 years) but frankly I'm scared as can be.

Any feedback would be appreciated....Good or Bad. I am the type to want the truth in clear and ungarbled terms.
    Last edited by Notpretty; 05-18-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Top User
    Urologists get paid to determine WHY your PSA has jumped from 2.1 to 15 in the space of a year..Coupled with the abnormal DRE, you can expect a prostate biopsy in your near future..Not something to look forward to, but it's over in 15 minutes....Until then, it's all guesswork...

TV is saturated with ads touting testosterone gels and creams..These ads spend the majority of their airtime detailing the negative aspects and side-effects of using them. The negative side of HRT seems to far outweigh the positive side.....
    PSA at age 55: 3.5, DRE negative.
    65: 8.5, DRE " normal", biopsy, 12 core, negative...
    66 9.0 DRE "normal", BPH, (Proscar)
    67 4.5 DRE "normal" second biopsy, negative.
    67.5 5.6, DRE "normal" U-doc worried..
    age 68, 7.0, third biopsy (June 2010) positive for cancer in 4 cores, 2 cores Gleason 6, one core Gleason 7. one core Gleason 9. RALP on Sept. 3, 2010, Positive margin, post-op PSA. 0.9, SRT , HT. Feb.2011 PSA <0.1 Oct 2011 <0.1 Feb 2012 <0.01 Sept 2012 0.8 June 2013 1.1, Casodex added, PSA 0.04 10/2013. PSA 0.32 1/14. On 6/14 PSA 0.4, "T"-5. 10/14 PSA 0.6, T-11. 1/2015 PSA 0.106

Regular User
    I was 2.1 a year ago. Can a PSA score go up to 18.7 in one year... and not be cancer? Hoping for false pos.

And, is the drop in two weeks from 18.7 to 14.9 a good sign? Doc says I may have just an inflamed prostate hanging on from the urinary tract infection and that it may take months to cone back to normal. That doesn't make sense to me. Feel like smoke is beingblown up my prostate?

Last I struggle with bad constipation due to narcotics ihave to take making stools large, very hard and lumpy. This could affect the prostate like a DRE...cause false positive? Yes/No?

Please give feedback....PLEASE.....

Never had a DRE
    Never seen a urologist...yet. Will soon.
    Freaking out...reading and not seening anyone with scores as high as mine. Am I a dead man?
    Last edited by Notpretty; 05-18-2013 at 06:24 PM.

Hey again.
    I would try to take it one day at a time.
    And you don't know if you have it. There are many gradations of prostate cancer, most of which are slow growing.
    I can't speak for Kaiser but urologists schedule biopsies as outpatient procedures and they are somewhat unpleasant. So you would not get a biopsy at the first urologist appointment. Nothing is likely to happen real fast to you.
    IF you did have prostate cancer, you are very likely to live for many years.