A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: colon cancer?

Newbie New User

Talking colon cancer?

first, I wanted to say I have a G.I. doctor appointment on Tuesday. I have a few questions about my symptoms and figured everyone here probably has some experience with colon cancer.

About two weeks ago, I noticed a little blood in the stool. It wasn't actually on or in the bowel movement it looked like a clot or a scab that was floating around. Shortly after that, I noticed that my clothes were not fitting right. I stated to monitor my weight and lost about 15 pounds. That's not including what I lost before I started to monitor it. Since then I have becawhiteme anxious and lost my appetite. I read on the internetat if you are to the stage that you are whi losing weight, it is probably advanced cancer and untreatable. I haven't had any symptoms prior to this. Only had blood in the stool once. If I had advanced cancer , would there more blood? I had regular blood work done at primary doctor and everything came back normal. Red and white blood cells both within normal range. I have been tired allot lately. I have had inconsistent stool as long as I can remember. I am 30 years old and have two babies, which is why I'm so scared. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Can too have a weight loss symptom and not be terminal? Can it be something other than cancer?? Would my blood work show something if it was that bad? Any help is welcomed.

Super Moderator Top User
    Starman,
    Sorry your having these worris and problems and welcome to the forum.
    We have a lot of posts asking IF or do I have Colon Cancer And giving the symptoms.
    Honestly we simply don't know if you have or haven't, apologies for being so blunt, but only a fraction of those that come here are actually diagnosed with CRC.
    There are other digestive system problems that give the same symptoms, IBS, Diverticulisis to name but 2.
    Blood tests may show an increased CEA marker, again my blood tests never showed anything but normal.
    I think you are jumping to the worst conclusion you possibly can, why necause you researched the Internet and whatever you put in as your search criteria related to bowel problems will without a doubt lead you to beleive you have colon cancer. Google is a great search engine, but it is not a doctor and CANNOT DIAGNOSE you. It will frighten you possibly for little reason.
    Please Do not think your sympoms are in any way terminal, even of it is CRC which is unlikely, there has been a quantum leap in treatment regimes in the last decade.
    You are doing the right thing seeing a doctor as he or she after tests is the only person that give you a diagnosis.
    I lost weight before I was diagnosed, yet after surgery I was back to normal quickly.
    Take a deep breath, don't think the worst as the more you worry the more your weight will drop as anxiety increases your metabolc rate and you process food faster and this increases weight loss.
    Get your appointment over on Tuesday, have whatever tests your GI recommends and If in the unlikely event it is Colon Cancer we have a very active Colon and Rectal cancer forum and we will give you whatver support you need.
    In the meanwhile try and stay as calm as you can.
    Best wishes and not being rude we hope the only message you post is that you DO NOT HAVE CANCER.
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    13 Aug Pain Management dept
    18 Aug ENT.
    Wait, watch and learn (Not too much I hope)
    Stop grumbling Baz, your alive and kicking and too much to do in my life.
    Motto
    Do what I enjoy doing, when I want until I can't.

Super Moderator Top User sheila's Avatar
    mstarman- welcome hoping the results from the GI doctor leaves you nothing to worry about. alot of things could cause what you described so I wouldnt go there at this point.
    about the weight loss? well first you seemed to have lost weight intentionally bloating can make your pants tighter. but if you are worrying it could be stress causeing the extra weight loss when Im personally stressed I dont want to eat much and without realizing it I lose weight. so try and relax untill you get the diagnosis back from the GI. keep us posted
    Last edited by sheila; 05-27-2013 at 02:54 AM.
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Newbie New User
    Thanks for the responses. Barry, you are right google is the devil. I think it would be a wealth of knowledge post diagnosis. I am trying to look at the positives, but the negatives eat me up. My symptoms also mimic ibs, celiac, diverticulitis and chrons. The fact that I lost that much weight so fast just alarms me. Barry , how much weight did you lose and what were your other symptoms?

Super Moderator Top User
    Prior to diagnosis, I had lost 14 lbs, now for me that's a lot as Im normally about 170 (ish) after surgery when I got Ileus ( the bowels stopped working ) for 14 days, I dropped to 126 lbs before on day 13 they started me on TPN. It took me a whole year to get back up to my norm and that was with the help of Fresubin supplementary food drinks. Now after my second surgery I'm up to 178 lbs.
    Secondary symptoms, were nagging discomfort under left rib cage, loose stools, yet surprisingly no fatigue, no raised CEA. The key indicator was the bowel screen test which showed traces of occult blood in stools. I never had free blood (bleeding or any that was visual).
    In fact late January, 2 months prior to diagnosis I was skiing in France for 16 days and I mean skiing hard and never felt fatigued at all.
    Mind you I have always been fit, playing a lot of sport and this is one reason my surgeon said was a huge bonus.
    Google is a great resource when one has a specific diagnosis, then it allows for specific research, otherwise it's a definate NO NO.
    Don't and I mean don't always look on the black side, yes it's a natural reaction, but that will only reduce your weight faster.
    Get the appointment over with and take it one step at a time.
    And dont forget to ask questions, what you don't understand, ask them to explain in plain English, as medical speak (terminology) can be confusing.
    Keep us posted
    Best wishes
    Barry
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    18 Aug ENT.
    Motto

Newbie New User
    Just an update, had my appointment today. Doctor didn't seemed the least bit concerned. I asked for a colonoscopy to make sure. I have that tomorrow afternoon.I must say this prep is pretty simple but uncomfortable. Been getting stomach craps

Mstarman: Good for you to get the colonoscopy so you can be sure. And, aside from the prep, which is a bit of a hassle, the procedure itself is no big deal. I have had several over the last dozen years. For peace of mind, it is surely worth it. Be sure to let us know how it comes out! Best of luck,

David
    62 yrs old
    March 6, 2012: Diagnosed Anaplastic Large (T-) Cell Lymphoma, Stage 1
    3 rounds of CHOP unsuccessful.
    Beginning mid-June, 2012, received 6 cycles of Brentuximab at Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah. Pet scans after 4th and 6th cycles showed no evidence of lymphoma.
    Autologous bone marrow transplant in November of 2012.
    17 radiation treatments for "consolidation" purposes between Dec. 26 and Jan.17.
    100 day post BMT check-up (2/26/13): NED. Pet scan on 7/10/13: Still NED.
    One year post transplant check-up: Still fine; NED.
    18month post-translant scans, etc. No evidence of lymphoma, but funky spot between cervical vertebrae c-2 and c-3, which, after 2 MRI's, seem to be degenerative disc disease, not cancer.

Newbie New User
    Good news, all clear just some hemorrhoids. Weight is already coming back, just anxiety I'm guessing. Thanks for the help!!

Super Moderator Top User sheila's Avatar
    mstarman- great news! yay youenjoy the summer
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Super Moderator Top User
    mstarman,
    Im sure I can speak for all of us Great news.
    Enjoy life and have a good summer.
    Live a long happy and healthy life.
    Barry
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    18 Aug ENT.
    Motto

+ Reply to Thread