A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feeling of lump in throat

Newbie New User

Feeling of lump in throat

First let me say I went to my pcp and am scheduled for an esophagram day after tomorrow.
    I am a 38 year old female and about 4 weeks ago I started feeling like there was a lump inside my throat. It's about 2 fingers above that dip where your neck meets your chest, I think right below where an Adam's apple would be, in the thyroid region. Nothing is palpable but swallowing has become awful - not painful, but incredibly uncomfortable. I don't think it is necessarily interfering with my ability to swallow but since there is a constant feeling like something is there, I find myself swallowing repeatedly. Originally I though maybe post nasal drip, then I thought reflux but the strangest part is that when lying flat on my back I can barely feel it. When I lay on my side or am standing up it comes right back. That kinda goes against reflux and nasal drip which both are usually worse when lying down.

I am now stressing about thyroid or throat cancer and was wondering if this was a common symptom. What would cause it to feel better when lying down? I'm assuming (without much anatomical knowledge of the neck region) that when laying down, the esophagus and trachea shift back and there's more room so whatever the lump is on is not pressing against the other structures. Does that sound possible or likely??

Super Moderator Top User Hope2012's Avatar
    I think the key here is that you are having tests done the day after tomorrow. Based on what you have described, it's impossible for anyone to offer any kind of cancer related likelihood. I know the stressing can be all consuming, but just try to hang in there for a couple of days, stay away from Dr Google...and I'm hoping you can relay good news back to us!
    This dark night shall end and the sun will rise again...
    Believe

- Dad diagnosed in 1992 with primary bladder cancer
    - bladder removed and new one made from resected intestine
    - chemotherapy regimen started
    - mets to large intestines discovered in 1993...more chemo...tumors disappearing
    - complained of neck pain Dec 1994. Mets to brainstem confirmed
    - passed away Feb 24, 1995

Hope is right. Stop googling and wait for your doc to do the tests.
    I have a lump in my throat. It feels like a lump of snot that you just want to try and swallow down so it will go away. That doesn't happen and you get used to it. I had all the tests done and it is a benign adenoma..a lump on the Thyroid. It is benign and extremely common. I hope yours turns out to be as well.
    Good luck and best wishes.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Newbie New User

Lump In Throat

Quote Originally Posted by Imjustme75 View Post
    First let me say I went to my pcp and am scheduled for an esophagram day after tomorrow.
    I am a 38 year old female and about 4 weeks ago I started feeling like there was a lump inside my throat. It's about 2 fingers above that dip where your neck meets your chest, I think right below where an Adam's apple would be, in the thyroid region. Nothing is palpable but swallowing has become awful - not painful, but incredibly uncomfortable. I don't think it is necessarily interfering with my ability to swallow but since there is a constant feeling like something is there, I find myself swallowing repeatedly. Originally I though maybe post nasal drip, then I thought reflux but the strangest part is that when lying flat on my back I can barely feel it. When I lay on my side or am standing up it comes right back. That kinda goes against reflux and nasal drip which both are usually worse when lying down.

I am now stressing about thyroid or throat cancer and was wondering if this was a common symptom. What would cause it to feel better when lying down? I'm assuming (without much anatomical knowledge of the neck region) that when laying down, the esophagus and trachea shift back and there's more room so whatever the lump is on is not pressing against the other structures. Does that sound possible or likely??

I Too Have Been Getting A Feeling Of A Lump In MY Throat But I Do Not Have Trouble Swallowing Or Breathing And It Also Goes Away When I Lay Down, I Will Be Scheduling An Appointment With My Ear, Noes & Throat Doctor Tomorrow And She Will Most Likely Scope Me Witch I'm Not Looking Forward To, Hopefully It's Over Real Quick, The Thought Of Getting A Long Rotor Rooter Like Thing Shoved Up My Nose And Down My Throat Kind Of Freaks Me Out, I Do Have Acid That Washes Into The Back Of My Throat Sometimes But I've Been Trying To Change My Diet So That Stops Happening.

I have had the tube up nose and down throat and it is no big deal. They spray the back of your throat, you wait a while and a soft flexible tube is passed down. You feel nothing. Good luck and I hope all turns out well.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Regular User
    I have a lump in my throat as well, I got used to it now, my test results were nothing to worry about, just the feeling of it stuck in my throat, I hope your test result is just a common lump. Good luck and best wishes and please let us know how it goes.

Super Moderator Top User
    Keep in mind that feeling as though one has a lump in the throat is one of the medically recognised symptoms of anxiety or acid reflux (Gerd) etc.
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    13 Aug Pain Management dept
    18 Aug ENT.
    Wait, watch and learn (Not too much I hope)
    Stop grumbling Baz, your alive and kicking and too much to do in my life.
    Motto
    Do what I enjoy doing, when I want until I can't.

+ Reply to Thread