A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 12 treatments of radiation and chemo, now having urinary symptoms?? Anyone else?

Newbie New User

12 treatments of radiation and chemo, now having urinary symptoms?? Anyone else?

Hi all
    My dad is now in week three of radiation. He is taking 1800mg of Xeloda and having radiation five days a week. He has had problems in the past with kidney stones, and two stones (large) were found in his bladder on a CT scan for cancer diagnosis. Over the last week he has had bleeing (clots and more blood than urine) when trying to urinate along with excrutiating pain and incontinence. Now we are dealing with almost full loss of control at both ends. And the pain, it is so severe he screams 75% of the day. The urologist says its a side effect of the radiation and the radiation oncologist says it's related the stones.. Feeling frustrated! Has anyone else experienced urinary symptoms from radiation treatments?? Any experience would help.
    Thank you!!

Senior User
    From my treatments it was difficult to get started urinating, and then felt like liquid Napalm coming out. I always threatened to go out in the yard at night and pee glowing directional arrows for the planes flying overhead.

I have had Kidney stones and most of the symptoms sounds like me when I was trying to pass them. The incontinence and pain is from stone trying to pass through a valve. Only time in my life I was ever vulger, nasty, hateful to a nurse was that night in the ER. I passed the stone about 4 days later.

I would advice to take him to the ER and they can find the location and determine the size of the stones. Plus they have this wonderful cocktail that will let him forget all about it. (Plus everything else for a few hours)

My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Age 47 Male
    5/18/12 - Family Dr ordered emergancy CT and colonsopy
    5/23/12 - Diagnosed with Stage 4 Rectal Cancer w/mets in Liver
    6/28/12 - Combined lower bowel resection and liver resection.
    9/7/12 - Last day of Chemo. Folfox
    1/25/13 - Last day of Second Round of Chemo Folfox
    4/25/13 - Ostamy Reversal
    9/9/13 - Clear Scan-High CEA
    9/16/13 - Pet Scan shows 4 new spots in Liver
    10/3/13 - Second Liver Resection removes tumor #6,7,8,9.
    11/1/13 - Started FolFiri
    2/7/14 - Pet scan shows several areas of concern. Now we wait and see.
    5/13/14 - Pet scan shows 3 large tumors in the Liver. Time to see Surgeon again.
    6/12/14 - Third Liver Resection removes Tumor #10,11,12.
    7/16/14 - Started Xeloda and Avastin

Regular User
    Hmmm
    Husband just finished the radation/xeloda, and I had KidneyStoneFromHell two years ago.
    (Too big to pass, so catheters and surgery --eep--)
    Tom has some burning when urinating, but compared to his poor anus it is hardly noticable.
    I think for this there is some effect from how they are aiming the radiation, which is highly individual since it is pointed at where they know there is cancer.
    Kidney stone though: yes, pain! yes bleeding - though mine was never visible and only turned up in lab tests; yes incontinence and lack of control.
    And the kidney pain is really, really, really bad.
    I did natural childbirth, and would call that uncomfortable by comparison.
    At the very least, can't they just take a quick look, to see if there are stones in the kidney?
    If nothing else, it would clear up the question.
    And if it is not stones, try to get more pain relief for him.
    Though that is an issue here too - enough to actually blot out the pain is a scary lot, so we have screaming here too.
    It's very, very hard.

Please forgive me in advance if what I am saying is stupid as I have no experience with this cancer but if stones are suspected, can't they be verified by laparoscopy and zapped with laser to blast them into passable pieces or does having this cancer as well take it to a too dangerous to do level?
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Senior User
    Quote Originally Posted by Didee View Post
    Please forgive me in advance if what I am saying is stupid as I have no experience with this cancer but if stones are suspected, can't they be verified by laparoscopy and zapped with laser to blast them into passable pieces or does having this cancer as well take it to a too dangerous to do level?
    Didee, I am not an expert on Kidney stones but have had them and will try to explain. Others feel free to jump in.

Kidney stones are not part of the cancer. Kidney stones form from minerals, acids, etc in the Kidneys and then break loose and travel through the Kidneys to the bladder and then out the tract. At each stage of the process is a valve that is designed to pass liquids, that is now being asked to pass a solid object. The "stone" will get stuck in the valve causing bleeding, excrutiating pain and incontinence. The "stone" will stay stuck in the valve until enough urine builds up behind it to push it through. Unfortunately, the usual outcome is that the pressure does not build up fast enough to hold it in place and it slips back into the kidney or bladder to float around until it trys to escape again.

The normal treatment is a lot of painkillers and let nature take its course. The ER will normally give you a shot of pain killers, x-ray to find the stones. While you are sleeping off the wonderful cocktail of pain killers, they will continue to x-ray making sure it is not lodged somewhere it is not supposed to be. Once they determine that it is moving down the correct path, you get another wonderful shot, sent home with a bottle of pain meds and a funny looking strainer to urinate through to catch said stone when it exits. Usually 3-4 days latter. Normally there is never just one, the usual number is 2-4.

If it is determine that the stone is too large to be passed. Normally a week or so later, they will use ultrasound to break it up into smaller pieces so it can be passed.

Commonly referred to as God's revenge on middle aged men, since women go through labor.
    Age 47 Male
    5/18/12 - Family Dr ordered emergancy CT and colonsopy
    5/23/12 - Diagnosed with Stage 4 Rectal Cancer w/mets in Liver
    6/28/12 - Combined lower bowel resection and liver resection.
    9/7/12 - Last day of Chemo. Folfox
    1/25/13 - Last day of Second Round of Chemo Folfox
    4/25/13 - Ostamy Reversal
    9/9/13 - Clear Scan-High CEA
    9/16/13 - Pet Scan shows 4 new spots in Liver
    10/3/13 - Second Liver Resection removes tumor #6,7,8,9.
    11/1/13 - Started FolFiri
    2/7/14 - Pet scan shows several areas of concern. Now we wait and see.
    5/13/14 - Pet scan shows 3 large tumors in the Liver. Time to see Surgeon again.
    6/12/14 - Third Liver Resection removes Tumor #10,11,12.
    7/16/14 - Started Xeloda and Avastin

Griffendorn:

This just sounds horrid. I have nothing useful to offer. I am just sending up as many prayers, etc. for your dad, in hopes that whatever the hell is causing this, he gets past it pronto. What he is going thru is way way worse than I experienced during the worst days of my cancer treatment, including my stem cell transplant. I am just so sorry. Lots of hugs....

David
    62 yrs old
    March 6, 2012: Diagnosed Anaplastic Large (T-) Cell Lymphoma, Stage 1
    3 rounds of CHOP unsuccessful.
    Beginning mid-June, 2012, received 6 cycles of Brentuximab at Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah. Pet scans after 4th and 6th cycles showed no evidence of lymphoma.
    Autologous bone marrow transplant in November of 2012.
    17 radiation treatments for "consolidation" purposes between Dec. 26 and Jan.17.
    100 day post BMT check-up (2/26/13): NED. Pet scan on 7/10/13: Still NED.
    One year post transplant check-up: Still fine; NED.
    18month post-translant scans, etc. No evidence of lymphoma, but funky spot between cervical vertebrae c-2 and c-3, which, after 2 MRI's, seem to be degenerative disc disease, not cancer.

Super Moderator Top User sheila's Avatar
    griffin- late comming in when the radiation is done in the pelvic area- it effects the urine and it does burn alot mom had a really hard time with the pain to the point of holding ice against her when she had to urinate. yes its painfull Id say combination of the two problems in your dads situation. she just had to get through it the creams barely subsided it
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

I am currently going through Radiation Treatments for Prostate Cancer and I have a history of Kidney Stones. I take Urocit for some years now it neutralizes the things in my system that would continue to produce Kidney Stones. This was prescribed to me after a weekend of collecting samples of my urine. I have taken it for years now and it has made a huge difference. Occasionally I have a small stone I pass NOTHING LIKE THE ONES that required a hospital procedure to remove as in the past.

I had a small one pass soon after starting my radiation treatments. MANY TIMES WHEN A STONE PASSES THROUGH YOUR TRACK IT CAN CAUSE TEARS IN THE TRACK AND the tears can lead to infections. I learned this also from experience and sure enough this happened soon after passing this latest one. I called my Oncologist and told him how this happened to me in the past and I was convinced this was happening again because of the burning after and during urination.

He gave me an Antibiotic and in a few days the inflection was gone. Just know if a person passes stones and has some blood in their urine they may develop a Urinary Track Infection. They are easy treated, and they don't go away on their own.

The radiation has caused urinating slow usually soon after the treatment and the steam increases during the course of the day. My Radiation Oncologist makes it very clear he wants us to drink as much water as possible before our treatment. It has been found there is LESS trouble with the bladder, possible damage or possible side effects if your bladder is full during the radiation treatments.

Here is a link to the Urocit for Kidney Stones it may not be for everyone only your Urologist will know that after testing. However it improved my life GREATLY. I had three terrible experiences, after taking this daily for years I have a very mirror experience as often years between them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urocit-K
    Sincerely yours,
    Friendly

2 Corinthians 1:4

He comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any kind of affliction, through the comfort we ourselves receive from God..

Super Moderator Top User
    I'm not demeaning what has been said about kidney stones as having them is a horrific experience, much worse than anything I felt after my surgeries.
    If the stone is too large it cannot pass through the urinary tract.
    I've had stones mainly left kidney several times. 1998 there was no option but to have laproscopic surgery to remove it.
    They got inside then broke it up using high frequency ultrasonics then apparently spent an hour or so, picking out the bits.
    Whilst in Japan I got another one.
    What they do there is sit you in a hot bath and apply ultrasonics to break it /them up to grains where they can pass through the urethra.
    I can't comment on the chemo side of things, but what shocked me is two medical professionals passing the buck.
    That to me is appalling.

Hope things resolve quickly, but any more episodes I wouldn't be posting on here, I'd have him in hospital toute suite.
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    13 Aug Pain Management dept
    18 Aug ENT.
    Wait, watch and learn (Not too much I hope)
    Stop grumbling Baz, your alive and kicking and too much to do in my life.
    Motto
    Do what I enjoy doing, when I want until I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz10 View Post
    I can't comment on the chemo side of things, but what shocked me is two medical professionals passing the buck.
    That to me is appalling.

Hope things resolve quickly, but any more episodes I wouldn't be posting on here, I'd have him in hospital toute suite.
    Barry
    Hear, hear!

We don't have radiation or kidney stones at our house, so my experience with both is of the "my cousin Sid" or "a friend of a friend" variety. In addition to what other posters shared re: kidney stones, it's my understanding that certain types of radiation treatment aimed at the lower abdominal region/lower back result in God-awful bladder pain and excruciatingly painful elimination.

My heart breaks for griffendorn & father; IMHO, both physicians involved should be caned, then instructed to swim 100 yards in a saltwater pool for being so easily dismissive of this gentleman's pain.

I see the date of the OP was about 3 months ago. I hope the family involved another medical professional, the father's pain was better managed, and his kidney stones & their own potential side effects were addressed.

MM
    Caregiver to my significant other.
    May 2008: transrectal procedure for Stage I CRC. Age 59
    April 2013: Finally "sick enough" to go to the Dr. CAT scan.
    May 2013: PET scan, surgical biopsy. DX'd terminal, inoperable, recurrent, metastatic, hypermetabolic StageIV CRC w/mets to liver & lymph node in neck
    June 2013: Port placement. Oxaliplatin, Erbitux, Xeloda
    August 2013: PET scan; NED
    September 2013: surgical repair of inguinal hernia
    November 2013: PET scan; NED
    January 2014: Changed out oxi for Irinotecan; continue Erbitux, Xeloda
    March 2014: PET scan; NED

+ Reply to Thread