A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: People Who Fake having Pancreatic Cancer

People Who Fake having Pancreatic Cancer

Hi Folks,

In the last little while we have a couple of threads about people who have been the victim of this terrible hoax. I had some spare time today and looked googled 'People who fake cancer'. It was a really interesting read. Some do it for money - but others do it for attention.

Luckily people who are doing it for the money are starting to get charged.

How would you feel it this hoax was played on you?

Queensville
    Last edited by Queensville; 06-17-2013 at 02:22 AM.
    July 22 2011 Hubby (64) Diagnosed PanCan. Sept2011- Feb 2012: Abraxane/Gemcitabine. Feb-May 2012:Gemcitabine only. June-Sept 2012 5FU. Sept 4-no more chemo - Just living life. Multiple stents. Jan 2013/18 month mark. Mets everywhere. Looking for a bumper sticker that says 'Stay at safe distance - Driver suffering caregiver burnout'. Hospice Thurs Feb 28 2013. March 12 2013 he went off to his new adventure where we will one day meet again. It was 20 months from date of diagnosis until now.

Super Moderator Top User Hope2012's Avatar
    Whether for money or for attention I believe that they also have serious self image and self esteem issues that are deeply rooted. It's not an excuse, but for some people, any attention....even negative attention is better than no attention at all. This is the logical and empathetic side of me talking here.

On the other hand...having seen first hand what this horrible disease does to people and their families, I would be absolutely furious with someone faking it no matter what their motives. They are completely scum of the earth and deserve nothing more than the inside if a jail cell.
    This dark night shall end and the sun will rise again...
    Believe

- Dad diagnosed in 1992 with primary bladder cancer
    - bladder removed and new one made from resected intestine
    - chemotherapy regimen started
    - mets to large intestines discovered in 1993...more chemo...tumors disappearing
    - complained of neck pain Dec 1994. Mets to brainstem confirmed
    - passed away Feb 24, 1995

Let them go through the same regime as someone with the real stuff, chemo, radiation, all side effects doctors appts, give them automatically stage 4 and mets to another organ and everything else except the support that they would need from a caregiver or family member. Let them suffer, it sounds mean, but hey it sounds good.

Peter
    wife angela diagnosed with Ampullary cancer. Sep/12
    with mets to her liver
    started folfirinox on oct/12 with cd scan dec21
    ct scan scheduled in mar/12
    On Gemcitabine for 4 cycles
    Then another ct scan with good results
    Hoping for the best because she is my hero
    A few more spots on her liver and original,ones are larger
    New scan last week and showed improvement: scan showed
    no new tumors and big one got smaller, what a relief, best news
    October 2013 starting chemo again with radiation ( biggest tumour only)
    Doctor last resort chemo after being told exhausted all chemo options, caught us off gaurd
    No radiation, tumor too large, starting chemo again for 8 weeks and then scan
    waiting for scan, but do not want to see results until after the holidays
    results not good and now we have great days with family until time takes over
    never thought we would be here waiting for the end that we hope will never come
    Passed away, April 3, 2014. 18 months from since being diagnosed

There are many interesting articles on it. Here is one.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ympathy-get-ri

It was interesting to see in the article that faking cancer sometimes comes from having a genuine illness then wanting the attention to continue.

Queensville
    Last edited by Queensville; 06-15-2013 at 01:25 AM.
    July 22 2011 Hubby (64) Diagnosed PanCan. Sept2011- Feb 2012: Abraxane/Gemcitabine. Feb-May 2012:Gemcitabine only. June-Sept 2012 5FU. Sept 4-no more chemo - Just living life. Multiple stents. Jan 2013/18 month mark. Mets everywhere. Looking for a bumper sticker that says 'Stay at safe distance - Driver suffering caregiver burnout'. Hospice Thurs Feb 28 2013. March 12 2013 he went off to his new adventure where we will one day meet again. It was 20 months from date of diagnosis until now.

They are the scum of the earth IMO.
    We do get most of them in the blood cancer forums as it seems "easier" to fake. Mostly young women with new boyfriends who want to help them as much as they can. Red flags go up with such posts usually and sometimes in very little time.
    They usually trip themselves up in the detail as they will in time with most cancers.
    So very hard when someone gets taken in and their heart and/or wallet are broken.
    There has to be a problem with those who do this but then again you also just have the scammers out for all they can get.

Thank you for the link. Have bookmarked it.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Super Moderator Top User DebbieC's Avatar
    Scum of the Earth...I also have to agree with that one. My mom lost her father to cancer when she was 34, then what it did to my dad, and on Tuesday it took my sweet grandfather. Attention, money, whatever the reason...I would also like to see them have to live in those shoes for a day. Either as a cancer sufferer, or as a loved one, take your pick. As long as they get to see how truly devastating it is to everyone that it touches.
    March 21, 2011 - Dad diagnosed. Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma on head of pancreas.
    April 2011 - Gemcitabine and radiation for a total of 12 weeks.
    October 14, 2011 - Successful Whipple procedure. Cancer free! Best 5 months of my life!!!
    March 2, 2012 - CT scan and discovery of possible mets to both lungs.
    March 23, 2012 - Biopsy confirmed recurrence.
    May 2, 2012 - Folfiri regimen started. Stopped after 2 treatments due to infection.
    June 2, 2012 - Switched to Xeloda
    Sept. 21, 2012 - No more chemo...treatment not working anymore. Now we wait and pray.
    October 6, 2012 - My dad is now at peace in Heaven, watching over us until we meet again.

♥ Forever in my heart! Miss you every day more than words can say! ♥

Here is another interesting one,

http://healthland.time.com/2012/11/3...nesses-online/

Queensville

Senior User
    Very Western Central Idaho Almost to Oregon Border
    I just can not imagine some one wanting to fake something so horrific as cancer. My stomach just churned over thinking about it. In a way these people might be sicker than the people with cancer. Guess you should feel sorry for their needs. Still it makes me sick to think about it. Let all of us think back to the first day of diagnosis weather it was for you ,spouse, mother ,father brother or sister, friend. I am sure neither Joe or I will forget that day. Great link Queensville thanks.
    73 Year old Husband has/had:
    1-23-13 Mass on pancreas. Stent placed. Adenocarcinoma suspected and biopsy diagnosed Jan 31,2013. Stage three due to non operable.
    2-18-13 Port placed.
    2-19-13-First Folfox round. Folfox rounds reduced after third and tenth through 7-26-13.
    8-2-13 CT scan Mass strands have moved away from SMV.
    8-14-13 Whipple surgery preformed. Pathology clean margins no lymph involvement. Hospitalized 24 days. Long slow recovery. Lost 20 pounds.
    11-5-13 Scheduled to see oncologist for follow up chemo and radiation as needed.
    Still too weak after surgery and pneumonia for chemo and radiation
    12-4-13-CT scan and blood work
    12-10-13-CT scan clear NED Blood work Ca 19-9 35 No chemo or radiation at this time.
    2-26-14 Next CT scan and Blood work Still NED Doing great so far.
    5-29-14 Next CT scan
    6-3-14 CT Scan still NED Ca 19-9 31.5

I don't know which is worse, the internet version or the face to face version. Both are so damaging.

Queensville

I've mentioned before that when I was fresh out of college, I started dating a man eight years older than me. Shortly into our relationship he told he had bone cancer. I was incredibly naive and believed him. We dated for a year and a half and while I realized as the relationship progressed that his stories did not add up, I just couldn't even bring myself to think that he would lie to me. My family and my friends (my close friend who is a nurse) all kept telling me that there was no way he could have cancer that his stories weren't adding up and he was healthy. I was a college educated teacher, but I just refused to believe someone I loved so much could possibly lie about something like that. I ended up alienated from my family and my friends, defending my boyfriend to them- he kept saying that my family obviously didn't like him because they didn't believe him.

It took me a long time to come to grips with the fact that he was lying, call him on it and get him to admit that he had lied about the cancer. My dad, now battling pancreatic cancer, had wanted to kick this guy's a** so many times (and my dad is not a big guy nor was he ever prone to angry outbursts or violence- except when he saw what this guy was putting me through). In the end, we broke up, police involved because he was not accepting of my ending the relationship, and my friends and family welcomed me back with open arms. It took me a long time to trust again, matter of fact, I didn't date seriously again for five years after that, when I met my husband.

This man lied to me to control me and to keep me in a relationship with him because what kind of a girl would leave a boyfriend when he's got cancer? Unfortunately it took me a year and a half to finally wise up. It's been many years now and my friends and I can look back and laugh- my dad though, going through what he's going through and even before, has never and will never find it funny- because I'm his daughter and no father wants to see his daughter in a relationship with a controlling liar.
    Kaye
    www.honoringdad.blogspot.com

Dad diagnosed pancreatic cancer October 2011
    chemo/radiation Oct-December 2011
    Whipple- January 2012
    Found out cancer spread- May 2012
    Stopping all treatment because it's not working- December 2012
    Enjoying any time we have left with him.

I have been reading the links and others branching off from and it makes me very pleased that we have a strictly no solicitations policy whether for existing members or people coming here for help with finances. I am sure some are extremely legitimate and are in dire straits, I am sure a lot of even relay for life backing is legitimate but how can we tell the difference?
    Judging by the articles too it is very possible that we have a faker or two here too who has assimilated well. I am by no means going to try and suss members out. We have to take people at face value as this cancer scene is horrendous. Makes you think though, eh?
    We have sussed the odd one out here or there over the years. Not hard to sit behind a computer and pretend especially if you research well and keep meticulous notes. As an article said..you get sussed out, you leave the forum and click on another for anorexia or something else.
    Just for the record I personally have no doubts about those I have come to know so far on the forums.
    Aussie, age 57
    1987 CIN 111. Cervix lasered, no further problems.

Dx Peripheral T Cell Lymphoma stage 2B bulky, aggressive Dec/09.
    6 chop14 and Neulasta.
    Clean PET April/10, 18 rads 36gy mop up. All done May 2010
    Iffy scan Nov. 2011.
    Scan Feb 2012 .still in remission.
    Still NED Nov 2012. On to yearly bloods now.

May/2012. U/sound, thyroid scan, FNB. Benign adenoma. A lump in otherwords, nodule if you wish to be specific.

CancerForums User Policy

http://www.cancerforums.net/threads/...picture-policy

Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Senior User
    I already posted elsewhere what I think of these people so not doing it again but all you genuine people have my full support. Cheers everyone
    Diagnosed March 2012 non operable Pan Can with mets to liver and adrenal glands. Otherwise quite well. Started Gemzar in April did several rounds Then had scan in July showing no good results tumour imploding and mets had advanced. xeloda tablets were started with good results first scan came back with shrinkage every where not a lot but encouraging. Dec scan showed liver mets returned and gained in size Folfox started January 8 2013 Dr proposed 4 rounds then a scan. Completed 4 rounds scan results not so good pancreas tumour stable and 2 spots on liver also ok but small increase in size of 3 liver spot and more spots forming biloma a formed in liver. doctors describe me as asymptomatic. Currently on chemo break until further notice.

Demented minds! Very sad. I'm always reminded of the comedian in the 60's and 70's who made fun of disabled people by going on national TV acting like a retard or some sort of paraplegic. He and his wife gave birth to one.
    07/2011 - Annie age 57 dx w/inoperable stage 4 pc; 5cm tumor/body, two spots on liver 1cm each, CA19-9=21,000+
    08/2011 - folfirinox
    01/2012 - CT: liver healthy, tumor=4mm, CA19-9 normal
    06/2012 - comp 9.5cycles. Tumor=scar tissue.
    CT: NED (No evidence of new or progressive metastatic disease, No tumor recurrence.) Chemotherapy STOPPED. Only medications taken are EPIVIR for the liver and METFORMIN for type 2 diabetes.
    09/2012 - CT: NED
    12/2012 - CT: NED. Runs a 10 kilometer race.
    01/2013 - re-instated gym membership 2-hrs back to back daily training 5x weekly.
    05/2013 - CT: NED; 3-hrs back to back workouts at the gym
    08/2013 - CT: NED; 3-hrs circuit training 6x weekly

Quote Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
    I've mentioned before that when I was fresh out of college, I started dating a man eight years older than me. Shortly into our relationship he told he had bone cancer. I was incredibly naive and believed him. We dated for a year and a half and while I realized as the relationship progressed that his stories did not add up, I just couldn't even bring myself to think that he would lie to me. My family and my friends (my close friend who is a nurse) all kept telling me that there was no way he could have cancer that his stories weren't adding up and he was healthy. I was a college educated teacher, but I just refused to believe someone I loved so much could possibly lie about something like that. I ended up alienated from my family and my friends, defending my boyfriend to them- he kept saying that my family obviously didn't like him because they didn't believe him.

It took me a long time to come to grips with the fact that he was lying, call him on it and get him to admit that he had lied about the cancer. My dad, now battling pancreatic cancer, had wanted to kick this guy's a** so many times (and my dad is not a big guy nor was he ever prone to angry outbursts or violence- except when he saw what this guy was putting me through). In the end, we broke up, police involved because he was not accepting of my ending the relationship, and my friends and family welcomed me back with open arms. It took me a long time to trust again, matter of fact, I didn't date seriously again for five years after that, when I met my husband.

This man lied to me to control me and to keep me in a relationship with him because what kind of a girl would leave a boyfriend when he's got cancer? Unfortunately it took me a year and a half to finally wise up. It's been many years now and my friends and I can look back and laugh- my dad though, going through what he's going through and even before, has never and will never find it funny- because I'm his daughter and no father wants to see his daughter in a relationship with a controlling liar.

Hi, I've been trying to think of how I would respond but to no avail - mostly because it makes me angry to think of you going through this.

I think of people who do it for attention are full blown abusers. Their need for attention is so high - it overrides their empathy, compassion and respect for other people. In a sense, our attention is their alcohol - and they can't get enough.

Queensville
    Last edited by Queensville; 06-19-2013 at 12:02 AM.

Here is a link to the regular variety of Munchausen. We all know the one with the 'proxy' but here is the other one.

http://www.munchausensyndrome.net/wh...-syndrome.html

I think some of the things that jump out for under 'Symptoms to watch for' are the ' Those that seem ill but then do things that a sick person would not do, such as travel, party, and otherwise enjoy life.'. I read on another forum that when this behavior gets questioned the person will have an 'episode' which requires them to visit a hospital then they have a 'miraculous' recovery.

I also like the 'Begging for attention or asking for favors while sick'. Or... as I have seen, the offender doesn't worry about being too sick as people get used to them ringing the 'I have pancreatic cancer' bell.

I know a lady here in my home town. Her mom told her SEVEN years ago that she had pancreatic cancer - The mom decided that she would not take treatment and that she wanted nature to take it's course. I've met mommy dearest - she is thin like a cancer patient, but boy-o-boy she has been making her daughter jump for the last seven years. This woman has a husband and child - but the mom demands on her time are unreal. The daughter says she refuses nursing care... etc....

In my opinion, this mom might have something.... but pancreatic cancer? Ummmmmm I doubt it. And guess what.... her daughter is not allowed to attend any of the medical appointments - which occur only a couple of times a year.

Queensville

Senior User
    WOW Queensville, I KNOW there is no way my Joe could party on down. To us a party is going out to lunch. OR even eating a BIG dinner at home. Just the two of us. Course we have never been party animals. Yesterday he mowed the lawns on a riding mower that is a dream to operate. Took him less than a half hour start to finish.I opened the gate and moved hoses out of the way so all he had to do was ride. He came in the house and slept for over an hour after. He was exhausted. He has that cancer look thin and slightly off color. Some days very off color. Not yellow just weird pale. I know he is pushing himself as hard as he can to do some things and when he is having good days he helps me with some of the chores he used to do.

I just can not see some one faking cancer. I guess it takes all kinds. So sad. Remember the saying "Be careful what you wish for". There was a TV show on last week about a lady with that Munchausen syndrome. I was not aware of it until then.

This is all deeply disturbing. Thanks for posting the link. Makes a person go HUMMMMMMMMMMMM

Chris
    1-23-13 Mass on pancreas. Stent placed. Adenocarcinoma suspected and biopsy diagnosed Jan 31,2013. Stage three due to non operable.
    2-18-13 Port placed.
    2-19-13-First Folfox round. Folfox rounds reduced after third and tenth through 7-26-13.
    8-14-13 Whipple surgery preformed. Pathology clean margins no lymph involvement. Hospitalized 24 days. Long slow recovery. Lost 20 pounds.
    11-5-13 Scheduled to see oncologist for follow up chemo and radiation as needed.
    12-10-13-CT scan clear NED Blood work Ca 19-9 35 No chemo or radiation at this time.
    5-29-14 Next CT scan

Senior User
    I knew one. She wasn't a friend, just an acquaintance. I ended up putting her in Federal prison for fraud. (not related to the cancer; she defrauded a lot of people out of money in other ways)
    "May you be held in compassion; May your pain and suffering be eased; May you be at Peace"

Oh my gosh lise, you must have enjoyed arresting the lady.

Chris, My hubby (like yours) was definitely not up to attending functions. Even our own Wedding Vow renewal was only 13 minutes because he couldn't stand much longer then that - and he hadn't been diagnosed a year at that point. The PN made many things impossible for any length of time. All that being said, PanCan Network does have great survivor stories with people who have survived many years and are living a normal life. So, you never know.

Queensville

Senior User
    Yah Joe is almost 5 months since diagnosis. He can stand fine but does get tired easily. When we go to close town 20 miles each way and do a little bit of shopping he is snoring in his chair as soon as we get home. He has been able to help me unload the car. He can do standing things but the anemia makes him dizzy of he leans over much. He is a bit weak. Not the prime party animal.

OH Lise114 good job!!!!!

Chris
    2-18-13 Port placed.
    5-29-14 Next CT scan

Agree with Didee...Scum. Of. The. Earth.
    Does anyone ever wonder why GOOD PEOPLE get cancer?? My parents are the best people in the world...would do anything for anyone (and I'm not just saying that because they're my parents..it's the truth). In 16 months in cancer centers and infusion rooms, I've yet to see a cancer victim who was rude or nasty. They all sit there and fight in their kind ways...always smiling, saying thank you, etc. Why do selfish, cruel people seem to live lives that appear that nothing ever happens to them or those they love. I mean their parents live to ripe, old ages, their health is perfect, nothing. I just do not understand life. Sorry for this rant...it's been a very hard week

Deb, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandpa. Love and hugs to you!

+ Reply to Thread