A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: swollen lymph glands in neck

swollen lymph glands in neck

In March, I began with severe headache in the back of my head above my neck and following that quite quickly, I began with swollen glands on both sides of my neck. The swelling was more prevalent in the left side than the right, but both sides of my neck had visible swelling. Very tender to the touch and I initially went to my primarcy care physician as I have suffered with tons of allergy problems and sinus problems (they were fixed with surgery) thinking that it might be a sinus issue. He prescribed heavy dose of antibiotics although nothing relented. Coincidentally I had an appointment wiht my ENT the following week and he diagnosed it as carotidynia and gave me prednisone for one week. That did not work but swelling finally went away several weeks later. I was running low grade fever (I usually tend to have a body temp. in the 96 to 97 degree range) and have had night sweats. Those symptoms ended up going away, but recently I started with the headaches again and eventually the gland in the right side of my neck has become severly inflamed where it hurts to drink water and eat anything hard or acidic. The allergist seems to think that it is lymphadenitis (sp?) and I went ahead and made an appt. with primary care and have a scheduled appt. with ENT Monday. The primary care dr. did not want to mess with anything in terms of giving me any meds. I am in pain in my neck and don't know what it is. Any suggestions on what I should ask my dr. this Monday when I go?
    Thanks!

New User

Re: swollen lymph glands in neck

Quote Originally Posted by ashm&m
    In March, I began with severe headache in the back of my head above my neck and following that quite quickly, I began with swollen glands on both sides of my neck. The swelling was more prevalent in the left side than the right, but both sides of my neck had visible swelling. Very tender to the touch and I initially went to my primarcy care physician as I have suffered with tons of allergy problems and sinus problems (they were fixed with surgery) thinking that it might be a sinus issue. He prescribed heavy dose of antibiotics although nothing relented. Coincidentally I had an appointment wiht my ENT the following week and he diagnosed it as carotidynia and gave me prednisone for one week. That did not work but swelling finally went away several weeks later. I was running low grade fever (I usually tend to have a body temp. in the 96 to 97 degree range) and have had night sweats. Those symptoms ended up going away, but recently I started with the headaches again and eventually the gland in the right side of my neck has become severly inflamed where it hurts to drink water and eat anything hard or acidic. The allergist seems to think that it is lymphadenitis (sp?) and I went ahead and made an appt. with primary care and have a scheduled appt. with ENT Monday. The primary care dr. did not want to mess with anything in terms of giving me any meds. I am in pain in my neck and don't know what it is. Any suggestions on what I should ask my dr. this Monday when I go?
    Thanks!
    Hi ashm&m, I hope you get this reply before your appt on Monday...ask your dr. for an x-ray & a catscan...these tests will definitely give an idea if there is a possibility of lymphoma...I was sent for the same tests where a tumor was found in my chest & cancerous lymph nodes on the left side of my neck which I never felt until after the catscan...once the biopsy of one lymph node on my neck was done, the diagnosis was Hodgkins Lymphoma. Again, it may not be the same diagnosis for you as everyone is different. The best of luck to you!!!!
    Hi, I'm 43 years old and single mother of 2. I've been diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma. I've been off work ever since my diagnose & find the time longgggggg when I feel better and more human after my chemotherapy treatment. I would really enjoy to communicate with others like me. Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread