A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kids after prostate removal?

Regular User

Kids after prostate removal?

Can a man who has had his prostate removed still father children? I know that sperm would have to harvested somehow, I assume that since I still have my testicles that it can be done.
    38 y/o
    Initial PSA of 11.8 on 5/15
    Retest of PSA 9.8 on 6/17
    Biopsy on 7/3 12 of 12 cores positive, Gleason 3+4 with some cores showing 4+3
    CT scan negative
    Bone scan negative
    Surgery scheduled with Dr. William Catalona, Northwestern University Chicago 8/13/13
    Post surgery path report showed tumor went outside prostate on one side, seminal vesticles involved on one side.
    Lymph nodes showed no involvement
    Upgraded to 4+3 Gleason

Senior User
    Hi JD, - Radical Prostatectomy (RP) does not alter the formation of sperm in a man's body since that production takes place in the testes, but the system of its delivery to the female egg is essentially destroyed, since the main function of the Prostate is to generate the fluid that makes the delivery of that sperm easily accomplished. Harvesting can be accomplished after surgery, but simply "storing" your sperm prior to the surgery is a much easier and simpler solution to having it available for impregnation in the future. It appears from your signature that it is not an option, at this point, for you. I suggest you check with Dr. Catalona's office for an appropriate referral. - John@ newPCa.org (aka) az4peaks

Top User
    Fathering a child with an uncertain life expectancy is an issue you have come to terms with I hope..

Yes, it IS theoretically possible to harvest enough sperm to father a child but it's a difficult and expensive process...
    PSA at age 55: 3.5, DRE negative.
    65: 8.5, DRE " normal", biopsy, 12 core, negative...
    66 9.0 DRE "normal", BPH, (Proscar)
    67 4.5 DRE "normal" second biopsy, negative.
    67.5 5.6, DRE "normal" U-doc worried..
    age 68, 7.0, third biopsy (June 2010) positive for cancer in 4 cores, 2 cores Gleason 6, one core Gleason 7. one core Gleason 9. RALP on Sept. 3, 2010, Positive margin, post-op PSA. 0.9, SRT , HT. Feb.2011 PSA <0.1 Oct 2011 <0.1 Feb 2012 <0.01 Sept 2012 0.8 June 2013 1.1, Casodex added, PSA 0.04 10/2013. PSA 0.32 1/14

Top User
    Should have banked your sperms prior to surgery. I am surprised your surgeon and urologist did not counsel you on this since you are very young. You have the right to be upset if they did not.

Senior User
    I agree with 4peaks. The time to harvest and freeze your sperm should be presurgery. Not saying that it couldn't be done post surgery but prior to surgery would have been so much easier.
    B

Regular User
    Well, I should have/would have banked sperm had I known my wife was going to hit me with a divorce.
    We were not thinking of more kids, but now that I am faced with this change, I can't help but wonder if a woman in my future will want kids with me. I know there are other alternatives, but for some women it could be a deal breaker.
    38 y/o
    Initial PSA of 11.8 on 5/15
    Retest of PSA 9.8 on 6/17
    Biopsy on 7/3 12 of 12 cores positive, Gleason 3+4 with some cores showing 4+3
    CT scan negative
    Bone scan negative
    Surgery scheduled with Dr. William Catalona, Northwestern University Chicago 8/13/13
    Post surgery path report showed tumor went outside prostate on one side, seminal vesticles involved on one side.
    Lymph nodes showed no involvement
    Upgraded to 4+3 Gleason

Senior User
    No sense looking in the rear view mirror. If you desire a new partner and want kids I'm sure there are women out there who would be happy with the situation. Just stay positive and keep your chips in the game.
    B

+ Reply to Thread