A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anomaly ? Moms CT scan results

Newbie New User

Anomaly ? Moms CT scan results

My mom (55 yrs old) had a right hemicolectomy in March of this year. She was staged as a 2. They tested almost 30 lymph nodes and they were all clear. After two opinions and much soul searching the decision was made not to do chemo. She has severe psoriasis which would have been exacerbated and chemo was slated to only improve her chances by like 2%.

In any case she had her first CT scan two weeks ago. All her blood work has been consistently improving since surgery, and is still "good". But there was an anomaly on the scan where her intestines were rejoined (forgive me if my medical terminology isn't perfect I'm still learning). Initially her oncologist was going to order a colonoscopy, but then changed her mind and has ordered a PET scan first again due to the psoriasis. Psoriasis increases scar tissue formation and her oncologist wonders if that is what was on the CT scan... But I hate to say this I feel like we are being given false hope almost. The PET scan is scheduled for Monday. What should I expect? Tumor recurrence? Or more anomalies?

I know I should just wait and stay positive but we have a family trip planned for the holidays and my mom was SO excited and feeling better... I don't want her or my father or me for that matter to be filled with false hope when it's possible the CT scan results were just down played...

I think she has fabulous doctors whom I trust, I just have a bad feeling.

Super Moderator Top User Hope2012's Avatar
    Unfortunately you are in the "hurry up and wait" period. The waiting for results is so stressful and the "scanxiety" can be debilitating. The fact that scar tissue is a real possibility because of her psoriasis makes that more likely it seems. Hold on to the positive if you can...and try not to dwell on negatives and what ifs. I know it's hard, but at least her scan is Monday and there isn't a long time before that happens.

My fingers are crossed that things will work out for the better and that you all can still travel for the holidays!
    This dark night shall end and the sun will rise again...
    Believe

- Dad diagnosed in 1992 with primary bladder cancer
    - bladder removed and new one made from resected intestine
    - chemotherapy regimen started
    - mets to large intestines discovered in 1993...more chemo...tumors disappearing
    - complained of neck pain Dec 1994. Mets to brainstem confirmed
    - passed away Feb 24, 1995

Senior User
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope2012 View Post
    Unfortunately you are in the "hurry up and wait" period. The waiting for results is so stressful and the "scanxiety" can be debilitating. The fact that scar tissue is a real possibility because of her psoriasis makes that more likely it seems. Hold on to the positive if you can...and try not to dwell on negatives and what ifs. I know it's hard, but at least her scan is Monday and there isn't a long time before that happens.

My fingers are crossed that things will work out for the better and that you all can still travel for the holidays!
    What he sayes!!! The results will be what they are. You will deal with them accordingly.
    Age 47 Male
    5/18/12 - Family Dr ordered emergancy CT and colonsopy
    5/23/12 - Diagnosed with Stage 4 Rectal Cancer w/mets in Liver
    6/28/12 - Combined lower bowel resection and liver resection.
    9/7/12 - Last day of Chemo. Folfox Blood Clot in Leg.
    1/25/13 - Last day of Second Round of Chemo Folfox
    4/25/13 - Ostamy Reversal
    9/9/13 - Clear Scan-High CEA
    9/16/13 - Pet Scan shows 4 new spots in Liver
    10/3/13 - Second Liver Resection removes tumor #6,7,8,9.
    11/1/13 - Started FolFiri
    2/7/14 - Pet scan shows several areas of concern. Now we wait and see.
    5/13/14 - Pet scan shows 3 large tumors in the Liver. Time to see Surgeon again.
    6/12/14 - Third Liver Resection removes Tumor #10,11,12.
    7/16/14 - Started Xeloda and Avastin
    9/22/14 - Fistula goes septic. 2 Major Surgeries later Permanent Ostomy.
    10/8/14 - Blood clot in Leg. Allergic reaction to Blood Thinner.

Moderator Senior User Fourlegsgood's Avatar
    I went to meet my consultant 2 days ago as part of my post operation check up procedure. It is now about 2 years and 4 months since my operation.

I didn't have a scan or any other tests and it was just a "how do you feel? Any problems?" Type of meeting. But also it was to discuss my future testing schedule.

I will not have a scan until summer 2014. I asked about colonoscopy scheduling and he said probably every 5 years.

The reason for posting on this thread is that my consultant said that a reoccurance at the same site is very unlikely if there were good clear margins and even so the tumours are so slow growing that it was pointless to test any more frequently. I would therefore hope that what has shown up with your mum is indeed scar tissue and is not anything else particularly bearing in mind how recent her operation was.

Also, I seem to remember that Barry on here had some issues with the join which he at first feared was the beast coming back. No doubt he will be along soon to comment.

I hope there is an innocent reason for what is showing up. I know it's hard not to let the mind wander towards suspecting the worst but I wouldn't panic just yet.

Nick
    Last edited by Fourlegsgood; 11-03-2013 at 07:25 AM.
    Age 1/2 way to 118. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping after 8 weeks and first competition 10 weeks after operation. July 2012, CT scan clear. June 2014, CT scan clear.

Newbie New User
    Thank you everyone for your input and reassurance. You are making the "hurry up and wait" period more tolerable for me!

Fourlegsgood that's really interesting what you said about your post op testing schedule. My mom was having blood work every three months, this was the first ct scan and it was going to be a colonoscopy every year. I am not sure why this course was chosen, maybe because she did not have chemo therapy? She did have clean margins though thankfully. I know in terms of spreading they were concerned about her liver but nothing has shown up there so far. They had mentioned needing to keep an eye on where it was rejoined too though.

I am one of those people who also had clean margins in 2008 when they did my first surgery.

By two years later it had grown back.

In retrospect I wish I had insisted on a scan sooner. A year is too long in my view.
    Of course it's easy to second guess, but think of it this way, by the time my recurrence was taken out with the APR surgery and colostomy, four of my twelve lymph nodes were impacted.

Now I am stage four, with mets in my pelvis and lungs.

I would suggest to everyone to be aggressive getting check up scans done. Just my two cents.

Cheers
    DulcimerGal
    Rectal Cancer diagnosed Valentines Day 2008 - stage 3
    Finished 6 weeks of radiation and chemo 4/23/08
    Surgery to remove tumor - June 18th 2008
    Colostomy Reversal August 20th 2008
    Chemotherapy 5 months (Xeloda) finished Christmas 2008
    Local recurrence found May 2011
    Permanent colostomy and salvage APR surgery June 3rd 2011
    Stage 3C - 4 of 12 lymph nodes involved
    Finished 12 treatments of FOLFOX 6 - January 17th 2012 - Happy Dance!
    March 2012 - clean CAT Scan
    August 2012 - Cancer moves to stage 4
    CAT shows cancer cells implanted in pelvis/abdomen
    September - PET shows lung lesion 1.4 x 1 cm
    October - begin sessions of Folfiri.3 - Avastin, Irotecan, 5fu
    February 2013 - tumors shrinking, continuing biweekly chemo
    April 2013 finished all 12 Folfiri treatments, scan shows only lung lesions
    May - October Blessed chemo break!
    October 2013, scan shows more growth in pelvis and lungs
    Continue with biweekly Folfiri.3 - Avastin, Irotecan, leucovorin, 5fu
    April 2014 CAT scan shows tumors in liver
    June 2014 More tumor growth, stop Irinotecan cocktail after two years
    June 2014 Begin Regorafenib (Stivarga)

Super Moderator Top User
    As Nick pointed out, yes I had and still have "something" where they joined me up again.
    That was after 70% of my colon was removed.
    They can't figure out what it is despite CT and MRI scans, forgive me I know but they won't officially tell me.
    It is a restriction at the join or should I say constriction.
    How do I know a little birdie (our consultant anaesthetic friend) quietly mentioned it, yet they have never mentioned it and when I asked they avoided answering directly.
    So as long as it doesn't threaten my health, I'll live with the grumblings, gassing and BM's.
    Other than that I'm going to get on with my life as I have no intention of going back in for them to stretch it during a colonoscopy procedure unless it is absolutely essential.

I'm guessing what showed up is a innocent result of surgery.
    Good luck
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    13 Aug Pain Management dept
    18 Aug ENT.
    Wait, watch and learn (Not too much I hope)
    Stop grumbling Baz, your alive and kicking and too much to do in my life.
    Motto
    Do what I enjoy doing, when I want until I can't.

Newbie New User
    Thanks Barry,

I'm glad you are able to get on with things as normal despite whatever it is!

My mom was asymptomatic when she was diagnosed and her only symptom now is feeling bloated she says so yeah, hopefully something that doesn't get in the way of her getting on with life!

Fingers crossed for you and for her xx

Newbie New User
    Hi everyone,

Firstly thank you again for those who replied, your words mean a lot to me.

Secondly it was good news! No cancer on the PET scan! (Honestly it's been so long since good medical news in my family i forgot what this feels like). She will still be having a colonoscopy in a few weeks because the oncologist wants her surgeon to figure out why there is inflammation at the surgery/join sight. But that's not bad at all.

Next oncology appointment in 3 months for blood work.

I hope everyone has a nice weekend, and has Veterans Day off if you're in the US. You're all in my thoughts.

So glad for such good news!!! We LOVE to hear the good news around here!!!!!
    March 18, 2012: Emergency Appendectomy w/ Adenocarinoma & Carcinoid Tumor found; met. Adenocarinoma spot on liver (Stage IV)
    April 2012: Microwave Liver Ablation/ Folfox 6 Chemo begins
    September 23, 2012: Last Folfox 6 treatment
    October 2012: Otreatide scan all clear/ MRI - spot on liver barely perceptible
    November 28, 2012: Liver resection (15%)- Clear pathology report
    December 7, 2012: CANCER-FREE!!!!!!!
    March 1, 2013: Clear CT scan
    June 14, 2013: Clear MRI-
    August 2013: 3 spots found (1 on each ovary/1 in rectouterine fossa)
    Sept 2013: Folfiri +Avastin begins
    Nov. 2013: PET & CT =1 spot undetectable and other 2 spots w/ 40% shrinkage
    March 2014: Finished 12 rounds of chemo; CT scan showed clear ovaries with shrinkage in spot near rectum
    April 2014: Total hysterectomy, partial rectum resection
    May 2014: NED
    June - July 2014: 25 rounds of pelvic external beam radiation (precautionary)
    August 2014: CT scan = NED

Top User
    I, too, love good news. So happy for you and your family. Hope they figure out the problem and are able to fix it.

Amanda
    Caregiver to son, 32 , 5/18/2011 Stage IV
    Sigmoid colectomy , liver biopsy 5/18/2011
    6cm sigmoid tumor, low grade (well-to-mod. differentiated)
    6 of 33 lymph nodes +
    FOLFOX /Avastin 6/2011-8/2011
    Rt hepatectomy on 9/20/2011---70%
    FOLFOX /Avastin 4 cycles 1/31 stopped-low platelets
    3/5 CT clear
    4/ PET scan showed peritoneal mets
    4/24 splenic embolization for low platelets
    FOLFIRI/ Avastin 5/12-8/12
    Consult for HIPEC 8/12 denied---tumors too many, possibly in ureter.
    5FU/ Avastin 8/2012-2/2013
    12/5/12 scan tumors stable
    12/12 aranespt
    3/5 tumor progression in abdomin
    Restart FOLFIRI/ Avastin with lower dose of Irinotecan 3/11-3/25
    nuelasta shots
    ER - bowel obstruction 4/4
    Port removed 4/12
    Port replaced 5/9
    ER 30 hrs
    Erbitux in, Irinotecan lowered 5/20 & 6/17
    9/17scan indicates stable
    9/18-27 & 10/7-11 small bowel obst.
    Erbitux & Irinotecan 11/5, 12/2
    Bowel obst. 12/31
    1/8 urether stent
    1/17 Hospice
    3/27 started his heavenly journey

Super Moderator Top User sheila's Avatar
    not today- Im glad to hear things seem under control for now and yes they will keep a watch they will also do routine bloodwork and scans. hope things go a bit better from now on.
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Super Moderator Top User
    Not today ,
    Apologies for the late response, whoopee sound like your mom and I have the same rock in the road.
    But heck that's better than the alternative.
    Omeprazole seems for me anyway to quiet down the bloating and gas, gurgling, still have them but far less than before.
    Hoping for clean bloods, clean colonoscopy and a good "discussion" with her surgeon.
    Congratulations for the good uplifting news.
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    13 Aug Pain Management dept
    18 Aug ENT.
    Wait, watch and learn (Not too much I hope)
    Stop grumbling Baz, your alive and kicking and too much to do in my life.
    Motto
    Do what I enjoy doing, when I want until I can't.

+ Reply to Thread