A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Letter from doctor

Newbie New User

Question Letter from doctor

I am a Deputy Fire Chief in CT and was recently diagnosed with PC. CT has a presumptuous cancer law for police officers and firefighters. In order to file a Workmen Compensation Claim you need a letter from your Doctor. My Doctor said his higher ups won't allow him to do so. Anybody ever run into this problem? Any ideas for a solution?

Senior User
    I am confused, are you sure you aren't thinking about long term disability or is there a tie between firefighting and colon cancer?
    Spouse/Caregiver of 54 yr old male
    Diagnosed Primary CNS Lymphoma 2/2011
    HDMTX Chemo- 8 cycles
    HDMTX Maintenance Chemo- 11 cycles
    Complications: clots, kidney issues, slow clearance of
    chemo, dermatitis
    11/2013 Recurring clots in lungs/legs
    Scan 12-27-13 all clear
    Scan 3-13 all clear
    Next scan in October, done and all clear!

what is the jist of the presumptive cancer law? what do you need him to write in the letter?

Senior User
    Depends on what they need the letter to say.
    If they are only asking the doctor to indicate that you have prostate cancer, then assuming you have a Gleason 6 or higher I don't know why they would hesitate.

On the other hand if the letter needs to state that the prostate cancer is related to your work, that is completely different.
    Or if they are being asked to indicate that you will be disabled during or after treatment that may also cause them to hesitate.

So what is the required letter or form asking for? A statement of fact or a opinion?

Is it for temporary disability or for a disability retirement?

Claims for Workers comp are given to workers that have a work related injury. CT may be different or you may be thinking of short term disabililty?
    Marty
    Age 63
    2/07 PSA 5.5
    2/09 PSA 7
    1/13 PSA 14.2
    12 Core Biopsy 3/13 Results Suspicious
    12 Core Biopsy 4/13 Positive for PC
    Left Apex: Prostatic Adenocarcinoma
    Gleason Score 4+3=7
    1 mm; 5% of tissue
    Size 56.4 grams
    Bone Scan Negative

Da Vinci Surgery 6/24/13 Nerve Sparing, age 62.
    Post Op Path Report
    87 Grams (Big One), 5x5x5 cm.
    Largest focus within Left and Right Apex
    Gleason Score 3+4=7 (was 4+3)
    Staging Pt2c pN0
    Occupying less than 10% Prostatic Volume
    Positive Margins Extending to Right and Left Apex Margin
    No Extra Prostatic Extension Identified
    No Lymphovascular or Perineural Invasion Identified
    Left and Right Pelvic Lymph Nodes Negative. Two nodes taken from both.
    Negative Base Lateral, Seminal Vesicle, Vas Deferens
    Additional Findings: Microscopic focus of 3+3=6 Acinar Acencocarcimoma,0.2 cm, Right Posterior, Confined to Prostatic Parenchyma.
    PSA 09/13 <0.05
    PSA 01/14 <0.05
    PSA 04/14 <0.05
    PSA 07/14 0.06

I'd not heard of presumptive disability before, but there is indeed a lot of info on the internet. Connecticut does include prostate cancer. As for a doctor not cooperating, I'd quickly expand my list of professionals by adding a Worker Comp attorney to the mix. Although my first call would be to the firefighter's Union, to see what advice/assistance they offer.

Business Insurance, 2008

More than 40 states have some type of presumptive disability statutes for firefighters, according to the International Assn. of Fire Fighters. Although they vary widely, the laws essentially provide that certain conditions, from skin cancer to hepatitis C to heart attacks, are presumed to be job-related and compensable under workers comp, with some limitations.
    As a result, rather than firefighters proving that their conditions are job-related, the public entity has to prove that they are not, which observers say is a tough hurdle to overcome, especially since many presumptive conditions such as cancer and heart attacks are prevalent in the general population. In some states, the presumptions are not refutable.
    Presumptive Disability Law in Connecticut

Sec. 31-294j. Eligibility of municipal firefighters, police officers, constables and volunteer ambulance service members re benefits for diseases arising out of and in the course of employment.

Eligibility of municipal firefighters, police officers, constables and volunteer ambulance service members re benefits for diseases arising out of and in the course of employment. For the purpose of adjudication of claims for payment of benefits under the provisions of this chapter, a uniformed member of a paid municipal or volunteer fire department, a regular member of a paid municipal police department, a constable, as defined in section 31-294i, or a member of a volunteer ambulance service shall be eligible for such benefits for any disease arising out of and in the course of employment, including, but not limited to, hepatitis, meningococcal meningitis, tuberculosis, Kahler’s Disease, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, and prostate or testicular cancer that results in death or temporary or permanent total or partial disability.
    Tarceva hints in this thread.

Hospice - a support thread here .

+ Reply to Thread