A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Colonoscopy on Friday - Scared to death!

Newbie New User

Colonoscopy on Friday - Scared to death!

Ok, so English is not my native language so i'll try to explain this as good as i can.
    I am almost 30, mother of a 3 year old. I am scared to death at the moment as i have a colonoscopy to attend to on Friday. Here is what led to that...
    I have had very slow metabolism since always. I was slightly overweight all my life (160cm height and 56-65 kg weight) and been dieting couple of times. Before getting pregnant 3 years ago i actually managed to get my perfect weight and did aerobics for couple of years. However, i gained weight while breastfeeding and now, 2 years later i weigh 64kg. I did some aerobics during the summer, but i stopped. Just to stress that i haven't had hemorrhoids during pregnancy. I have worked in a bank for the last 6 1/2 years which means sitting throughout most of the day. It all started to look serious this summer. I was eating lots of salad and drinking couple of glasses of red wine from time to time and wasn't really eating well. One day i ended up having a very hard stool and i noticed a fair amount of fresh bright red blood at the end of the stool. It wasn't just a spot on the toilet paper. Soon after an external hemorrhoid showed up. I changed my diet, started doing some exercise and used a hemorrhoid cream and soon it was gone. Had no problems for couple of months. Than, few months ago it happened again - hard stool, fresh blood but no external hemorrhoid. It stopped right away because i started taking more fiber and my stool came normal. I had occult blood test and it was negative all 3 samples. 1 month ago i had a stomach flu - typical symptoms with vomiting, diarrhea and fever. It lasted only for 1 1/2 day and it was over. I started eating normal right away. 5 days have passed and i experienced mild stomach ache - like a bad digestion or something. Than i was filling off for 1 day and a severe diarrhea started. No stomach pain, no blood. I went to the doctor and i was said i had a entero virus which is nothing to be scared of. I had a fever and muscle ache as well. I did a bacteria in stool check up and it was negative. I also did an occult blood test and it was negative as well. She put me on a special diet and some anti diarrhea medications. I did a blood count and everything was perfect - including erythrocytes and hemoglobin, liver enzymes and CEA levels, but my iron level was very low - only 3 which was strange as i never had low iron before. It has always been above 14. My doctor said it was probably a mistake. My diarrhea has just stopped so i re-did my blood count in a better laboratory with a stress on the iron and it turned out my iron was around 15 which is normal but now my liver enzymes were up - ALT was 140. 5 days ago it was only 14 which was strange as hell. I wen to an internist which did an ultrasound and everything was perfect with my liver and other organs so we even did a hepatitis test which was negative on all types. The doctor said it is all because of the stomach virus and to do a re-check on the blood in 1 month. My grandmother have died from colon cancer when she was 30 years old so it was the first thing to come to my mind. When i asked her she told me there is no way for me to have that.
    After the stomach flu, my stool was looking good. It wasn't hard, it had good color. I had a freshly squeezed juice made of carrots, fruits and beets. I also had some red wine. In the morning i had very hard stool with some fresh blood on the toilet paper. My rectum hurt too. I started using hemorrhoids cream again. 2 days after i have regular stools, always in the morning - but they are thick with some pain in the start just to end up softer. Two days there is a drop of fresh blood on the toilet paper. So - i scheduled a colonoscopy on Friday and i am so scared. I cry, i am reading cancer patient stories and i am quite depressed. I also experienced some lower back pain yesterday which spread to my left leg but i was sitting 8 hours on a very bad chair so my doctor said it was probably that and it passed right away. From my symptoms - do you think i should be that scared? Do you think it was smart for me to do a colonoscopy (which i am going to do with mild anesthetic given through veins) and is it risky? What to expect? Please help. Thank you in advance.

Helena,
    First, relax and stay off of Dr. Google, everything on there leads to cancer. It is good you are following up though. Every other test came back fine and this should put your mind at ease. We are not doctors but to me it sounds like hemhorroids. It always happens after a hard stool in which you probably have to push hard hence the blood.

Colonoscopies are a breeze but the prep kinda stinks. I am going through that right now as I have one tomorrow. Relax and good luck on Friday and I hope we never hear from you again. Nothing personal.
    Allen
    Stage 3B Colon cancer 8/23/2011
    Resection 9/15/11
    Folfox starts 10/31/11
    Dehydration,blood clots, numerous hospitalization due to complications
    Gall bladder/ hernia repair, 4/2013
    Melanoma sole of right foot 2010
    Clean scans so far.

Top User
    Jelena,

Allen is right about the relaxing part, however, given your grandmothers history, it is wise to have the colonoscopy just to be sure. After my son's diagnosis, the doctor recommended that my other children have them since there could be a genetic component to his cancer even though the genetic testing didn't show that it was one of the recognized conditions. Best of luck and do let us know the results of your test.

Amanda
    Caregiver to son, 32 , 5/18/2011 Stage IV
    Sigmoid colectomy , liver biopsy 5/18/2011
    6cm sigmoid tumor, low grade (well-to-mod. differentiated)
    6 of 33 lymph nodes +
    FOLFOX /Avastin 6/2011-8/2011
    Rt hepatectomy on 9/20/2011---70%
    FOLFOX /Avastin 4 cycles 1/31 stopped-low platelets
    3/5 CT clear
    4/ PET scan showed peritoneal mets
    4/24 splenic embolization for low platelets
    FOLFIRI/ Avastin 5/12-8/12
    Consult for HIPEC 8/12 denied---tumors too many, possibly in ureter.
    5FU/ Avastin 8/2012-2/2013
    12/5/12 scan tumors stable
    12/12 aranespt
    3/5 tumor progression in abdomin
    Restart FOLFIRI/ Avastin with lower dose of Irinotecan 3/11-3/25
    nuelasta shots
    ER - bowel obstruction 4/4
    Port removed 4/12
    Port replaced 5/9
    ER 30 hrs
    Erbitux in, Irinotecan lowered 5/20 & 6/17
    9/17scan indicates stable
    9/18-27 & 10/7-11 small bowel obst.
    Erbitux & Irinotecan 11/5, 12/2
    Bowel obst. 12/31
    1/8 urether stent
    1/17 Hospice
    3/27 started his heavenly journey

Super Moderator Top User sheila's Avatar
    I have to agree with both Allen and Amanda- they both gave you good advise.
    let us know how things turn out for you hopefully nothing to worry about.
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Newbie New User
    Thank you so much for your words. I started the colonoscopy preparation today. I am supposed to drink tea, apple juice, carbonated drinks, and broth without noodles. At 5pm i should drink 2 litters of Fortrans - to clean my colon. So i am experiencing something weird from this morning - i had a cup of tea with honey than 3 glasses of apple juice, 2 glasses of Coke and 2 cups of broth so far and i my bowls are making very very strange noises and i've already visited the bathroom for 3 times. My stool is getting looser and lighter and the last time i even had a little bit of diarrhea. Is this normal? Are my bowls just nervous or is it the too much drinks? Have you experienced this when you were preparing for the colonoscopy?
    Thank you so much.

Super Moderator Top User sheila's Avatar
    jelena- its all normal should go to running clear but you will be spending more time in the bathroom. good luck with your test.
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

+ Reply to Thread