A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Father passed away

Father passed away

My father passed away on Friday October 20, 2006. He was 72. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in May/June '06. He underwent radiation and also Chemo but couldn't finish out the Chemo due to weakness and complications. It doesn't appear that the treatments he received had any effect on the cancer.

I wanted to thank all that shared information on this site over the past year. It was a great source to turn to when we needed REAL life information, REAL stories to understand the severity of what was happening. For that I will always be thankful.

May God bless you all and may you take advantage of everyday that he gives you.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Experienced User
    My deepest sympathies go out to you and your family on the loss of your father. I found this poem on the internet...I hope you like it.

God looked around his Garden and found an empty place.
    He then looked down upon his earth and saw your loving face.

He put his arms around you and lifted you to rest.
    His Garden must be beautiful, he always takes the best.
    He knew that you were suffering, he knew you were in pain.
    And knew that you would never get well on earth again.
    He saw your path was difficult, he closed you tired eyes,
    He whispered to you "Peace be Thine" and gave you wings to fly.
    When we saw you sleeping so calm and free of pain,
    We would not wish you back to earth to suffer once again.
    You've left us precious memories, your love will be our guide,
    You live on through your children, you're always by our side.
    It broke our hearts to lose you, but you did not go alone.
    For part of us went with you on the day God called you home.

Take good care of yourself and keep in touch...

May your father rest in eternal peace and happiness in Heaven. God Bless,

Thank you Missumom. That poem is beautiful. It certainly helps with the grieving. We burried my father today and he had a military funural that was filled with class and dignity. It was very moving watching the Marines take such care of the flag as they folded it and gave it to my mother. Chilling when the 21 gun salute echoed in the background and absolutely heart wrenching when another soldier played 'Taps' just a few feet away.

He is in a much better place now. He let us know that he lived a life with no regrets. He has seen and done so much in his life. A wonderful wife, healthy children and some grand kids too. He didnt want us to feel sad or to pity him. He loved a party, loved talking to anyone. No matter which walk of life one came from, he could easily relate and converse on any level with them. A fantastic man with wit, creativity and intellegence. His sense of humor was great. No matter what the situation was, he was always the center in the circle speaking while others were listening.

I am so lucky to have had shared 32 of his 72 years on this earth. I am even luckier to be able to let people know that I am his son.

Experienced User
    I was so sorry to hear about your Father's death but so glad to hear about the beautiful tribute. It sounds as if his funeral was planned with the same loving care you had been able to show him over these past few months. Sam was Air Force so I can relate to the pride you must have felt watching the Honor Guard. Funny, in reading about your Dad, I couldn't help think that Sam would have enjoyed knowing him.
    I'm sure this season is going to be rough for you- I hope you find comfort in your memories. When there doesn't seem to be any comfort, I hope you find strength enough to see you to a place of peace. I wish I had some wisdom to bestow but I struggle every day. Reenie

Quote Originally Posted by missumom
    My deepest sympathies go out to you and your family on the loss of your father. I found this poem on the internet...I hope you like it.

God looked around his Garden and found an empty place.
    He then looked down upon his earth and saw your loving face.

He put his arms around you and lifted you to rest.
    His Garden must be beautiful, he always takes the best.
    He knew that you were suffering, he knew you were in pain.
    And knew that you would never get well on earth again.
    He saw your path was difficult, he closed you tired eyes,
    He whispered to you "Peace be Thine" and gave you wings to fly.
    When we saw you sleeping so calm and free of pain,
    We would not wish you back to earth to suffer once again.
    You've left us precious memories, your love will be our guide,
    You live on through your children, you're always by our side.
    It broke our hearts to lose you, but you did not go alone.
    For part of us went with you on the day God called you home.

Take good care of yourself and keep in touch...

May your father rest in eternal peace and happiness in Heaven. God Bless,

That is a great poem. We actually used that poem on our mass cards when my father passed away this past august. I still am shocked that he is not here right now physically. I know he lives on though in everyone he has touched.

Experienced User
    Hi,

The first year after losing someone close is the toughest. It's the first of everything without them physically present. When I see pictures of my mom, I'm still in disbelief that she's gone. Most of the time, I put it in the back of my mind so that I don't think of her. I know that she is in a better place, but I would give anything to turn back time and pause it to when our family was complete. I wish it didn't happen this way. I wish it didn't happen at all. I was hoping she would live to her 80's.

God give us strength.

I am so so sorry for the sorrow you're feeling deep within your soul. Your Dad was very dear to your heart & you will miss him terribly. The poem was FABULOUS & I will consider using it when the time comes for my husband....time on this earth is so short...isn't it?

God be with you & your family in your time of need

Take Care

+ Reply to Thread