A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pain from Neupogen shots

Experienced User

Pain from Neupogen shots

Has anyone had to take these shots and if so did your oncologist get upset when you had to take your pain meds every 4 hours or so because your bones hurt so bad? What should I do because I hate to watch my daughter hurt so much and then have to deal with doctors who do not want to prescribe her pain med (Norco 5mg/325mg) she is scared to take moriphine. Is there alternate pain meds out ther for her?

Experienced User
    Hi, Boldelly:
    I took neupogen shots and my bones ached, too. I am sorry your daughter is in so much pain and that you feel helpless. Morphine is scary sounding; but I know cancer patients who have taken it with great pain relief (maybe your daughter could get an IV where she controls the doses?). The only pain only medication I took was for migraines. I hope someone else will be of more help.

Experienced User
    Thanks for your help, they have tried to give it to her in pill form 5 mg. My sister passed in March 06 before we found out my daughter was sick and there were some issues with the moriphine in my sister (just that she was kinda out of it). I keep telling Randi (my daughter) that this they are giving her is not the same dosage they gave my sister. But she does not want to take it. Finally the doctor called her in some Norco 7.5 mg which I think will cut down on how much she is taking at a time and we are now four days out from the last shot so her bones should begin to feel a little better. We go tomorrow for the PET scan and she is worried because her hip has started hurting I told her it was probably just the neupogen shots and nothing else. Just wondering if any one elese suffered the same bone pain she has trough this ordeal. Thanks for your help and all of your replies. I am glad you are doing well and you give us folks hope in knowing you beat this cancer and so can we. Thank you and God Bless. Keep posting you sound like you have really good advice.

Regular User

Norco 325/10

Hi I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003. Ive been through hell, I had a double mastectomy with reconstruction that didnt turn out ok then I had to have a tram flap on the right side due to an infection. Then I had a hernia repair from the where they cut me from hip to hip that needed surgery to fix. Then I needed a stent in my chest and an angioplasty from all the veins collapsing in my chest causing my face and upper extremities to swell. After that news I went home and woke up one day and was unable to walk on my left leg I had severe pain I went back into the hospital and my worst fear happened. The cancer spread to my bones and back. SO it went to my back first them to the left hip and down the left femur I needed a rod put into my femur and now the cancer is in the left knee and pelvis. Ive been on chemo and radiation then back on radiation and now have 6 months of chemo. I start nuepogen next week so about the pain meds I have been on norco for years. It really works for me but the problem is I have no problems getting the scripts I get 360 pills a month thats 12 pills a day, And I still run out sometimes from the pain I have. SO now I told the dr if you give me nuepogen you must give me enough pain meds to work on the pain and my biggest problem is getting the pills from the pharmacy. They have a 30 day rule. I have to wait 30 days, SO my dr said as long as I write a different script they have to cash it in. SO I have to prepare my pharmacy for this and pray they can help me. ANd still be able to get my next script.. on time I dont know its tricky but frustrating Im in so much pain as it is and to run out and go through withdrawel on top of that forget it. I will die. Did anyone ever go through withdrawel from Norco.. WOW its bad..

My mom had her first neupogen shot after going almost a year without, similar to you. Her back/spine and hips hurt really badly and her body ached. It wasn't unbearable. She took tylenol and it subsided. It lasted a few days. Happy holidays and I hope you are feeling great.

hmmm thats strange im 13 I had to take 8 neupogen shots because of my neutriphil being 0... and i got emla cream(numbing stuff) and it only hurt inside for a few seconds and i didnt have any bone pain after.

Maybe i was just too happy that i could have fruit finally lol

Administrator Top User brainman's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi guys, while there is nothing wrong with resurrecting old topics, the last time any of the previous contributors to this topic posted anything was over a year ago. Although sometimes replying to there messages sometimes gets them back, I would not hold my breath. Nevertheless, the two of you are more than welcome to continue to share your experiences with neupogen. Since I never needed it, I have nothing to contribute. Sorry.
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by brainman View Post
    Hi guys, while there is nothing wrong with resurrecting old topics, the last time any of the previous contributors to this topic posted anything was over a year ago. Although sometimes replying to there messages sometimes gets them back, I would not hold my breath. Nevertheless, the two of you are more than welcome to continue to share your experiences with neupogen. Since I never needed it, I have nothing to contribute. Sorry.
    I just wanted to say that I was diagnosed with multiple myelma in April, and I'm scheduled to start neupogen the middle of this month, in prep for a stem cell transplant. I found this thread, and found it helpful. So -- it may not bring back the original people, but new people like me find all of this new and helpful. Thanks to all, old and new, for your comments.

Newbie New User
    Don't know if this will help but my friends husband has tongue and neck cancer. Diagnosed in March and did induction chemo and radiation. The one thing that absolutely helped with pain from neuprogen shots was Claritin D. Must be D!! Definitely made a difference after 1st shot he was in excrutiating pain but next times he needed shots he took Claritin D day before shot, day of shot and for 2 days after. Google Claritin D and neuprogen. Hope this makes a difference. Its the antihistimine that helps.

+ Reply to Thread