A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lump on head

Lump on head

About 3 weeks ago, I noticed that i had a lump on my head, which is barely noticeable unless u really run your finger along, about 2 inches above my left temple. Its like on top of my head but more over to the left side. Now, for the last 2 months, I have been having problems with my left eye, and it doesnt seem as focused and i have been having pains every now and again from behind. Aout 7 weeks ago i went for my eye check, and the optician insisted that that was nothign wrong with my eyes, and it just looked like a small infection which would clear in about 2 weeks. 6 weeks later, nothign had got better, and I was starting to have light headaches, so i visited the doctors and the optician again. Now the Optician said that it looked like an allergy, and she was pretty sure on that as i have swollen lymphs in my neck, and my doctor said it was nothing to worry about and that you can get sore lumps on your head that will go after some time.

But the thing is, its everyday now for like 2 weeks that for about 10-15 minutes this lump will hurt and thats wher ethe headache will be. I'm wooried this could be connected to the problem with my eye and neck, as I have heard that it can spread to these areas. The thing is, neither my doctor or optician will take this seriously, and they think I worry too much and that Im too young for anything liek a brain tumour just because I'm 15. But I've knwon of people who have had a bran tumour at the age of 8 and 12, and i know it can happen. Im just really worried, and was hoping someone could give me some advice.

New User

Lump on head

Hi Dan,
    just a few comments for you. An optician is not a medical doctor, nor is an optometrist. You may want a "second opinion" from a medical eye doctor which is an opthamologist. When a particular area of the brain is
    injured you see the effect on the opposite side. For example, my mother-in-law has a glioblastoma in the LEFT side of her brain, but has lost her
    vision in her RIGHT eye. However, her presenting symptoms were
    vision changes. She went to 2 different eye doctors thinking the lenses
    in her glasses needed upgrading. She was told her lens prescription was
    fine and that she might actually have the beginnings of macular degeneration which happens in the elderly. No one took her seriously.
    She started to think she was actually having a nervous breakdown when she started walking into walls. Finally they started to take her seriously
    and started a series of MRIs. (brain scans). I don't know what your health
    insurance/provider situation is, but keep advocating for yourself. Get
    another opinion.
    snep

Thanks for the inf. My mother has booked an appointment with doctors for wednesday. But last night somethign realy odd happened. At about 12 oclock i noticed that i had this feeling of pressure in my left side of my head, that didn't fo dor about 2 hours. Although it wasn't painful, it was uncomforable and felt like something was pushing down on the left side of my head, and also my left ear would occasionally flicker. This has really worried me now, does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Is till feel like ti today, although it's not as bad, but my lfeft side of y head just feels weighted down, and I've never had anything like this before.

ah

Please respond back to this. My symptoms are pretty much dead on. Have you gotten a MRI or anything? What was wrong?

Did u find out what it was?

Hi Dan,
    I have the same symptoms that you have mensioned and I'm affraid to get an MRI. I was wondering what your results were From your MRI.

Thank you

My doctor also isn't taking it seriously . He said it's a migrain that will go away. But I've had swelling in my head for the last 6 years and I feel that it's getting worse. New bumps r begining to give me more pressure. Doctor thinks I'm too young for an MRI and that it's too much radiation for my age. My left ear also flickers, i have so much pressure in my head. It feels like my skulls about to crack. It's so scary. Does anyone know what else this could be? Something other then a tumor?

Thanx

Regular User
    Hi. I think you should insist it be taken very seriously.
    My brain tumour was on front right temporal lobe. It was misdiagnosed by two general Practitioners AND an opthalmologist.I almost died because it went undiagnosed for so long.
    I had the same symptoms you describe. My right eye, the eye on the same side as the tumour, has been permanently damaged. My left eye is fine.So the *reverse side* effect does not always happen.
    Any unusual disturbances in the head should be scanned by MRI in my honest opinion.
    Good wishes to you.
    Feather

Newbie New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Son View Post
    My doctor also isn't taking it seriously . He said it's a migrain that will go away. But I've had swelling in my head for the last 6 years and I feel that it's getting worse. New bumps r begining to give me more pressure. Doctor thinks I'm too young for an MRI and that it's too much radiation for my age. - Can I please point out, that a MRI does not use radiation. There is no risk, unless you have metal devices implanted inside you. My left ear also flickers, i have so much pressure in my head. It feels like my skulls about to crack. It's so scary. Does anyone know what else this could be? Something other then a tumor?

Thanx
    If you are really that unwell see another doctor that listens to you.

Administrator Top User brainman's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddess36 View Post
    If you are really that unwell see another doctor that listens to you.
    This thread is a very old one (2007) and neither Dan, forwantof or Son have posted since then. Not saying they they will not reply but I would not hold my breath.
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

Newbie New User

Hey dan

Im now 15 and i have 4 knots on the left side of my head that hurt really bad. I have migraines and they went down a little since i got over being sick and all but their still there. Im scared it will be something else something i dont want. I don't know what to do about them im scared to go to the doctor again. i havent read all the things but could you please help tell me what i should do ?

Newbie New User
    I have just nodice that i have a lump on the back of my head i have been having headache and a sore neck for the past few weeks.

Super Moderator Top User
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel J View Post
    I have just nodice that i have a lump on the back of my head i have been having headache and a sore neck for the past few weeks.
    A lump on the head is not a symptom of a brain tumor.

Hi Brainman,

It's been so long. I was googling my symptoms again and I ran across Son, and then I was like "hey that's me" lol. I've still been having the same problems. Lumps bigger then it ever was. Alot I pressure . Keep making appointments and not going . Very scared of having to get my head cut open. Anyways. Thank u for the reply. I will hopefully grow the courage to get a MRI soon.

Moderator Senior User
    Hi son.

One part of me is saying that if you've been worrying about the same symptoms for 8 years it's probably nothing important, though I don't know.

Another part of me is saying that even if it nothing you'd probably feel a lot better knowing that it is nothing.

And yet another part of me is saying that if it is something it is going to need treatment pretty dam soon, and that dying of what is in effect cowardice would be a pretty shitty way to die.

Get tested! Nothing to lose except the price of a test perhaps, lots to gain, particularly the prospect of getting a life not dominated by a fear that is probably groundless anyway.

David

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GBMsibling View Post
    A lump on the head is not a symptom of a brain tumor.
    I will reiterate that

A lump on the head is NOT a sign of brain cancer
    Age 57
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620
    RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... NEVER GIVE UP
    RULE NUMBER 3..... Don't forget the first 2 rules

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

+ Reply to Thread