A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you get treated for cancer without insurance up front

How do you get treated for cancer without insurance up front

I am sure I have black mole cancer. I have not been able to get into a doctor because I have no insurance. That is one of the things they ask you on the phone when trying to make an appointment.
    I have no money. Nothing. Do people in America just DIE when they have no health insurance? I have tried to get insurance, but there is a 6 month waiting period. I do not have 6 months to wait. I have waited too long the way it is.
    Anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate it. Thank.

Senior User

Talk to the hospital social worker - now

You need to do this through your hospital of choice. Call the information number and ask to speak to one of the social workers. They can move certain mountains with some difficulty, simply because the hospitals find it in their best interest not to turn down hardship cases. The social workers are there to help you.

One more thing. If you are near a teaching hospital, do it there. They seem to have the best resources.

It should be noted that in my state (Alabama) the University of Alabama, Birmingham, hospital works things out on a ability to pay basis. They are also highly rated for cancer treatment. Your state may have similar arrangements.

Best Regards,

Marty
    -------------------------------------------------
    whipple procedure, Oct. 21, 2004
    28 days of radiation
    56 days of Chemo using Xeloda
    diagnosed as progressive recurrent pancreatic adenocarcinoma (Stage IV) Jun. 20, 2006
    was treated with gemcitabine, oxaliplatin, and tarceva, which all failed.
    Cancer blog: http://diehlmartin.com/cancer.html

Regular User

Re: How do you get treated for cancer without insurance up f

Quote Originally Posted by debi73
    I am sure I have black mole cancer. I have not been able to get into a doctor because I have no insurance. That is one of the things they ask you on the phone when trying to make an appointment.
    I have no money. Nothing. Do people in America just DIE when they have no health insurance? I have tried to get insurance, but there is a 6 month waiting period. I do not have 6 months to wait. I have waited too long the way it is.
    Anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate it. Thank.
    I believe that in most if not all states there is a medical program called Medicaid (not Medicare) for those who are unable to afford insurance. It is supported at least in part by Federal funding.

I suggest that Debi check her state's website or telephone listing for further guidance.

Regards,

Steve J

No insurance.

I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma in June 2004. I had no insurance, either. I did not qualify for Medicaid or Medicare, or any other kind of government assistance. I still owe about $2,000.00 or so, but most doctors are very good about helping you out by either setting up a payment plan or writing it off all together.

If you suspect you might have cancer, get checked out. I know you may not have much money, but if you tell them you have no insurance, most doctors are really really good about helping you out. One thing I learned, however, is that it is illegal for a doctor to assist you until you ask first. Sometimes you have to jump through hoops in order to get financial assistance, and it is a pain to do, but it's worth it. So far in my case, the hospital has written off about $60,000.00. That's $60,000.00 that I did not have and would probably never be able to pay off had they not done that.

However, your health is more important than the money. Remember that. No matter how much money treatment may cost, you cannot quantify your health. There are things you can do; payment plans you can slowly pay off. Heck, you could file for bankruptcy and be perfectly justified in doing so.

But go to the doctor. And worry about the money later.

Regular User

medical college hospital

Hi,

Medical College Hospitals are good for you. In exchange to your treatment you will be shown as a case for students to examine and learn.

Also no one but a histologist can say if your mole is cancerous. So please do not panic and ruch to a medical college hospital.
    Dr. Mateen provides hope,help and support to Mesothelioma Victims and shares his knowledge at his site www.mesothelioma-cancer-guide.com.
    Visit http://www.mesothelioma-cancer-guide...-symptoms.html and
    http://www.medical-billing-career-guide.com

No insurance?

I wanted to let you know that when I first was dx, I didn't have insurance, either. I wrote an article about it because I wanted people to know what steps they can take to be treated even without insurance. I moved to a nearby town in November so that I could get care through the county hospital, and that has worked out really well for me. Where do you live?
    Sharing knowledge, hope and humor to fellow survivors.

If you are quite confuse where to get your insurance, why don't visit http://www.oneshopinsurance.com they will help you find the best insurance company just for you..
    Have a nice visit.... and feel free to search.

Experienced User
    It's shameful that in the land of the free so many people have to jump through hoops just to stay healthy and alive--and it can be darned hard to jump when you're sick, tired, broke and scared! I survived cancer without insurance (it can be done!) though my finances did not. There are doctors out there who can help you and I hope you find them. "Keep your chin up" sounds like hollow advice to someone facing the kind of challenges you are facing but the fact that you're reaching out with questions means you're that much closer to finding the answers and the care you need. Bless you in your search.

We really need to tell our congressmen that we're fed up with a system that's transformed health from a right to a consumer commodity.
    Richard Day Gore

im from switzerland and here you MUST have an health insurance. its the law! and god thanks i had one back in 2001
    Survived NHL Mediastinal High Grad Stage II B in 2001

New User
    Debi,

I hope all is well, as it was back in 2005 when you left your message.

I am curious though, as to why you have been told it would take 6 months to get insurance.

Unless it is a state law, the waiting period, it would be retro-active back to the day you applied, should you be accepted.

+ Reply to Thread