A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mom has Stage IV, spread to brain

Mom has Stage IV, spread to brain

My mom, age 59 has had Stage IV lung cancer for the past two and a half years. She did amazing with chemo and radiation, and had a full life for 2 years. Back in March several tumors on the brain were found. She has since had full brain radiation, followed by radiosurgery.

Her condition has completely deteriorated. We were only told she would have fatige and some short term memory loss. My mom, is no longer my mom anymore. It's like her brain is fried. She has very little emotion, and a complete personality change. She doesn't talk, she hallucinates and forgets everything I tell her. She is often confused and has even thought my dad, who passed away, is still alive. The doctors never told us to expect this. She goes for a follow-up next week, although her primary dr. seems to think this all might be psychological, since it looks like there is no swelling and the tumors have actually shrunk. My gut tells me it's not psychological. I feel like dementia is setting in. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Regular User
    Srh688,

Just want you to know that I am thinking of you at this difficult time. My Dad(age55) was just diagnosed with stage 3a non small cell cancer 3 wks ago from today. We have been told it can not be removed as it has spread outside the lung and around the ribcage, and he is too weak for chemo. They are giving him 12 days radiotherapy to ease the pain but apart from that he is just on huge amounts of morphine and lots of other dif tablets. I cannot say I know much about this, beacause all I kno is what I have read on the internet or heard from dif docs in the last couple of weeks, but I just want you to know that I am thinking of you and praying for your mum, and if you ever need to talk please send me a mail. Take care and I will speak to you soon.

Dawn(Ireland)

Mom has Stage IV, w/ brain Met.

Hi Dawn,
    Thanks for your message. It is all so overwhelming, but I appreciate your response. My heart and prayers go out to your dad and your family. As the healthy one, you always have to be strong, but sometimes you need someone to lean on as well. Make sure you take care of yourself!

Hi Srh,

My brother in law had surgery for one brain tumor and radiation for the other two. He was not the same for quite awhile, said a lot of wrong things, but he did come back.

My friend had spot radiation and WBR. The docs told her that the effects of the WBR could pop-up months down the road where she would lose memory, be confused, etc.

I hope this is just a passing thing for your Mom as everything else sounds good.

Best wishes,
    PBJ

+ Reply to Thread