A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to expect with Biopsy for Pancreas tumor

New User

What to expect with Biopsy for Pancreas tumor

I am going to have an Endoscopic Ultrasound with Fine needle Aspiration or EUS,for biopsy of my pancreas head. Has anyone had this test before?What is it like and how long does it take to get the results back. Also, is this the only way to confirm you have pancreatic cancer. I have had 3 CTS all stating I have it and now they want this test. I am scheduled for August 30. Thanks

Experienced User
    Hello -- You need all the diagnostic tests you can find. The key to treatment of pancreatic cancer is to identify the size and location early so that if surgery is possible it can be done quickly. Push your doctors to get these tests done now so you can make correct treatment choices.

I'm glad you found Freeio's site -- there is much useful inforation here and we all have followed his story with great hope.

You made an earlier reference to your name. What does it stand for?

Please know we are all thinking of you now.

Big Sister

New User

Follow up testing

Thank you for the info. I am still in alot of discomfort with problems nausea and diarrhea. I am going to wait for the EUS. I am also going to call UVA a center of Excelence in my area for a Second opinion. They are also a larger Cancer Center.

Also Big Sister mentioned what my Username means. FTHINU stands for Faith in Heavenly Father always and forever. I am always in his care and he has an plan for me. I also joke that I have Faith in my Daugher so when she see this she keeps a positive outlook on life and I hope others too.

Thanks

Experienced User
    Hi,
    I've only got a second but didn't want to let anymore time go by before responding.
    My husband, Sam, had his EUS/FNA at UVA and received his results in recovery. Sam told me the test was pretty much a non-event in his book. Keep in mind he had been scanned and scoped pretty thoroughly prior to this test. I remember we stopped at a Cuban restaurant in Richmond on the way home- that same day.
    While at UVA, we were fortunate to work with Donna W. Markey, RN MSN ACNP Nurse Practitioner, GI Oncology. We found Donna, who works with Dr. Wheedum, to be compassionate and interested in every detail of our story. From her attitude I decided to share things on this forum I may not have otherwise. Donna's take on things was that we never know what connection will lead to early detection.
    Some come here for support, some to vent, some to educate, some to learn. I have found a healthy dose of all of the above.
    I hope hearing of Sam's easy time with the EUS/FNA helps you. My thoughts will be with you. Peace, Reenie

Experienced User
    Sorry, I forgot one thing about the test and the need for it...
    We were told that it is sometimes easier to get approval for certain drugs with a definitive dx. Sam's dx was "metastatic suggesting pancreatic" until the FNA confirmed things. Hope this helps. R

Senior User

endoscope biopsy

I had that exact test nearly three years go. One of the drugs they typically administer through an IV during the test is called "Versed" and it has the practical effect of making you concious enough to cooperate with the test, but shuts down the short term memory so that you will not remember what took place. So it may have been easy or difficult, and I could not tell you, because I cannot remember it.

In my case, because the test was done at a big cancer center, they had the results of the biopsy before I could get my street clothes back on. They did not find any cancer during that test, but it turned out that there was cancer but not where they were looking.

Marty
    -------------------------------------------------
    whipple procedure, Oct. 21, 2004
    28 days of radiation
    56 days of Chemo using Xeloda
    diagnosed as progressive recurrent pancreatic adenocarcinoma (Stage IV) Jun. 20, 2006
    was treated with gemcitabine, oxaliplatin, and tarceva, which all failed.
    Cancer blog: http://diehlmartin.com/cancer.html

Regular User
    I also had that test on 12-5-2005. I do not remember much about it. The Biopsy could not rule in or out that I had PC. The conclusion was regardless, to have the Whipple. That was performed 12-16-2005 in New Orelans and I did have Stage 2 PC. All my procedures were performed quickly after being admitted to the Hospital on 12-3-2005. I really feel that in my case taking care of the problem early allows me to be here today. My prayers will be with you.

Ken

+ Reply to Thread