A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sex & psa

sex & psa

My psa #s have been all over the place ranging from 1.8 to 4.1
    I have no symptons of prostate cancer and had a biopsy 4 years which came back negative. During my annual checkup during the DRE portion
    the doc said my prostate was larger on one side and my psa number doubled over last year. I've been more sexually active lately and am wondering if the enlargement is due to increased sexual activity.
    Is it true that increased testosterone is like putting gas on an open fire when it comes to prostate cancer...i.e. the numbers go up.
    Does this mean in order to keep the numbers down and reduce the prostate I should cut back on sex? I'm 58, 145, and in excellent health, low cholesterol numbers, no family history etc., but these psa numbers and enlargement have me freaked out. any ideas?

Regular User

Re: sex & psa

Quote Originally Posted by me
    My psa #s have been all over the place ranging from 1.8 to 4.1
    >I have no symptons of prostate cancer and had a biopsy 4 years which >came back negative. During my annual checkup during the DRE portion
    >the doc said my prostate was larger on one side and my psa number >doubled over last year.

PSA doubling time of just a year is cause for concern.

I suspect that there is a nodule on one side of the prostate, which would be what the medic refers to.

Another biopsy is in order.

>I've been more sexually active lately and am wondering if the >enlargement is due to increased sexual activity.

Unlikely to the point of impossible, IMO.

>Is it true that increased testosterone is like putting gas on an open fire >when it comes to prostate cancer...i.e. the numbers go up.

What numbers? It is true that testosterone tends to encourage the growth of PCa cells.

>Does this mean in order to keep the numbers down and reduce the >prostate I should cut back on sex?

I don't believe that sexual activity has anything to do with PCa.

I'm 58, 145, and in excellent health, low cholesterol numbers, no family history etc., but these psa numbers and enlargement have me freaked out. any ideas?
    Yes. Have another biopsy.

Regards,

Steve J

thanks for your reply....
    did the biopsy
    oh happy day
    benign
    NO CANCER

PSA and sex

Just a FYI - Urologist told us... No sex the night before as it "can" lower the psa results....

Regular User

Sex & PSA

thanks for your reply....
    did the biopsy
    oh happy day
    benign
    NO CANCER
    Good for you!

Just keep on having PSA and DRE tests each year.

Regards,

Steve J

Regular User

Re: PSA and sex

Quote Originally Posted by sherylloper
    Just a FYI - Urologist told us... No sex the night before as it "can" lower the psa results....
    Um, that would be *increase* the PSA score. If the uro really said "lower", he's dangerously ignorant.

To be on the safe side, I'd recommend 48 hours. C'mon, you can do it

And avoid anything else that could stress the prostate. This includes a DRE, biopsy, even, some say, bike riding.

Huh?
    NO SEX the night before "can" raise PSA #s?
    But abstaining 48 hours "can" lower #s?
    Dazed and confused?

Regular User

sex & PSA

Huh?
    NO SEX the night before "can" raise PSA #s?
    But abstaining 48 hours "can" lower #s?
    Dazed and confused?
    Nope.

Just saying that it's best to avoid any activity that stresses the prostate -- including slap & tickle -- for 48 hours prior to the blood draw.

Any such stress will temporarily *increase* the PSA score.

Now, quit trying to weasel out; you *can* do it if you try

Regards,

Steve J

Experienced User

sex and psa

sex the night before the psa test can increase the psa reading. usually urologists will ask patients not to have sexual relationship the night before the test.
    sex will not have long term effect on prostate cancer, actually, it may reduce the chance according to a recent study.

Jay

Dr. Jay Lu
    Diplomate, American Board of Radiology (Radiation Oncology)

Banned New User

Re: sex and psa

[quote="hhmv73a"]sex the night before the psa test can increase the psa reading. usually urologists will ask patients not to have sexual relationship the night before the test.
    sex will not have long term effect on prostate cancer, actually, it may reduce the chance according to a recent study.

Would you kindly provide the citation for that study. Thx.

+ Reply to Thread