A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: eyesight

Senior User

eyesight

Can chemotherapy affect eyesight? Just curious...my eyesight seems to have gotten worse since I started on chemo. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and have my eyes checked or wait til I'm finished with chemo.
    Shelly
    Dx Nov 1, 2004 at 40 y/o
    Right MRM, Left Simple Mast. - 12/9/04
    Stage 2A IDC -
    Primary tumor 1cm
    3+ / 14 nodes, ER/PR+, HER2-
    34 rads - finished 5/25
    chemo - AC and Taxol FINISHED 7/6/05
    beginning reconstruction 2/06
    brain mets 4/06 - now stage 4

Regular User

eyesight

I didn't have any significant eyesight problems during chemo, but have read several posts on different boards from those who have and it seems most think it's a good idea to wait until a few months after chemo to see where your vision will stablilize before spending big bucks on new glasses. I'm sure others with more reliable input will reply also!!

Meanwhile, Good luck with your continued treatments!
    God Bless, Di

IDC 12/03 at age 55
    lumpectomy, SNB 12/18/03
    2cm tumor, 1/6+node, stage 2, grade 2 er/pr+ her2nu-
    4 AC, 4 taxol, dose dense
    33 rads
    Arimidex started 7/04

Top User
    Hi,
    A friend of mine and I were talking today about the same thing. Both of us have noticed a different in our vision. I've always had 20/20 vision and I've notice that things seem blurry at times, especially up close. I know the print has gotten smaller in things like the t.v. guide etc., but I really have to get some things in just the right light to be able to read it. It will be 3 years in June since I've had chemo and it's not gotten any better. I'm going to get my eyes checked as soon as I can have a few months of a break for docs.....ugh My onco is Monday and my general surgeon is May 1 and dentist inbetween. I think my rads onco is in April. Right now I'm going to get through Monday, go to Talladega and escape reality and then back to the doctors...... The one thing I can say about this disease, is once we have it, we don't get blown off and everything chalked up to be stress. Some of course is, but it's nice to know that someone takes you seriously now.
    Hugs
    Nancy
    Nancy
    2/14/02 ILC 43 - 5.5 cm 9+/16 nodes
    Stage IIIA er/pr+ Her2-
    2/02 MRM
    FECx6 radsx33
    Tamoxifen - Arimidex (chemo induced menopause)
    4/03 SM w/bilat. recon.
    9/03 expanders removed
    5/04 repair reconst. disaster
    10/04 Actonel for bone/joint pain from Arimidex
    NED - 5 years
    3/07 Diabetes
    In memory of Kim 12/1/04

I notice my eyesight was worse after chemo. I don't know if it was from the chemo or not, but it took me TWO years to finally find out that I had "waterdroplet cataracts" that were causing my difficulty is focusing.

I had the cataract surgery for that and it was a wonderful thing to have clarity again!!!

Hugs,

Judi
    God gives every bird its food,
    But He does not throw it into its nest.

MRM 5/98 - Stage IIB, 7 nodes affected, saline implant, A/C & Taxol, Radiation, ER- PR+, no tamox - tram flap - 6 year survivor

I notice my eyesight was worse after chemo. I don't know if it was from the chemo or not, but it took me TWO years to finally find out that I had "waterdroplet cataracts" that were causing my difficulty is focusing.

I had the cataract surgery for that and it was a wonderful thing to have clarity again!!!

Hugs,

Judi
    God gives every bird its food,
    But He does not throw it into its nest.

MRM 5/98 - Stage IIB, 7 nodes affected, saline implant, A/C & Taxol, Radiation, ER- PR+, no tamox - tram flap - 6 year survivor

Experienced User
    Hi, Shelley: I have had blurry eyesight as well since chemo. I thought it was just my eyesight getting worse but during my weekly visits with the radiologist to do bloodwork, etc the radiologist asked if I had noticed any difference in my eyesight. I told her I had but just figured I was due for another exam and my eyes were getting worse. She told me that often chemo has an effect on eyesight and can make them blurry. She advised me not to do anything now but to wait until my radiation was completed and my next round of chem which is to begin in March and end beginning of June. She said it would then take several months for it to improve after that. She said she has known of women who get their prescription changed soon after chemo only to have the prescription changed again several months later when eyesight improved. I had never seen that as a side effect of chemo but evidently it can be a common problem. Hope that helps.

Marion
    Dx 10/14/04
    lumpectomy 10/26
    1.6 cm
    Stage IIA
    SN biopsy 10/29
    1/14 nodes +
    4 A/C
    30 Rads
    Taxotere complete
    Tamoxifen for 5 years

Senior User

Me Tooooo!!!!

Oh my gosh! I've been telling my Husband for over a year now that my eyesight wasn't as good as it used to be.Jan. of 04 was my last treatment,it had gotten to the point that I couldn't read the menu screen on the TV much less read what anything was about.My daughter or husband would have to read it for me -it was soooo blurry,I would get so aggravated that I would get up and stand in front of the TV so I wouldn't bother everybody else ,like they could see through me-ha ha!
    I finally two weeks ago while my daughter was getting her annual exam I ask if he could see me too.Results - near sighted.Man I feel so dumb I have this antique mirror ,it has this hazy hue to it ,right ,well it's not quite as bad as I thought now that I have my new glasses- Wow I 'm still amazed with these new things,I'll look at something then pull the glasses down and put 'em back everything is so much clearer,I can even see where I need to dust Guess there's no more excuses huh.
    I still think it was the chemo ,I had 20/20 before it.This is the first time I've seen anyone post on the subject.Everyone kept telling me aw your just getting older-ah ha! Maybe --maybe not.
    Glad I'm not the only one----Thanks You Guys.Keep 'em posting!
    Sue
    Age-48
    DX-8/29/2003
    Stage 1 - ER/PR-,HER2-NU+3
    Infilterating Ductal Carcinoma,Grade 3.
    Modified Radical Mastectomy/Left-side
    4 Rounds of A/C-completed 1/2004

Top User
    HI Sue,
    We aren't getting older and we're just about the same age. Print is getting smaller...... LOL
    I'm calling to make an appt. with my eye doctor. I can't believe that chemo doesn't or can't affect your eye sight since I didn't start having problems until then. Some print, like the t.v. has gotten smaller. Maybe the eye docs and the publishers are into together on a conspiracy.........LOLOL
    Nancy
    Stage IIIA er/pr+ Her2-
    2/02 MRM
    FECx6 radsx33
    4/03 SM w/bilat. recon.
    9/03 expanders removed
    NED - 5 years
    3/07 Diabetes
    In memory of Kim 12/1/04

Senior User
    Book publishers and computer manufacturers are also in on the conspiracy.

Truthfully though, I called my opthamologist...my eyes were bad to begin with but have gotten so much worse, it's hard to read. And I love to read!! Anyway, my eye doc said that chemo could definately affect eyesight. He told me not to get new glasses during my treatment but to wait about 3-4 months after I finish because it's likely my eyesight will change after I'm done...probably back to like it was before I started or close to it. So anyway, I spend many nights trying to decipher the blurry words in my book...Oh well...
    Shelly
    Dx Nov 1, 2004 at 40 y/o
    Right MRM, Left Simple Mast. - 12/9/04
    Stage 2A IDC -
    Primary tumor 1cm
    3+ / 14 nodes, ER/PR+, HER2-
    34 rads - finished 5/25
    chemo - AC and Taxol FINISHED 7/6/05
    beginning reconstruction 2/06
    brain mets 4/06 - now stage 4

Top User
    Hi Shelly,
    I hope yours does get better. It's been 3 years since chemo for me and mine hasn't. Of course my mind is going places I don't want it to go as far as why my eyesight is giving me problems when I've never needed glasses. SIGH
    Nancy
    Stage IIIA er/pr+ Her2-
    2/02 MRM
    FECx6 radsx33
    4/03 SM w/bilat. recon.
    9/03 expanders removed
    NED - 5 years
    3/07 Diabetes
    In memory of Kim 12/1/04

Senior User

Informed consent

My eyesight was better than 20/20 prior to chemo. In target practice I was a crack shot. I can no longer read the news ribbon at the bottom of the TV screen from 8 feet away. Chemo is dehydrating to the tissues and I believe the "older" you are in terms of your own genetic menopausal state the less likely it is that the change in vision will be temporary.

Sadly, it is just one more "side effect" no one thinks is important enough to us to tell us prior to treatment so that we are better prepared to deal with it when it happens.

AlaskaAngel

New User
    I was curious about my eyesight and its deterioration during my last round of chemo which lasted 8 months. Using my own brand of logic my thinking was that if everything else in my body had dehydrated why not my brain and therefore the visual cortex (my term) so I decided to wait until a few months had past before getting my eyes checked as I was loathed to go the glasses route (20/20 before). Whilst talking with my acupuncturist she told me that the eyes deteriorate when the liver is overworked, tired or just not functioning well. So had my first treatment today, if I get improvement I will post the result, but even if I don't it doesn't hurt to have the liver stimulated. Afterall it had the hell knocked out of it with all those toxins. Good luck to all. Heather
    three time survivor of Breast Cancer, mets to ovaries and liver. On Aromasin, took tamoxafin for five years. Ardent believer in complimentary medicines, they saved my life, literally.

Regular User
    My eyesight --previously perfect -- has also been effected by chemo. It seems to be worse when I am tired. Some evenings I can't even see the food on my dinner plate, and reading a book has become almost impossible. I am certain that it is from the chemo.

?> Is it worth waiting until after radiation is over to see the eye doctor to get glasses?
    Mary, age 43 at diagnosis - Jan 05
    Invasive ductal carcinoma Stage II
    1.3cm tumor; lumpectomy Feb 05
    pos nodes (2 of 13) er+ pr+ Her2-
    AC + Taxol (completed June 05)
    33 Rads (completed Sept 05)
    No hormonal therapy (ever)

New User
    Follow up to my note of yesterday. I spoke to my oncologist today he states maybe the chemo would dry up eye fluids, and that the supporting meds to chemo can cause premature cateracts or make them advance if you had them before, but he states that chemo as such does not to his knowledge "cause" eye sight to deteriorate. But he recommended I wait (I finished chemo in May) until November time to see the optician to allow time for eye fluids to return to "normal". Once again I reiterate the connection with eye sight and liver toxicity, so to my thinking make the liver functions improve and this would enhance the chances of the eye sight stabilizing. Just a thought. Heather
    three time survivor of Breast Cancer, mets to ovaries and liver. On Aromasin, took tamoxafin for five years. Ardent believer in complimentary medicines, they saved my life, literally.

Banned New User
    I found this:

http://medscimonit.com/pub/vol_11/no_6/6460.pdf

I found good information in one link of next site, but I can't remember now:

http://homepage.mac.com/penagoscorzo...st/breast.html

Maybe you can find it.

I think...

Chemo targets cancer cells by slowing/preventing cell division. I think that you may experience temporary vision deficit b/c your retinal cells aren't being replenished enough due to chemo.

Chemo is deffinitely not fun.

Regular User
    I am now three months past chemo, and though I still have many symptoms, I do notice that my eyesight is improving! I can read again!! I am so happy about this. I freaked out about it, and went to get new glasses before radiation was over, and now I find that they're too strong.

don't despair, your eyesight can improve again! I'm proof.
    Mary, age 43 at diagnosis - Jan 05
    Invasive ductal carcinoma Stage II
    1.3cm tumor; lumpectomy Feb 05
    pos nodes (2 of 13) er+ pr+ Her2-
    AC + Taxol (completed June 05)
    33 Rads (completed Sept 05)
    No hormonal therapy (ever)

+ Reply to Thread