A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: after a cone biopsy

after a cone biopsy

hello all.

i just got the pleasant news that i have to have a cone biopsy.
    i have had 2 years of abnormal paps. no cancer yet, but after a cauterizing procedure last year i still have abnormal results.
    yeah me.

anyways, i was surpised at the ob/gyn with the whole 'biopsy' thing the other day.

after looking into it a bit i have a few questions...

1- how was your sex life afterwards?
    2- did your periods get worse afterwards?
    3- do you get good results (everything taken)?
    4- how many of you had to have more surgery afterwards?

i'm a bit concerned about all this, especially since my mom had cervical cancer and a full hystorectomy in her 30's and i'm 38.

thanks for your help.

michele

Moderator Top User
    Hi Michele,

Firstly- damn for you, but hey, could be worse.....(don't you just hate when people say that. :P )

Secondly- Boy, Have you come to the right place. (been there done that)

To Answer your questions: A cone biopsy is not the end of the world- though at the moment it feels like it- i know.
    What they did for me- which might be different for you- They knocked me out, day surgury. They got this instrument that takes a section out of your cervix and area. it looks like a icecream cone- (you'll never look at a triple chocolate cone, the same again.) In my case. They took ALL the cervix. the glands, the neck of my utrus as well. (i was booked for a hysterectomy, I had cancer)

The surgury ittself was ok, woke up with the usual groggyness, sick feeling. I noticed a hot/warm sensation- sligh burn feeling. But that was it. The pumped me full of pain meds and locals in the area. I had some cramping a few hours after for 3 days or so. The blood was minimal, alot like the start or end of period. (but this is different for each person) I bled for about a week i think- on/off.

My periods were the same- a little heavier that first time after opp though. But nothing that noticble.

Sex- life- well i was really really nervous and it was a little uncomfortable to begin with- first-2nd time, Though my husband was very slow and loving. (alot of mind over matter i think- a little wineing and dinning (relax you0
    Because of the "scaring" tissue, it made me quite tight, and new again. (born again virgin)- well if you can't laugh at something then whats the point. right?.

I now have to have regular pap smears all the time, and take note of any unusual things with my body...see Dr's regular. Other than that, try to get on with life and enjoy.

I think because of your mum, and now this, It's a great idea to have done- at least piece of mind and to make sure, tested for anything unusual

Read "my story" in my link in my sinature at the bottom. It might help you, or at least i hope this did ^

Good luck- feel free to Pm, me or right in my thread. Inica
    Thinking of you Inica

~Nose Cancer~
    ~Car Accident- Broken Back, Ribs, Spleen
    Sternum~
    ~Continous Cervical Cancer~

My Story-
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=6731

9 Lives and still kicking

Regular User
    I just had this done about a week & half ago... My surgery went okay. I was crampy and a bit uncomfortable... but I just took tylenol. After about 4 days I had to go back into the hospital because I was bleeding so bad. They put more stitches in I guess, and for now I'm still spotting a bit & crampy... but it's not very bad. Anyhow, I was wondering about the sex life afterwards too... Hopefully I'll have the same results as Inica

Moderator Top User
    good wine always helps....Ooo and the jewllery, oh, and did i say chocolates??

Seriously- take it easy, and relax. take it a step at a time. (1 - out of 10- they say it's better than before. But there shouldn't be any pain or discomfort after/ IF ANY. after the first time..... If there is then check it out- They should have also gave you a don't touch time- no sex till.....

Drove the Husband batty- but just think- what can you get out of it...sly i know.
    Thinking of you Inica

~Nose Cancer~
    ~Car Accident- Broken Back, Ribs, Spleen
    Sternum~
    ~Continous Cervical Cancer~

My Story-
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=6731

9 Lives and still kicking

+ Reply to Thread