A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others

View Poll Results: People who have been diagnosed with Lymphoma, what did your lumps feel like in the beginning?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • A) firm and painless

1 33.33%
  • b) moveable and tender

0 0%
  • c) firm and tender

0 0%
  • d) moveable and painless

2 66.67%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: lump on neck. firm vs squishy/moveable.. tender vs. painless

New User

lump on neck. firm vs squishy/moveable.. tender vs. painless

22/f. I posted a question earlier and recieved only one response. I will post a different question this time and hope there are more people than just Brainman that are educated enough to answer. ( And you dont even have to be educated.. anyone who has had or is experiencing something similar.. feel free to respond!)

the lump is on the right side of my neck. It is firm/ not moveable, marble sized, not really painful, very noticeable.

question.. are there certain characteristics for the lump to have that would make it more obvious as to what the lump is. Like with Lymphoma.. are most of the lumps found firm or are some palapable. Are most of the lumps painless, or are some tender.

Or is this just something that differs from person to person and where the lump is found.

- Ive had this lump 4 days now, havent scheduled an appt with a doctor, as I'm waiting for it to just hopefully dissapear, or grow in size.. something that would be an indicator that I need to see a dctr. I hate making a mountain out of a molehill. Believe me, I was the laughing stock of the whole L&D floor when I had 3 false alarms. Even though this isnt necessarily the same thing, it's not something I want to experience again.

Another thing.. I just gave birth 3.5 months ago, Ive had my bloodwork done numerous times, wouldnt they have been able to pick up on something like this then if it were in fact, lyphoma?

How long does it take for the symptom of a lump to show, after the cancer has struck..?

If it is Lymphoma, does the sign of a lump mean that its in the very early stages.. or is it possible that you had this disease a long time and it took several months for the symptom of a lump to show up.

New User
    I haven't been diagnosed with anything yet, actually I go tomorrow to my doctor to see what he has to saw. But, I have a lump on the right side of my neck/collarbone area. Had it for about 3 months, painless, firm, and not really getting smaller or bigger.

Went to doctor, got xray, bloodwork, cat scan. They sent me to surgeon. He did a needle biopsy, but couldn't determine anything.

Had an open biopsy done on 4/1 and that is what I am awaiting the results of.

Everything I read leads to Hodgkins or some type of Lymphoma, but I pray for the best.

My thread is actual just above yours, if you have any insight.

thanks, ejjones55

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi lacyma03

First off Don't panic. From what you describe A doctor would probably want to just leave it for a while to see what will happen. Its called watch and wait and the reason for this is that lumpy lymph glands are very common but Lymphoma is not. After the wait then the doctor, if he/she thinks its warranted, will probably order a biopsy of the gland that is swollen. Blood tests are not good at detecting lymphoma, in fact they are next to useless as are all the other tests at this point. The only thing that will give you certainty is a biopsy.

You seem to have made up your mind that you have cancer already. Nothing I read in your post tells me that. If your Doctor does not seem concerned then you should not be either.

Good luck
    Age 58
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi ejjones55

Well you would have had your results by now. I hope they were good. If not Don't panic , cancer is a word and not a sentence. The Treatments for all types of Lymphoma are great and very successful so there is lots and lots of hope

Cheers and good luck
    Age 58
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

+ Reply to Thread