A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Info: Pleural-Based Nodule in the Lung

Need Info: Pleural-Based Nodule in the Lung

Hello,

My name is Teresa, and I want to thank you in advance for replying to my question. Last week I went into the Emergency Room for a 3 day long headache, and a 3 day long pulsing sensation in my calf. My mom insisted I go get checked for a blood clot cause I'm obese. Anyway, the Dr. did a CAT Scan, and while I had no blood clot he did find a (in his words) ''tiny pleural-based nodule in the posterior of the lower right lung''. The Dr. told me to get a regular doctor (I haven't had one in a while), and to have him check it out, plus he said I should have another CAT scan in 3 months.

I've tried looking up 'pleural based nodule' on google.com, and webmd.com but when I use those words all I get is lung cancer websites or pages. Does this mean that it's a lung cancer I have ? Like, a lung cancer tumor or something? I've learned that Pleural means a thin membrane (or sack?) that surrounds our lungs, and Nodule is a mass of tissue, a tumor, or other things meaning a dense tissue or shadow in an x-ray or scan. But still, I can't find anything on 'Pleural-based nodule in lung' itself. Just what the two words mean seperate from each other.

I'm trying to find out if these nodules are usually 80% a sign of lung cancer (example of percentage or info / statistics), or just anything more about this nodule in my lung. I read somewhere that lung nodules are common, and usually non-cancerous.. but at the same time I also read somewhere else that PLEURAL-BASED nodules are usually a sign of lung cancer because of being in the pleural area. *sighs* Help with learning about this, please??? Thank you, VERY much for any replies.

I'm so sorry that this post is ungoddly long, I really suck at shortening down how much I talk or type. Thank you again. Website links to learn more about this kind of nodule are especially welcomes, info from anyone whose had this nodule, etc. just any info or help at all. *hugs*

Sincerely, Teresa

Basic Medical History: I'm a 34 year old female, 5'3", and 230 lbs. I smoke (2 to 3 packs in 24 hours), I don't drink or do other drugs, I'm usually pretty sedatary, and from 1999-2004 I weighed around 80 lbs. (Yes, 80) I was suffering from a phobia of food making me ill, so I wouldn't eat anything. Obviously I beat the phobia in the last few years, but now I guess I have something new to deal with.

Hi Teresa,

Sorry about this unusual occurrence. What did the doc say about the blood clot? Did he mention whether this nodule was calcified or not? By him telling you to follow up with your regular doctor, I'd say this is the best thing to do. Absolutely the best thing to do.

Don't wait around with question marks in your mind while researching on the net for possibilities. If it is a malignant nodule, then it is early and that's a good thing. More tests will have to be done and they'll probably monitor it for growth. It could be nothing, but don't blow it by not seeing the doctor.

No one here or anywhere on the internet can tell you what this is -- that will require a doctor's opinion. Please follow-up with your doctor.

Best of luck!
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Quote Originally Posted by pbj11
    Hi Teresa,

Sorry about this unusual occurrence. What did the doc say about the blood clot? Did he mention whether this nodule was calcified or not? By him telling you to follow up with your regular doctor, I'd say this is the best thing to do. Absolutely the best thing to do.

Don't wait around with question marks in your mind while researching on the net for possibilities. If it is a malignant nodule, then it is early and that's a good thing. More tests will have to be done and they'll probably monitor it for growth. It could be nothing, but don't blow it by not seeing the doctor.

No one here or anywhere on the internet can tell you what this is -- that will require a doctor's opinion. Please follow-up with your doctor.

Best of luck!
    PBJ
    Thank you, and I am setting up an initial appointment with a new family doctor this week. Get the ball rolling on checking this lung nodule out. Your input helped out with what to expect the Doc to do - and it seemed to match what the few web sites I've found have said to expect. I'm not one at all to ignore going to a doctor, so don't worry I sure will go asap.
    Doc can explain it all to me, if he can't then it's time to find a new doctor.

The ER doctor didn't tell me at the ER room what he saw in the cat scan, he sent me a letter the next day that was handwritten. Plus he sent the radiology or cat scan report which really didn't say much at all. I guess they don't examine things they find out of the norm if it's not what they are looking for. Doc from ER gave me something called a DIMER test, which was a 2.6 which he said put me in a group that -can- have a blood clot. If it had been under 1.? then I would have been in a group that wouldn't have a blood clot. That's why the cat scan after the Dimer blood test. Doc from ER didn't tell me and neither did the cat scan report if the nodule was calcified, what size (as in actually measured - just said 'tiny')..

But I know when an ER doc takes the time to send you a hand written letter that tells you to get your butt to a doc and get this nodule checked out that you better do it. I guess this is where the family doc will answer my questions, you know? Anyway, thanks for your reply and input

Sorry I can't seem to make the quote thingy work >.< *hugs*

Love, Teresa

Hi Teresa,

I'm glad to hear you'll be seeing the doctor and getting down to the bottom of this issue.

I hope for some good news and please keep us posted.

God bless --
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

+ Reply to Thread