A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pain after endometrial biopsy!

Pain after endometrial biopsy!

How long does the pain usually last after an endometrial biopsy???
    Mine was done yesterday and am still hurting today! My Dr. had a hard time finding my cervix due to a large fibroid he said. I hope he didn't "break" something while doing this. Or is it normal to have cramping a day later still?

leigh anne

end. biopsy

i had an endometrial biopsy about 2 years ago - i do remember cramping for about 24 hours afterwards. you'll feel fairly normal again after 2 or 3 days. best wishes for a good result on your biopsy!

New User
    I had the same thing done a couple of weeks ago, and I had cramping for about 4 days....but took Naproxin Sodium (550 mg Aleve) for it and it helped, because it not only helped the pain, but it was also an anti inflamitory. It will be better soon sweetie...I feel your pain.
    Newly diagnosed stage 1 endometrial cancer, age 34...no children.

New User

Biopsy

Hi Ladies,

I'm not a cancer patient but I did have a endometrial biopsy yesterday and had read you reviews of it.

I just wanted to say it was not that bad. When the doctor takes the sample I did get a shooting pain that I was not prepared for but it only lasted about 3 seconds followed by cramps. The shock of the pain made me dizzy and nauseous. I was ok in about 5 minutes. Drove myself home. I had taken 2 Biscopan plus before so maybe that helped. I had light spotting at first but woke up last night with proper bleeding like a period, not cramps though. Hope it doesnt last long.

Overall its not that bad but take a good pain killer, or even a bit of a sedative so you are more relaxed.

Re: Pain after endometrial biopsy!

Quote Originally Posted by jamierenae
    How long does the pain usually last after an endometrial biopsy???
    Mine was done yesterday and am still hurting today! My Dr. had a hard time finding my cervix due to a large fibroid he said. I hope he didn't "break" something while doing this. Or is it normal to have cramping a day later still?
    I had this done two weeks ago, and it came back positive for uterine cancer. Since this biopsy im bleeding more then ever, and the lower abd pain is always there. Before the biopsy i never had any pain ever!!
    I go for a total rad. hysterectomy on july 7th.. Im freaking out and can hardly get through the day.. they are taking everything, including my lymph nodes and ovaries and cervix and flopiean tubes and uterus..
    Hugz, Karin........

Newbie New User

endometrial biopsy

Quote Originally Posted by karinn63 View Post
    I had this done two weeks ago, and it came back positive for uterine cancer. Since this biopsy im bleeding more then ever, and the lower abd pain is always there. Before the biopsy i never had any pain ever!!
    I go for a total rad. hysterectomy on july 7th.. Im freaking out and can hardly get through the day.. they are taking everything, including my lymph nodes and ovaries and cervix and flopiean tubes and uterus..
    Hugz, Karin........
    I am 54 yrs old post menopausal and found out because I was having slight cramping that my endometrial lining was 7.2 mm. Normal is 3mm. Had ultrasound internal and external and saw very small fibroids, but nothing that would cause pain. Also had blood test CA 125 and other blood test and all are within normal range. I had a endometrial biopsy yesterday and was told I wouldn't know the results for 3 weeks and I don't want to wait that long. I have no bleeding but have pain in my right leg radiating down to my knee. I also have a tilted pelvis that causes pain. My mother had uterine cancer when she was 75 and died a year later from it so I am pretty scared even though my mother had a lot of bleeding off and on. I don't know if this could be uterine cancer or not but it is different than my mom's

Newbie New User
    I agree it isn't that bad but it also depends on the doctor. My doctor told me everything he was going to do and it put me at ease. He gave a shot of lidocaine which I thought was the worst of the pain and it only caused some strong cramping for about 30 seconds and then I was able to relax. I think it is more painful to wait for the results which takes about 3 weeks and I had the endo biopsy yesterday. I am experiencing low back pain that radiates down my right leg but the xray showed a tilted pelvis and I can do exercises to alleviate that pain. I have no spotting or bleeding just 7.2 endometrial lining with some cramping and the leg pain

Regular User
    Hi Sandy2ch,

My Mom just had an endometrial biopsy yesterday and she too is still having some abdominal discomfort the next day as a result. She's 65 yo and her lining was measured at 7mm. They only found this because she was complaining of a pain in her hip/groin area when she walked for a long period or climbed stairs...so they decided to do an ultrasound and discovered the thickened lining. She also has no bleeding. I guess at this point we just have to wait the 3 weeks and hope for the best!

Newbie New User
    I checked this forum for an idea of what to expect before my endo biopsy today. Just left clinic and I want to share my experience also. I would rate the discomfort level very low. My nerves were probably the bigger concern. Only one moment of cramping when she started messing around with the "straw". It triggered what I would consider a mild cramp that eased a little and lasted the remainder of the appt...like the kind of cramp I would get as a teenager. In the car now and little to no pain. Maybe cramps will pick up later, but at this point I feel like doing it again wouldn't put ky anxiety in overdrive. I prepped by taking 600 ibuprofen, and the doc pushed some lidocain in with the "straw".

Biopsy done to check for cause of excessive bleeding.

Moderator Top User
    Hi pdxginni -- Thanks for reviving an old thread on an important topic. I remember worrying a lot before my biopsy because I had read that it can be extremely painful. Fortunately mine just felt like cramps -- just like yours. Not bad at all. I took some ibuprofen before the appointment, but my doctor did not use lidocain. Seems like this test is fine for most women, but for some, it can be quite painful.

Hope everything goes well for you, and that your lab results are clear.
    Endometrial adenocarcinoma
    stage 1 (10% penetration of myometrium), grade 2
    daVinci hysterectomy March 2011
    No further treatment. Feeling great!

Experienced User
    I had biopsy two times, first time i could not get up for 4 hours and then could barely walk; 2nd time i was better. It usually takes 48 hours not to fill any pain but it depends what doctor does, how many areas he covers or how hard he presses on your uterus!

Newbie Regular User

Horrific pain during endometrial biopsy

I can't believe that some women are reporting that they only experienced minimal pain during their endometrial biopsy. They are so lucky. I just had an endometrial biopsy two days ago, and I am still having cramps. For me, the pain I experienced during the biopsy is the worst pain I have ever experienced in my life, other than the pain I felt while in labour with each of my children.

The pain was so horrible that I broke out into a sweat and thought for sure I was going to throw up. My doctor had me lay down for a bit. I had to lay on my right side with my head hung over the garbage can, that's how close I came to vomitting.

The terrible pain while she took the sample did not last long, but in all seriousness it was the most horrid pain I have ever experienced.

Moderator Top User
    Fat_Head -- So sorry to hear of the pain that you experienced. From what I have heard, most women tolerate the endometrial biopsy very well, but those that don't..... well they DON'T. I've heard some say that it is worse than childbirth. In my case, my gyn told me that it was going to feel like bad cramps, and that's exactly what it felt like. I would say the pain was a 2 or 3 on a 10 point scale and it was definitely more like cramping than like being cut or jabbed. It was all over in about 5 minutes. I don't remember having any pain at all the next day. But this can be very different for different women. Some women choose to have a D&C in order to avoid the possibility of pain with this procedure, but a D&C is a much more involved procedure done under anesthesia in a hospital.
    Endometrial adenocarcinoma
    stage 1 (10% penetration of myometrium), grade 2
    daVinci hysterectomy March 2011
    No further treatment. Feeling great!

Ya, they are not pleasant, but I tolerate them well so far. My husband holds my hand and is really supportive....he has been there through it all I take the day off because 1) I have the time and 2) It's just a stressful day mentally for me. I could easilly go to work with the cramping, but nah.. One thing not a lot of people bring up is lifting things.....WOW, I made the mistake of lifting something heavy and also doing abdominal exercises....ouch! I will wait 2 weeks after next time.
    Married my best friend 12/10/11 :
    Hysterscopy with D&C 5/4/12
    Diagnosed with Endometrial Cancer 5/14/12
    160 mg/day of Megace (Progesterone) to see if we can stop the cancer and protect fertility
    D&C, and suspicious freckle removal 10/11/12
    10/19/12 All benign
    12/18/12- Megace decreased from 160 mg to 80
    2/7/13 Benign biopsy
    5/23/13-Benign office biopsy results!
    11/2013 Biopsy - Benign, Megace dose dropped down to 40/day
    1/2014 - My Doctors at OSU thought it would be beneficial to do another D&C to test a larger sample and the results were benign as well. The doctor suggested that I try weaning myself off of the megace in June. I have another biopsy in August, and if that goes well we can start trying for a baby!!!

Newbie New User
    It's nice to see everyone's experience here...well, I'm 44 y/o and have 5 kids, I had my endo biopsy and ultra sound last Friday which is 3 days ago , I was told by the nurse that I'm going to feel some cramping after but I didn't know that I'll be in so much pain. It didn't hurt that bad after the procedure though I was spotting a little bit but I noticed Friday night the cramping so I took 800 mg Ibuprofen it helped and knocked me out. Saturday all day was ok , but night time acted up again. Mild all Sunday morning , then at night the pain got stronger. Monday which is today , all day at work I was going nuts I couldn't take the Ibuprofen of course just Aleve 440 mg but didn't help at all as the day goes by it feels like a "Contractions" getting stronger and stronger so I left work early went to see a doctor , He gave me a Vicodin and told me that it's a blood just waiting to come out and that's why I'm in so much pain. He can't really tell me what's going on till they get back the results 2 weeks from now. The pain is about between scale of 7-8. Just sharing my ordeal... nice to know some of you guys didn't really suffer from this.

Newbie New User

Unhappy Worst Endometrial Biopsy Experience Ever

I just wanted to share my recent experience with an endometrial biopsy.

About 25 years ago I had an abnormal pap smear and they diagnosed me with cervical dysplasia.

The situation was taken care of with laser surgery.

Well I recently found myself a new OB/GYN and we discussed doing the biopsy along with a pap smear to make sure all was well down there. Mind you..I have had an endometrial biopsy before and it was painful but tolerable.

Last Tuesday was the big day. My OB explained everything that was going to happen and I was fine with it. I had also taken a pain pill before going in but that did not seem to help.

The pap was a bit uncomfortable but tolerable. Well here we go.....she numbs me with some lidocane and says I will feel some cramping. OMG cramping is putting it mild. Then she said there was some polyps there that she was going to remove as well. I was sweating, ready to vomit, almost crying asking how much longer this was going to take....she told me to count to 5. After removing all of the instruments I felt like I was going to pass out. They put an ice pack under my neck and had me lie there for about 15 minutes.

I got up, managed to get myself dressed and drove home. It has been 6 days and I am still cramping and having some slight bleeding. I might of made the mistake of lifting/pushing something heavy.....

I will say this....if they find anything abnormal in the test results I want it all out. I am 45, no kids, don't plan on having any and have no use for my uterus !! I may sound crazy but I am so done with dealing with periods, back pain and these tests.

Thanks for letting me ramble......

+ Reply to Thread