A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sweating - Stage Four

Regular User

Sweating - Stage Four

What (if anything) does it mean when a person starts sweating. Dad 81, has Stage 4 (4cm mass and 6 nodules on other lung). Hasn't had biopsy (his decision) thus no treatment. I've known about the mass/nodules since Nov. 07. He usually is cold-natured person but recently complains of sweating. He is on pain medication for back pain (has had long time), oxye and fendryl? patch, lexapor. Is sweating related to the cancer and if so, what does it mean? Thank You

Administrator Top User brainman's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    SharRog, I am very sorry to hear about your father's health issues.

Sweating can be caused by many things. Some cancers can cause sweating but I am not sure about lung cancers. In fact, without a biopsy he cannot be 100% sure that he does have cancer or what type of cancer he has. I can understand his decision not to have a biopsy but it does make it more difficult to assess the cause of new symptoms like your father's excessive sweating.

Make sure your father's own medical team knows about this new development. It might be something else for which there is a treatment or at least an explanation.

You and your father are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

Hi,

Yes, sweating can be related to tumor activity. My husband had huge bouts of sweating prior to his diagnosis and sometimes as he continued on his journey. It can also be from some chemo agents or pain meds too.

I don't know if it means anything other than there is lung cancer present and don't think there's a darn thing to stop them. My husband had sweats mostly at night, but later down the road he also had periods of them in the daytime. He also felt hot and would want a fan blowing on him and he'd feel clammy as all get out.

I don't know it this helped, but sweating was our experience too.

Good luck. Ask the doctor if it means anything beyond what I've described. Go to CancerGrace.org, where Dr. West - an oncologist with a specialty in LC will answer any of your questions.

PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Hello SharRog,
    I also have found my husband having many bouts of sweating. They used to be confided to night sweats and then he started sweating during the day at any time. I had noticed his temperature would go up generally just before he was sick or he had eaten/drinking. During the night there was no apparent reason, I think it is just the disease its self. (The body trying to fight) Perhaps your dads medical team can explain this better it is always good to keep them fully informed of any new developments.
    I noticed from PJB, the site she has mentioned Dr West has helped me in the past, I am sure your answers will be answered from him. God Bless, koik.

Regular User

Sweating - Stage Four

I just wanted to thank all of you for responding and I'm so sorry for what you and your loved ones are going through. These forums are so helpful and good and so many people are so generous with their help and encouragements. My dad is 81 and has had a wonderful life. The only thing that's difficult right now is that he does not know about what his physician told me (he had a CAT scan w/contrast-long story and I called his physician to find out results - that's when he told me about the lung cancer and that he's 85-90% positive. So dad doesn't know - I was told to get him to onocolgist for biopsy but he adamently refused. Anway, he complains about so many different things I get a little crazy with it, go on internet to find out if symptom is related - and of course, just about everything can be related to what he complains about. But for some reason (I guess the length of time he supposedly has had it - 10mm spot in Nov 2006, then CT scan this Nov '07-mass/nodules and now it's June '08. He has had no "real" symptoms (coughing, etc.) or any treatment. And I also didn't think someone could go this long without treatment. So I'm kinda like - what's going on... Sorry, I just started going on and on (as you all know it gets hard and I really have no one to talk to). I DO HOPE you get this email, not sure how this all works if you get notified - I do hope so and I do wish you hope and happiness. Thank you for your kindness.

SharRog
    Its a real shame you cant encourage your dad to have that biopsy! I'm sure you have already mentioned, that if he had the biopsy then the doctors would be able to diagnose him correctly and give him treatment so that he was not suffering, profusely sweating and all the other ailments he happens to complain to you about? Is it worth trying again or most probably he doesn't what to know the results himself?
    I can certainly relate to how frustrating this must be for you. if you knew the results of the biopsy, you would be able to come to terms far easier than guessing with the Ifs and Buts...
    Anyhow we are all here and you can certainly go on and on as you call it, that is what we are all about. Its a great site with a friendly bunch sharing all our experiences and supporting one another. Please update us and chat along when ever you need to. I will keep you and your dad in my prayers, God bless, koik

Shar,

Oh goodness -- that's a shame that your Dad won't go for the biopsy. I can feel your frustration. If it is lung cancer, as the doc's suspect, it can be a type that is well differentiated and growing at a very slow pace. Lung cancer usually doesn't exhibit symptoms in earlier stages -- that's the problem with catching it early. Only when tumors block airways or crush them do people suddenly feel short of breath (SOB). Some people never get SOB. Other people develop a tickle kind of little cough and ignore it until something more begins to happen. Still, in other people it can be a brain met with unusual headaches or behavior or bone mets that hurt. Lung cancer is just such a tricky animal and manifests symptomatically in so many different ways or none at all!

That's why you're going crazy trying to line up symptoms with the disease. The worst of it is that he never even had a PET scan to see if these masses/tumors are lighting up! You poor dear, my heart breaks to know you are in this position. Your Dad could also be having the normal physical complaints of someone his age.

I would take him to the doctor so that a "doctor" can explain more to him about what they think is going on. He may take this information more seriously and you won't be on the "hot seat" if this comes from someone other than you. How often is he seeing a doctor and what type of doctor does he visit for the pain meds?

Never worry about venting around here. That's what we're all here for -- to give each other support in whatever way we can.

Hugs,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Regular User

Stage Four - Sweating RESPOND TO PBJ11

Dear pjb11,

I have just read your post regarding the loss of your husband – I am so extremely sorry. There just aren't words. And I do appreciate your courage to respond to people on this forum – having gone through so much and sharing your experience and assistance with others is truly so good of you. You are a very special person.

But yes, as far as my 81-year-old dad he just believes if anything is wrong he'll pass in his own home. His doctor and I have been talking (dad doesn't know the results of the CAT scan). I believe that dad "knows…" something is wrong, so he pretends each day and life is kinda normal for him so I don't want to let him know what the doctor said so we all can "pretend".

If this disease is growing at a slow pace, I'm just not sure what that means. He had a 10mm spot on his lung back in Nov '06, and in Nov '07 I found out about the 4cm/6 nodules in his lungs – that's why dr. believes it stage four. And he did have a CAT scan with Contrast (from what I've read this can show cancer). But after reading all this on internet I just find it difficult to think he does have it because it's been over 18 months with NO TREATMENT and really no symptoms. So I just don't know what to expect – there is really nothing on internet that I've found that is similar.

And yes, I've been going crazy – he's just the type that kinda complains of everything so I always look for signs – I guess just so I know what to maybe expect and with all his "complaints" they all could be related to something else. For instance, he's fallen twice (could be meds), he's legs have swollen, one bigger than other (he's had this before and then takes meds and it goes away), sweats, etc. after researching all these "things" it just could be something else. Again, sorry to go on and on – oh and also my mom has dementia. I moved her 8 months ago (long story) gave up my life my job, etc., I'm 55 and live with them. If anyone reads this I personally would never MOVE IN with the parents – have them move in with you so you can continue your life. Well, enough of that huh? I've had too much coffee this morning!!!! Again, thanks for response – guess all I can do is take each day as it comes. Thank you so much for your response.

Experienced User
    SharRog writes:

"If this disease is growing at a slow pace, I'm just not sure what that means. He had a 10mm spot on his lung back in Nov '06, and in Nov '07 I found out about the 4cm/6 nodules in his lungs – that's why dr. believes it stage four. And he did have a CAT scan with Contrast (from what I've read this can show cancer). But after reading all this on internet I just find it difficult to think he does have it because it's been over 18 months with NO TREATMENT and really no symptoms. So I just don't know what to expect – there is really nothing on internet that I've found that is similar."

Hi SharRog. I have spent the last 5 months looking for well-founded figures on the survival benefit of chemo/rad for Stage 4 NSCLC, which I was dx with 5 months ago, no coincidence. As far as I can tell and accg to my oncologist, her resident, my cardiologist, and a pathologist friend of mine, there are NO SUCH FIGURES. And, while many oncologists tell their patients that 'palliative', which is all that treatment for Stage 4 NSCLC claims to be, means both 'easing symptoms' and 'extending survival', in fact the word is defined by the World Health Organization as 'neither extending nor shortening life' (plus of course 'alleviating symptoms'). So I would advise you to relax -- as long as your dad isn't really suffering, let him live out his life in peace. At least that's my plan for myself.

Hugs,

EFP
    66-yr-old woman, dx 12/07 at age 63 with Stage 4 NSCLC (adenocarcinoma with BAC features), with mets to lymph nodes and bones (pelvis, L3, T2). Only symptoms are blood clots, for which am taking Lovenox, and some pain from the bone mets, for which I had radiation to the pelvis and spine and now take Ibuprofen. Have opted to do no chemo or chest radiation.

Regular User

Sweating - Stage Four

Hi EFP - I'm so sorry to hear of your situation. I can't imagine.

Having treatment is such a personal, individual decision. From your email it sounds like your not doing any treatment, from what I've read on internet there can be amazing results with chemo/radiation. Like I said dad is 81....
    Wishing you much success..

Experienced User
    Hi again, SharRog.

I didn't put in my 2 cents to look for sympathy -- what I meant was that your dad's living this long with no symptoms and no treatment might not be so unusual -- it seems very little is known about how people respond to no treatment. As for the 'amazing results' you've read about on the Internet, have any of them shown up in any controlled study you've come across? I haven't seen any, in spite of looking real hard. So my basic point was and is that, if your father were my father, I wouldn't try to coerce him into treatment that he doesn't want and just let him live out his life as comfortably and happily as possible. Good luck.

EFP
    66-yr-old woman, dx 12/07 at age 63 with Stage 4 NSCLC (adenocarcinoma with BAC features), with mets to lymph nodes and bones (pelvis, L3, T2). Only symptoms are blood clots, for which am taking Lovenox, and some pain from the bone mets, for which I had radiation to the pelvis and spine and now take Ibuprofen. Have opted to do no chemo or chest radiation.

Hello SharRog,
    I thought I would see how you and your dad is doing. I know you are having such a hard time there but perhaps you would like to share with us any recent news as we are here for your support too. You are such a good person moving in with your parents and giving your job up... Try your level best to remember you have a life also and at 55 years old you need your time to enjoy and have your peace too.. Your father could be blessed with a longer life than usual for a lung cancer patient, so don't ruin your life waiting for something to happen that may not for some time yet! Juggle some time for yourself/eat well so you don't fall down. God Bless, Koik

Shar,

Ditto what Koik said from me too. Haven't seen you for a bit.

Thanks for bumping this up Koik --- you are unbelievable!

PBJ

Regular User

Sweating - Stage Four

Dear Koikkeril and Pbj11,

I was just reading (as usual) all the posts and I saw that you two had replied again. I can't thank you enough for checking in on us. You're such caring people and it's comforting to know there are people out there who care so much. I've read your post before when you replied Pjb11 and I just read yours Koikkeril – I just can't imagine….and you two keep plugging along and reaching out to people and give THEM support – you both are angels!!!

Things here are basically the same, though of course I'm always looking for "signs". Dad's main concern now is the sweating – he says he sweats so much that his t-shirts are soaked. And I have found on internet that is a "sign". I can tell he's worried about it, we're suppose to go to doctor in August – and this probably sounds bad but I'm afraid the doctor will tell him what he may have. Usually I go in with him at doctor's but he told me he wants to see him by himself. If he is told he has cancer I believe my dad will keep it to himself – he can be such a strong person. And it would be like we're doing right now….acting as if nothing is wrong. (He was told back in Nov he may have cancer-long story but he doesn't know that his doctor told me). And it's hard too – I wish I could talk to mom about it but she doesn't have a clue (even though there was a big argument about me trying to get him to oncologist) she has totally forgotten it – so it's kinda weird here – dad may have lung cancer and mom has dementia (it's mild now – but she forgets).

He also has complained of chest pains, and pains in his leg, blood sugar low, etc. But, dad was always one that told of his aches and pains and a lot of them can be explained away. The doctor told me before he thinks 85-90% that he has lung cancer – I guess I'm hoping for the 15% that he doesn't. And dad will not have biopsy, I know that he feels if it's his time he wants to be home and not on a lot of drugs. He's seen so many friends/family go thru terrible diseases.

My concern is that things will start happening and he'll be scared – that's what concerns me the most. I don't want him to be scared.
    I guess I'm just trying to figure out if he does have it. My brother tells me to stay off the internet-I'm not a doctor. But I can't help it, I just want to see if what he complains about could be the cancer.

But what really confuses me is that he's had the 4 cm mass/nodules since Nov '07 and no symptoms. From what I've read it seems like he should have some major symptom by now. (maybe it's the sweating – if it is – what is happening to him?)

Life right now is a little bizarre – taking care of both of them. But I believe things happen for a reason. Thanks for the advice on taking care of myself. If it is his time I know my life will change back to the way it was before, guess I'm just "waiting" to see.

Sorry for going on and on – it has really helped me that you two posted and I could write to you. I've read so many heartbreaking stories (like yours) and am thankful my dad has lived this long. Maybe that's why I think I'm dealing with all of this ok, it's been hard, but he has lived a long life. Thank you again for caring - you two take care of yourselves too!

Hi SharRog
    I hope you are well? May I ask which country you live in? I am amazed that you have to wait till August for your appointment! Is it by any chance the UK NHS? This must be putting more strain on you, is it not possible to complain and get an earlier appointment?

Sorry to read about your mum having dementia but with having to explain to your mum and then your mum forgetting perhaps its just as well you take it on board, as it will proberly be less frustrating for you? There is nothing worse than having stress and then having to repeat a conversation a million times, stressing yourself out more...

As far as I remember you havent mentioned if the doctor is an oncologist or a MD? As far as I am aware your father has not had an biopsy as yet but scans?
    The appointment that your father is havng in August, is it to be told of the results of a scan or biopsy to state whether there is cancer or not?
    If it is an oncologist that he is seeing and if he has cancer, he most proberly would be given a macmillian nurse if you are in the Uk. This nurse would most proberly speak to your father directly after the diagnosis and gives the cancer support to help him come to terms with the disease and would most proberly ask him to include you.

Anyhow my heart is with you at this difficult time and if i was in your situation I would try to speed up your appointment because i think that is some wait, even if its the NHS!

Hope you can fill us in, God bless, koik

Hello SharRog
    We haven't heard anything from you for a while and I just thought I would ask, "how are you" as I know what its like to have this problem and be on your own...I want you to know we are here for you.
    Hope you will update us soon. God Bless Koik

+ Reply to Thread