A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bone pain in early stage prostate cancer

Regular User

Bone pain in early stage prostate cancer

I have just been diagnosed with prostate cancer. My PSA was only 2.9 but because the urologist detected an anomaly in the DRE he order a biopsy. The biopsy result is that I have prostate cancer at clinical stage T2a. This should be treatable by surgery, which is what I intend to do. Today I had bone scan which probably won't show anything, but I am still very worried that I already have bone metastasis because I have some hip pain that is consistent with bone metastasis. I've had it for about 6 or 8 months and I just attributed it to too much golf and tennis and old age (61), but now I'm not sure. Surgery is not going to help if it's already in my bones so it's a very important question for me to have answered right now... Do I already have bone metastasis? Any suggestions?

hi

It's highly, highly unlikely that your hip pain is from metastatic prostate cancer with what appears to be early stage cancer. What was your Gleason score?
    Replicant

Dx Feb 2006, PSA 9 @age 43
    RRP Apr 2006 - Gleason 3+4, T2c, NXMX, pos margins
    PSA 5/06 <0.1, 8/06 0.2, 12/06 0.6, 1/07 0.7.
    Salvage radiation (IMRT) total dose 70.2 Gy, Jan-Mar 2007@ age 44
    PSA 6/07 0.1, 9/07 (and thereafter) <0.1
    http://pcabefore50.blogspot.com

Livinit - Try to relax

Livinit,

Face reality, you are old and a bit stiff I can relate.

Replicant is right.

It is not unusual to go through stages where you associate every pain to PCa after diagnosis. I had some pelvic pain, kidney pain, and my usual back pain over 4 years ago and still no trace of metastasis. That is with Gleason 8 and a PSA of 16.

Any of us over 55 can tell you that there are new unexplained pains all the time. Sometimes they last for a week, sometimes for a year. If I could talk to the person I was 4 years ago, I would say "peruse treatment and enjoy life" Do not squander the the good years you have worrying about the years you may or may not have

Good Luck
    History: PSA's every 6 months 6.7 neg biopsy - PSA 16.6 neg biopsy - PSA's 8.2, 8.1, 8.7 - Biopsy showing 4+4 Gleason 8. Lap RP Apr 2004, age 52 All neg margins, nodes, and structures. (T2a). Post RP PSA: every 6 mo. <.1 until Feb, 08 (46 mos) PSA .1 - I then got sensitive tests beginning 2008: Feb .06, May .09, Jun .10, Aug .10, Nov .15 - SRT Dec 2008
    Post SRT PSA 2009 Feb .10, May .09, Aug .06, Dec .04, 2010 Mar .04

Regular User
    My Gleason score was 3+3. I hope your are both correct in your assessment that my hip pain is unrelated to cancer. I believe that to be the case, but it's hard not to worry. I will hear today if there is anything on the bone scan, but I don't think there is. I saw a surgeon this morning and am now scheduled for RP by the robotic procedure next Tuesday. I'm very glad it's happening soon. I'll post something after the surgery is over.

Thanks for your posts.

+ Reply to Thread