A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: do you know about mushroom Extract Maitake D-fraction?

do you know about mushroom Extract Maitake D-fraction?

I was told by a friend to take Maitake D-fraction extract, which apparently fights against cancer cells and boost your immune system. I have been reading a lot about that mushroom extract and it sounds like a miracle cure. So, i bought it and started taking it a few days ago. But my husband says that i should check with my oncologist before doing so, as we don't know if there is any interference with Arimidex. Does anyone know about Maitake D-fraction and does it have any interactions? Thanks. Nicole

Administrator Top User brainman's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Nicole. I 100% agree with your husband. ALWAYS consult with your own medical team before starting any supplement or alternative therapy. There is a risk of a supplement preventing your chemo from doing its work.

Another comment: If it sounds too good, like a "miracle cure" it probably is not. I do not even believe in a cancer being curable. It has been nearly 16 years since I was first diagnosed (Nov 1992). But it recurred almost 13 years later (June 2005). I use the term No Evidence of Disease (NED) instead of CURE (Complete and Utterly Ridiculous Expression ).

I am sorry about your cancer. You mind if I ask you what type of cancer you have?

You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Jim
    Long-term cancer survivor
    1992 Astrocytoma grade 2, left motor strip
    2005 Recurrence this time said to be an Oligodendroglioma grade 3, same location.
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2405
    My Story Part 1: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=2528
    My Story Part 2: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?p=7350
    My Story Part 3: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=8029

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Nicole

The American cancer Society has a page on this, you can find it here :

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/co...e_Mushroom.asp

It is being tested at the moment, and its effects on Chemotherapy is unknown, so I would suggest not taking it during treatment and waiting till after chemo has finished, until such times as it is pronounced safe. If this stuff costs a fortune I wouldn't bother and I would stick to the stuff that really works.
    Age 57
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

I know this is an old post, but anyway...

Maitake mushrooms are widely eaten food. There's doesn't appear to be any problems with using Maitake D-fraction. If anything, you'll probably only have upside with it, since it's one of the more widely used and tested of the medical mushrooms and it's not new.

Many doctors are prescribing Maitake D-Fraction in Japan together with chemotherapy, especially for breast cancer, but also other cancers. In many cases it works synergistically so it enhances the effects of chemo and it protects the immune system by increasing NK cells and T cells which is what chemo will impact. Another one that is widely prescribed in hospitals in Japan is AHCC.

Our doctor usually prescribes 400-600 mg Maitake D-Fraction. Choose a high-potency Pro product for cancer, rather than the standard grade stuff. I guess sometimes you have to pay more for quality and potency. Too low a dose may not produce results. So far no problems taking 600mg of this for the last 2 months. NK cells increased from 29% to 41%, and T cell number increased from 491 to 1080 ul.

{links deleted by admin. http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=12696 }

All the best.

Maitake use with chemotherapy

As far as I know, there have not been any negative effects on maitake use on the effectiveness of any type of Chemo.

And in recent studies, the combintation of Maitake MD fraction and chemo together, was much more effective against cancer than Only Chemo or Only MD fraction. And no treatment was the worst.

Other than just activating the immune system, Md fraction has recently shown antimetastatic abilities and bone marrow cell stimulation.

So go for it! And as the other people suggested, advise your doctor of any treatments you have chosen to take.

And never give up on being 100% healthy.

Maitake D-fraction extract

I have not heard of any harmful side effects of this. However, I do not see this being recommended by many genuine alternative health experts. Probably better than nothing.

Experienced User

Maitake D-fraction extact

Although I completely trust my doctor's recommendations regarding alternative protocols I still like to do research on the supplements etc. that he suggests would be of benefit so that I have a better understanding of what effect they will have. Mushroom extracts have been a part of the daily supplement protocol I have followed since my diagnosis in early 2004.

There are many clinical trial reports available through such reliable sources as PubMed which clearly state that not only do many mushroom extracts (Maitake included) strengthen and optimize the capacity of the immune system, they also enhance the effectiveness of chemotherapy.

"Maitake mushroom (Grifola frondosa) MD-fraction containing beta-1,6 glucan with beta-1,3 branched chains has previously exhibited strong anticancer activity by increasing immune-competent cell activity.1,2 In this non-random case series, a combination of MD-fraction and whole maitake powder was investigated to determine its effectiveness for 22- to 57-year-old cancer patients in stages II-IV. Cancer regression or significant symptom improvement was observed in 58.3 percent of liver cancer patients, 68.8 percent of breast cancer patients, and 62.5 percent of lung cancer patients. The trial found a less than 10-20 percent improvement for leukemia, stomach cancer, and brain cancer patients. Furthermore, when maitake was taken in addition to chemotherapy, immune-competent cell activities were enhanced 1.2-1.4 times, compared with chemotherapy alone. Animal studies have supported the use of maitake MD-fraction for cancer."

SOURCES : http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12126464

8 pages of reports discussing various cancers
    http://www.docstoc.com/docs/14496263/Altern-Med-Rev

Regular User

More than meets the eye

I wanted to comment on this discussion since I have a lot of inside information on this topic.

First I want to make clear that there is a big misunderstanding in terminology surrounding this topic. And it has to do with the words D fraction or MD fraction.

These words were originally created by Dr. Nanba of Kobe pharmaceutical university to name the series of fractions he purified from his extraction of the Maitake mushroom. Using column chromatography, he labeled different fractions of compounds A fraction, B fraction, C fraction, D fraction, etc.
    And found that the purified, high molecular weight 1,6 beta glucans with 1,3 branches in this fraction (labeled D = the fourth fraction taken off the chromatography column)) had significant activity for stimulating immunocompetent cells.

He and his group of researchers have been publishing for over 15 years in Japan using these words to describe their patent protected extract. And ther research results are fantastic.

However these same terms "D fraction" and "MD fraction" have been trademarked by an American company in America, who also sells their own type of Maitake extracts.

So, it appears that 15 years of research in Japan and clinical trials at sloan kettering all are done on the commercial "D fraction" term patented in America. But that is not the case.

Please understand that the word "D fraction" published in most scientific papers is absolutely not the same as the "D fraction" being sold to you at your health food store.

The "D fraction" that is made by Dr. Nanba and his research team is a patented extract that has been further purified by chromatography methods to produce a super concentrated family of high molecualar weight compounds. It cannot be bought in the market place anywhere in the world because it is only an experimental scientific compound and no company currently makes this to sell.

To emphasize "you cannot actually buy the real D fraction published by Dr. Nanba anywhere in the world. It's not for sale. It does not exist on the market".

So issues about optimal dosage concentration and the dosages published in scientific papers do not correspond with any available Maitake extracts on the market.

I don't want to be a downer on this forum. Because actually I am a huge believer in the immune enhancing effects of Maitake extracts.

But I just wanted to shed some light on this subject, since I am one of the only people who have had access to this information.

PS. in America, Dr. Nanba's real patented Maitake extracts can be confirmed by the patent number 5,854,404. That is his patented Maitake extract.

Hope this helps to clarify the very blury naming and terminology surrounding this issue.

Question. I found this on the label of a Maitake mushroom extract that I was considering ordering to boost my daughter's immune system. What is your take on the quality and recommended dosage?

Maitake Mushroom450 mg * (Grifola frondosa) (plant)
    Maitake Standardized PlantExtract 30 mg * (D-fraction 10% concentration)

Other Ingredients: Cellulose (Plant Origin), Gelatin, Vegetable Stearic Acid, Silica. Guarantee: We use only the finest quality herbs and spices. Each is screened and finely milled for quick release. Preservative-free gelatin capsules contain pure milled herb powder. Natural Whole Herb products utilize ground plant parts to provide the natural components in the amounts found in nature.

No Artificial Color, Flavor or Sweetener, No Preservatives, No Sugar, No Starch, No Milk, No Lactose, No Soy, No Gluten, No Wheat, No Yeast, No Fish, Sodium Free.
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Regular User
    Hi pbj11. That product mostly looks like a holistic type, since it contains alot of whole maitake mushroom. That is good, if you don't have access to fresh Maitake in your area.
    For the extract it looks like one serving contains 10% of 30 mg. So 3mg of total extract (if my math is right). Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
    This is not a very large dose of extract. But would probably be suitable for daily use for someone who is already healthy. Similar to putting a handfull mushrooms in your recipe for dinner.
    So there IS benefit to be had from eating them.

Regular User
    ps. the "Other Ingredients" section of their product looks quite clean. They are using mostly vegetable forms of processing ingredients "Vegetable Stearic Acid" and "Cellulose (Plant Origin)". They could have gone with a vegetarian HPMC capsule to avoid the animal "gelatin". But that is a minor point that only vegetarians would be looking at. Silica or "silicon dioxide" is used as a dessicant to keep the extract from degrading. These mushroom extracts are highly hygroscopic, so they will absorb any atmospheric O2 and degrade.
    So I'd give an overall thumbs up to the product you are looking at, as a daily supplement for an overall health person.
    Hope that helps

Thank you Immuno. I realize my post was totally off topic for a cancer forum, so I'm slapping my own wrist here as an administrator, but I'm searching for ways to help my healthy daughter develop a better immune system. She is in work environments where she is exposed to a lot of viruses and colds. She catches everything and spends all winter with one virus after another --- well into spring.

I think I'll purchase this for her. Already have her on green tea extract and vitamin C. She's also taking B12. Unfortunately, she IS a vegetarian, so I hope this capsule will be acceptable for her. Thanks for pointing that out to me. She is not going vegan, so maybe she'd agree.

I appreciate you breaking this down for me as I was clueless about this mushroom until I started reading about it's immune system boosting in here.

Naturally I must put the caveat for any cancer patients who may read this that any and all supplements need to be reviewed by your oncologist.

Thanks again!
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Top User
    Interesting stuff all, thx - I do agree one should check with their oncologists if on treatment though.

Blog Entries

Angry

Hi

"Boost the immune system" how do you actually do that. What part of the immune system can you actually boost ? i would like a scientific explanation of what is actually being boosted

http://www.cancerforums.net/entries/...-Immune-System

Citations please on what is being 'boosted'
    Age 57
    Stage 2a
    NED on the 2/01/2013

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

Your ability to fight off cooties that are around you when you work in public environments. I checked it out on Sloan-Kettering's website. This is for my daughter --- NOT a cancer patient, as she gets sick far too often. I'm simply looking for anything that can help her maintain better health. Chill C-man. I'm bad to post about a non-cancer issue, but it was a launching point for me to do more research on this mushroom.

EDIT == I went back and rechecked what was said about Maitake on Sloan-Kettering and it lists immunostimulation as a purported use. It states that it is marketed to "enhance immune function." This is being investigated for other applications.

Guess I was so busy ordering my supplements that I overlooked any specifics. Oops. I don't think it will hurt and for myself it does have some evidence of lowering blood glucose levels in Type II diabetes patients.

Further info can be found here at Sloan-Ketterings site: http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69294.cfm#References
    Last edited by pbj11; 06-23-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Hi pbj

i am chilled believe me. 'enhancing immune function' is not a scientific explanation. And I don't care what mskcc say about this as waffle is waffle. There is a huge controversy at the moment about the fact that alt meds are creeping into the system in the US. I am rushing for work but will post links on this later.

Do you know what happens when you ramp up an immune system? You get an auto immune disease. Take your pick it could be Rheumatoid arthritis, Lupus or even multiple sclerosis. All of those are about as much fun as cancer is.

It OK I am still chilled
    Age 57
    Stage 2a
    NED on the 2/01/2013

LOL --C-man is chillin'. This IS news to me!!! I've gotten my head so deep into supplements for myself that I may have missed the forest for the trees.

Would you liken this to what is happening with antibiotic resistant bugs creeping up?

You've got my attention and I like waffles too!
    Last edited by pbj11; 06-24-2011 at 02:01 AM.

Regular User
    Hi I just wanted to answer the question posted by ChemoMan in June.

ChemoMan asked ""Boost the immune system" how do you actually do that. What part of the immune system can you actually boost ? i would like a scientific explanation of what is actually being boosted"

Being an open minded skeptic myself, I can understand why ChemoMan is asking the question.

Here's a brief go at an answer for you. (I'm summarizing the cell activation mechanism from research on the purified form of maitake extract Patent 5,854,404 )

1) The 1,6 beta glucan with 1,3 branches is taken orally and not broken down much in the stomach since it is a dietary fiber. It is taken up into the body through the Peyers patches in the intestine.

2) The helical structure and unique branching pattern of this beta glucan are able to interact with the Dectin-1 receptor on the surface of Macrophage cells.

3) Through Dectin-1 activation, these macrophage cells are stimulated in 2 ways: (1) to release specific cytokines such as IL-12 etc. (2) the macrophage is directly activated as a phagocyte and/or antigen presenting cell. And do their job of "eating/phagocytosis" problematic cells (foreign invaders etc.) and then presenting cell surface fragments of what they've eaten as antigens (Antigen Presenting Cells) to certain other immune cells, such as Helper-T cells. Which in turn pass the info to Cytotoxic-T cells. We can imagine these Cytotoxic T cells now as tuned to specifically destroy the problematic cells which the macrophage originally ate.

4) The IL-12 etc. released by the activated macrophage are molecular signals which activate Natural Killer cells (NK). When NK cells are activated, they can destroy problematic cells they encounter. As they destroy cells, macrophage cells will come to clean up the mess. And the above cycle continues.

ChemoMan, that is in essence how Maitake extract is currently known to activate certain sets of immune cells. The Dectin-1 & beta glucan connection is not limited to Maitake beta glucans (a quick PubMed search will show you that).

As with most mushroom extracts, Maitake extract is not simply an immune "booster". It's more like an immune modulator.
    Some immune signals are enhanced, while others may not be. The greater release of cytokines like IL-12 may activate cells, while more IL-10 can actually have an inhibitory effect on inflamation. Up and down effects at the same time.

Maitake extract seems to change the overall balance of the Th1/Th2 immune response pathways. Pushing more to the Th1 side. Th1 pathway is known for cellular immunity and the ability to fight viruses, intracellular pathogens and abnormal tissues. Th2 pathway is known for humoral immunity and the production of antibodies to fight extracellular organisms.

ChemoMan, if you have access to full text scientific journals and you really want to take the time to read the papers, just mention it and I will start posting references here (if that's cool with Administrators here -> pbj11 ?).
    But if you just want to see some titles and Abstracts, go to PubMed or another search database and search a few related keywords. Try Maitake, AKA Grifola frondosa ?

If anyone has anything to add, or if I have made mistakes with any parts of the immune pathway explanation, please correct me. I will appreciate it.

Hope that helps.

Blog Entries
    Hi Immuno

Thanks for that, it was helpful. Please send me references via PM. I can access papers through work. You can put in links now, strictly speaking you have 1 more post to go but we can turn a blind eye to that

Cheers
    Age 57
    Stage 2a
    NED on the 2/01/2013

Regular User
    Hi ChemoMan,
    I'm glad my rambling was useful. You might have gathered that I'm a mushroom geek.

Here are a selection of some key publications that I've enjoyed reading. This list is missing most of Dr. Nanba's earlier published results (which are the foundation of this more recent research).

And please remember that the D fraction mentioned in these scientific papers is NOT the same as the commercially sold products that have the same name. It's amazing that a company could actually trademark a phrase "... D Fraction" that was previously established as a medical term in scientific papers. Nice work USPTO ;(
    Whoops! I'm ranting again. Sorry.

Here are some very cool research studies!
    The Kodama et al. studies from mid 2000s show alot of the basic immune activation stuff.

Deng G, Lin H, Seidman A, Fornier M, D’Andrea G, Wesa K,
    Yeung S, Cunningham-Rundles S, Vickers AJ, Cassileth B (2009)
    A phase I/II trial of a polysaccharide extract from Grifola frondosa
    (Maitake mushroom) in breast cancer patients: immunological
    eVects. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 135:1215–1221

Hishida, I., H. Nanba, and H. Kuroda. 1988. Antitumor activity exhibited by
    orally administered extract from fruit body of Grifola frondosa (maitake).
    Chem. Pharm. Bull. (Tokyo) 36:1819–1827.

Harada, N., N. Kodama, and H. Nanba. 2003. Relationship between dendritic
    cells and the D-fraction-induced Th-1 dominant response in BALB/c
    tumor-bearing mice. Cancer Lett. 192:181–187.

Ito K, Masuda Y, Yamasaki Y, Yokota Y, Nanba H (2009) Maitake
    beta-glucan enhances granulopoiesis and mobilization of
    granulocytes by increasing G-CSF production and modulating
    CXCR4/SDF-1 expression. Int Immunopharmacol

Inoue, A., N. Kodama, and H. Nanba. 2002. Effect of maitake (Grifola
    frondosa) D-fraction on the control of the T lymph node Th-1/Th-2 proportion.
    Biol. Pharm. Bull. 25:536–540.

Kodama N, Harada N, Nanba H. A polysaccharide, extract from Grifola frondosa,
    induces Th-1 dominant responses in carcinoma-bearing BALB/c mice. Jpn J
    Pharmacol 2002;90:357–60.

Kodama N, Komuta K, Sakai N, Nanba H. Effects of D-Fraction, a polysaccharide
    from Grifola frondosa on tumor growth involve activation of NK cells. Biol Pharm
    Bull 2002;25:1647–50.

Kodama, N., A. Asakawa, A. Inui, Y. Masuda, and H. Nanba. 2005. Enhancement
    of cytotoxicity of NK cells by D-fraction, a polysaccharide from
    Grifola frondosa. Oncol. Rep. 13:497–502.

Kodama N, Murata Y, Asakawa A, Inui A, Hayashi M, Sakai N, et al. Maitake D-Fraction
    enhances antitumor effects and reduces immunosuppression by mitomycin-C in
    tumor-bearing mice. Nutrition 2005;21:624–9.

Lin, H., Y. H. She, B. R. Cassileth, F. Sirotnak, and S. Cunningham Rundles.
    2004. Maitake beta-glucan MD-fraction enhances bone marrow colony formation
    and reduces doxorubicin toxicity in vitro. Int. Immunopharmacol.
    4:91–99.

Lin H, She YH, Cassileth BR, Sirotnak F, Cunningham Rundles S
    (2004) Maitake beta-glucan MD-fraction enhances bone marrow
    colony formation and reduces doxorubicin toxicity in vitro. Int
    Immunopharmacol 4:91–99

+ Reply to Thread