A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chemo 3 days in a row?

Chemo 3 days in a row?

Does anyone have experience with chemo treatments that are given over three days, then not again for three weeks? I spoke with a neighbor who is battling lung cancer and he had chemo one day and then off for three weeks.

The reason I am asking is because he said the nausea hit him on Day 2 (after his treatment was over.) But my Dad will get his chemo over three days. What if he is incredibly ill on Day 2 or 3......can they still give him the chemo? The doctor said this schedule standard for stage 4 extensive small cell lung cancer. He will get two drugs on day 1 and one drug on days 2 and 3.

If anyone can help me to know what to expect I would greatly appreciate it.

KC,

Typically the routine treatment for SCLC is to infuse 3 days in a row, every three weeks. NSCLC is usually given once every three weeks for the first line therapy.

They are obviously going after the SCLC that your Dad has, but one of the two chemo drugs he'll be taking also works on the NSCLC, if he is getting standard first line SCLC treatment. (Gosh, I think it is anyway!) SCLC is wildfire and they have to nip that as fast as possible. What is the doublet he'll be receiving?

My best friend had SCLC while my husband had NSCLC. It's like comparing apples to oranges -- somewhat different drugs and different timetables. Often a timetable can change depending on the patients overall health condition. It gets convoluted and was confusing for her family in light of what my husband was doing.

The whammy can hit at varying times, but I think by the third day my friend was feeling pretty tired. Nausea should not be an issue for most people. Have your Dad take the anti-nausea meds the first night (check with the doc) and continue for several days after the chemo ends. People make the mistake of not taking it BEFORE the nausea hits and it is very hard to play catch up. If it is not working, immediately call the doctor to get better anti-nausea pills. There are many out there. Also, make sure he stays hydrated. Lots and lots of fluids for many days after the chemo will help his body handle it better.

Let us know and I'm sending big hugs of support and comfort to you during this very tough time.

PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Hi kcjonnie; I cannot offer much to you. I will be thinking of you and your Dad and praying for you. The primary thing is to remember that everyone reacts different. You never know for sure what to expect.

The one woman that I know who had treatment like this, did get sick. I don't think in the beginning. Those pre-meds can work well. Pay attention and be sure he is getting what he should be.

My husband's treatment and story is different but he did go thru some really rough times during aggressive radiation and chemo. In the end he did benefit. There were days he was ready to give up treatment but he hung in there. Have to be as tough as you can.

I hope this works. Cancer treatments were new to me this year and so not a lot of info. I never heard of anyone dx'd with both SCLC and NSCLC.
    Husband (year of birth 1941) dx'd 2008 NSCLC - Squamous Cell Carcinoma
    Chemo and Radiation Treatments together. Allergic reaction to Taxol & Taxotere.
    The Story 2008 to 1/2011: http://www.cancerforums.net/about9079.html

2010/2011: Returned & spread to lower lumbar bone/marrow. Stage 4.
    Chemo & Radiation together. Allergic reaction to Erbitux. Chemo was only Navelbine.
    The Story continues 2/2011: Story continues 2/2011: http://tinyurl.com/68qpmym

Thanks Mary for your reply.

My Dad had his first treatment today. We found out that his next treatment cycle will actually be on Nov. 1st - which actually puts him at 4 weeks. For those that did do the three week cycle, did it mean three full weeks OFF chemo, and then one week on? Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread