A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lump on the lower back center of my head

Lump on the lower back center of my head

For a few weeks now I've noticed this lump on the back of my skull, at the height of my ears. It's bone hard, painless, immoveable, and pretty symmetrical. I'm worried about lymphoma since I've been feeling fatigued lately, though I suppose my chronic anxiety is likely to blame for that. I dont know whether I've had this thing my entire life or what, it's just something I noticed while poking around my head. It's around 1.5 cm in diameter. Is this a lymph node? If not, what is it? Where are the occipital lymph nodes located anyway?

Hi VegettoVai90.

Is this lump in the middle or the side of your head?

Just want to make sure you're not talking about this:
    http://www.upstate.edu/cdb/grossanat/hnsklatob1.shtml
    My Story: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=11396
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 1AE (localized in colon)
    Began six cycles of R chop 21 3rd Dec 2008
    Finished R chop 21 Apr 2009
    Complete remission as of May 2009
    Confirmed April 2010

Yep, it's dead center. Yeah, that's what I thought it was, but I wasn't sure, since my roommates was bigger and my mom didn't have one (at least one that could be felt). I get so worried about this stuff even though it's probably nothing, but I have a bad family history so can you blame me? Where are the lymph nodes of the head located anyway?

My doctors feels under my chin when he checks them, so I doubt that what you are feeling is a lymph node. But I am not a doctor, so if you are really concerned, by all means have someone check it out for you.
    My Story: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=11396
    Stage 1AE (localized in colon)
    Began six cycles of R chop 21 3rd Dec 2008
    Finished R chop 21 Apr 2009
    Complete remission as of May 2009
    Confirmed April 2010

I saw the physician at the health center and she didn't seem worried at all. I've had 3 physical exams, some blood work (CBC and chem), and two urine tests done and everything came back normal. Everyone I've spoken to about it thinks it's all in my head, but I'm getting really paranoid about my health lately. I'm sure they're right, but it's just that slight possibility that it COULD be something bad that is making me uneasy. I hate thinking like this, this isn't me. Before, I wouldn't think twice about a serious illness, since cancers usually effect older people and/or have really noticeable symptoms. What I have is most likely anxiety with IBS, but I don't know for sure and that's killing me.

Hi,

I see you have some concerns about your health. Please make a list, get to a doctor, and have your mind put at ease. This is the ONLY way to assure yourself that things are okay without driving yourself crazy.

The lump on the back of your head probably as simple as a different shaped skull. Heck, it could be from not laying an infant on it's back. When my kid's were little that wasn't recommended, so a soft skull molds to being laid on your back and naturally flattens out more.

(Oh -- I was writing while you were responding to another post and see that you've already been to the doctor.) You might want to reconnect and explain how anxious you are lately. Anxiety isn't the best thing for IBS either, from personal experience. Maybe a little anti-depressant or anti-anxiety med is what is needed. Please let the doctor know and go for a consult. Living a life in fear of "possibilities" somewhere down the road is no life at all --- as I'm sure you know. Obviously, being on a cancer forum, we've all had cancer as part of our lives, but you can't let the specter of this impact having a full life. I know it's hard, so do what you CAN do and get some doctor's help.

Best of luck and God bless,
    PBJ
    Husband diagnosed with NSCLC Stage IV in 3/2005. Fought & lived over 2 1/2 years with multiple lines of treatment.

Post describing our journey: http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.ph...er=asc&start=0

Left my embrace to live with our Heavenly Father in October of 2007 and now breathes with ease forever. I will miss this gentle, giving soul with the easy smile for the rest of my days, but have faith we will be together again. He's just getting a little break from me!

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi VegettoVai90

There are no Lymph nodes at the back of your head where you mentioned, so I don't think it is lymphoma. Extra nodal lymphoma cant be discounted, but it is not common there. If you are concerned you need to see the doctor again, no one here can help you unless we have a firm diagnosis.

Below is a link showing where the nodes are in the back of the head, as you can see the occipital nodes, which are at the back of the head, are below the ears.

http://catalog.nucleusinc.com/imagescooked/14531W.jpg
    Another pic for you.....
    http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/21692508/

I think you may have a benign cyst they are common where you describe, but I am not a Doctor, so if you are concerned please show your Doctor again. We will be here if you need us. Good luck
    Age 57
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

+ Reply to Thread