A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Endometrioid Adenocarcinoma, FIGO II

Endometrioid Adenocarcinoma, FIGO II

I am a 67 yr old female. Somewhat overweight-30lbs.
    I recently had a complete Hysterectomy, for Complex Hyperplasia with Atypia.
    My Surgeon did not remove the Lymph nodes. This complicated matters since the Pathology results were: Endometrioid Adenocarcinoma, FIGO II
    So it was consistent with endometrial cancer stage 1C with 75% invasion, grade 2, but without lymphovascular space invasion.
    They gave me a 70-80% chance of having been cured totally.
    Discussion and many opinions of Oncologists both GYN and Medical advising me to do total abdominal Radiation Therapy EBRT or vaginal IBRT.
    However they all agree that not knowing the "lymph node status" we can be radiating only healthy tissues with the possible side effects and danger of damaging bladder, colon and vagina and the possibility of not being able to have sex. Lymphadenectomy was not recommended at this stage because of exposing me to a higher morbidity level .
    The pelvic radiation will add another 20% possibility of non recurrence.
    I am on my fifth week after the operation!

I am leaning in leaving things alone (No Radiation therapy) and taking my chances and be treated by close observation with check ups every three months.

Has anyone done this and wished they hadn't??

I have a lot to live for. I would appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Thank you so much.

aliaone

Hi aliaone:

Welcome to the forum, although we sure rather "converse" over different circumstances. I cannot answer your question as to whether to proceed with radiation, but will tell you what happen to me. I had stage III-C Endometrial Adenocarcinoma. I had no oncologist at first as I had no insurance. Thank God a radiation oncologist saw me without insurance or payment until later, but it limited my options. A surgical oncologist did take out my lymph nodes (one tested positive ) during a hysterectomy--I did not know cancer was found until after the operation. The surgeon recommended radiation for the same reasons you stated. I had 30 rounds, and bracytherapy (implanting a radiation device in the vagina).

My bladder seemed to have suffered from these treatments, and urination has increased. These treatments will shrink your vagina--even to the point of it being difficult to have pap exams, however, this can be combated through using a dilator supplied by the oncologist to keep the area from shrinking. I did have radiation burns on my abdomen, although it was remedy through ointments. I experienced great nausea for the first two weeks of radiation, then it subsided. If I had insurance at that time, I would had probably opted for chemotherapy--which my current oncologist feels would had been the better course of treatment.

It is a hard decision to make, I certainly understand. Given my stage, and I was also grade 2, I decided it would be best to radiate. You might want to get a second opinion before making that decision. God bless, and stand strong. Let us know how things are going.
    rmaureen
    Diagnosed Sept. 2005
    Stage III-C Endometrial Adenocarcinoma
    Grade 2
    My Story:
    http://fierytrial.wordpress.com/2009/12/09/my-diagnosis

+ Reply to Thread