A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fluid-build up in abdomen

New User

fluid-build up in abdomen

My dad was recently diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer.

He has had fluid build up in his abdomen area and has since drained it (weekly). I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this and if so was this later on or one of the initial symptoms.

Thank you

Regular User
    My mother-in-law had it the last 2 or 3 months of her life. She passed away 2-3-09. It's called ascites. Google it and you will get a lot of info on it. It is fluid and can be drained if necessary. The doctor never did drain my mother-in-laws even though she did mention it to him. He told her that it would just come back and that they liked for the body to absorb it back. I don't know if it does absorb back some or not. Her tummy just kept getting bigger.

Hi,

Sorry about your father. I posted in Navs thread aswell you might want to read. For my Dad this happend in the last month of his life. They never drained it as it would have meant going to hospital which my Dad wasn't up to. My Dads legs also swelled up a lot which hampered his ability to walk. You can get more details on my thread "My Dads Diagnosis". If you have any questions please feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Experienced User
    Hi,

For my Dad the build up started about three months before he passed away. We were told that it was fluid leaking out of his liver and was symptomatic of his cancer. Dad found quite good relief by having the fluid drained regularly. He also was put onto diuretics to help. He didn't like that so much as he has to constantly go to the toilet and couldn't get a good night's sleep.

Unfortunately for us, Dad's cancer was too advanced for any treatments to be effective, and everything became geared to his quality of life rather than prolonging his life.

Your Dad, you and your family are in my thoughts.
    With warm Regards,

Queensland Girl

Mum diagnosed June 1993, surgery and chemo died August 1993 (Pancreatic Cancer)
    Dad diagnosed July 2007, chemo only died January 2008 (Pancreatic Cancer)

Regular User
    My FIL had it start about a few months ago and he is in hospice now near the end. The doctors decided not to drain it and he was put on diuretics. It never caused him any pain but just lately it has pressed against his diaphragm and has caused some shortening of his breath. It is called ascites and is very typical in this form of cancer-usually it means the liver is not working properly, which is often the case. I wish your dad the best at this time.

+ Reply to Thread