A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PLease help with symptoms - pain on right side of body

PLease help with symptoms - pain on right side of body

Hi all,

Less than two months ago i found out that dad has lung cancer. We were overhwlmed by this news, but now coping and working though the treatment and all.

A few days after finding out, i got pretty sick - night sweats for 3 nights (hot and cold), diahrrea (sp), major pain at base of my neck (gland?), chest pain - both lungs....I went to see our GP after the second night of this...things just felt very wrong and "off". She knows my family history and recent diagnosis of my dad and basically chalked it up to stress. Told me to spend quality time with him while i can (gee, thanks), gave me anti-anxiety prescription, and that's it. Fast forward 2 weeks and second doc visit. Doc #2 does chest x-ray on the spot and says all looks good - likely stess....fill the prescrip doc #1 gave you...no tests. Between visit to doc 1 and 2 symptoms morph - lung pain localized to upper right side, right shoulder pain, pain in right side of throat, right elbow/arm pain, right leg/foot pain...this then changes to tingling in right arm and leg over a period of a couple of days. Then it seems to fade, however, right lung burns and feels like there's an infection that reaches into my back and throat, on the right side. Thoat on rights side feels like there's a lump (can't feel by pressing though).

So, the anti-anxiety meds help with some of the overwhelming feelings in regard to Dad but are not "curing" the above symptoms. Last week i went to doc #3 - basically told him it's NOT just stress, please help me, and he got it, i think. He ordered full blood work, including lyme test (sister has lyme), neck scan, CT w/contrast of chest. Waiting on results of blood/neck scan and having ct this wednesday.

What is happening to me? Anyone have these symptoms? Obviously i'm posting this here because i worry about cancer. I mentioned this to all 3 dos. Even with family history, they think i am just too young and that's not what's causing this. I am a former smoker - quit 2 years ago when i was 30.

Why is all this happening on the right side only? Also, about 3 years ago i had pain in on the right side of my abdomen...maybe around the right ovary (?) Doc examined and said it was menstruation related...."don't worry". So i pushed that thought to the back burner but, guess what? THat pain is back now too. Forgot to mention - also had "prickly"/"pins and needles" sensations along right side of spine and in mouth/right cheek area the first week of this. Lastly, doc #3 put me on antibiotics which have caused some sensations of fighting off infection - itching/hot feeling on right side.

I am so tired of feeling like this.

Appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Experienced User
    Hi newreality.

Welcome -- tho I'm sorry for your reason for being here.

Obviously, no one here can diagnose you and you'll just have to wait for the test/scan results, but, if it's any comfort, I was diagnosed 14 months ago with Stage 4 lung cancer and had NO symptoms except that I passed out twice -- from pulmonary embolisms. Also, your symptoms are very wide-ranging -- if it were cancer, we're talking about a lot of metastases, and I've never heard of all of a large number of them going to only one side of the body. Similarly, if it's some sort of brain involvement, the lesion/clot would be pretty big to produce such wide-ranging symptoms -- BUT it would be on the left side of your brain (since that's what controls the right side of the body) and would pretty definitely have affected your language ability (which is also on the left side of the brain). Since you don't mention that (and since you can still write very well ), I infer that it hasn't.

So hang in there and just wait for the results and take your anxiety pills. Good luck.

Ellen
    66-yr-old woman, dx 12/07 at age 63 with Stage 4 NSCLC (adenocarcinoma with BAC features), with mets to lymph nodes and bones (pelvis, L3, T2). Only symptoms are blood clots, for which am taking Lovenox, and some pain from the bone mets, for which I had radiation to the pelvis and spine and now take Ibuprofen. Have opted to do no chemo or chest radiation.

Thanks, Ellen. I'm sorry about your own diagnosis and wish you all the best.

Yes, my symptoms are a little all over the place so i think that's part of the reason that the first 2 docs thought it's stress. i have started taking a low dose of anti-anxiety/depression meds (Lexapro and Xanax, as needed).

Funny you mention the brain - I do have a brain aneurysm on the left side of my brain (near the opthalmic artery, behind my eye) but that was treated back in 2007 and followed up on just this past Otc. with an angiogram (very detailed imaging test), and all is fine with that, so i highly doubt it's related to my current situation, but i might reach out to the doc who treated me for it, just to be sure. I'm 99% certain that if anything was going wrong with the aneurysm, i would know in no unceratin terms (dad, coincidentally, had a ruptured one in mid-June and was in a coma for 2 weeks...).

So, today i called again in regard to my blood work and, apparently, white blood cell count is a little low and red cell count is a little low as well. Glucose shows as borderline high but blood was drawn right after a meal, so i think i'm ok there. Any idea what this could mean? I have an appt. with the doc (#3) agian tomorrow so i guess i'll learn more then. BTW - they said he wanted to see me in the next 2 weeks so it doesn't seem like it's all that urgent. I tested negative for Lyme, so that's not it, either.

CT of the chest was done yesterday as well and that looks "normal". Neck X-ray is normal too.

So, so far i'm super normal but still feel crappy!

THanks again. Any more input from everyone is appreciated!

Experienced User
    Hi newreality.

That's fantastic that your tests/scans came back ok! Especially the chest CT-scan! So you can cross lung cancer off your list of fears!

One thought: Have you carried anything heavy lately, like a suitcase or a heavy briefcase or computer case? If so, maybe you pulled/bruised something and it's radiating all these painful sensations down your right side? Just a thought. You might want to pop some Ibuprofen, if it agrees with you and isn't contraindicated by any other meds you take. It's an anti-inflammatory and, in large doses (800 mg = 4 over-the-counter pills at 200 mg each), really does a great job on a variety of aches and pains, for me at least.

Disclaimer: I am not a physician. I am not rich. Please do not sue.

Good luck.

Ellen
    66-yr-old woman, dx 12/07 at age 63 with Stage 4 NSCLC (adenocarcinoma with BAC features), with mets to lymph nodes and bones (pelvis, L3, T2). Only symptoms are blood clots, for which am taking Lovenox, and some pain from the bone mets, for which I had radiation to the pelvis and spine and now take Ibuprofen. Have opted to do no chemo or chest radiation.

+ Reply to Thread