A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What questions to ask after 6 weeks of radiation and chemo?

What questions to ask after 6 weeks of radiation and chemo?

Hi -
    Dad has completed 6 weeks of radiation and carboplatin/taxol and is due for a follow up with the Onc. tomorrow.

What are the important questions to ask in regard to next steps?

Is it normal to go this long without some sort of test to check progress?

When are tests normally done and what kind?

He is likely going to have 2 more weeks of some sort of chemo, starting in April. Is this normal? Why would the chemo continue w/out the radiation?

I know a lot of this depends on his individual "case" but any light you can shed on protocol for Stage 3B NSCLC (squamous cell), at this stage in the treamtment, is appreciated.

What are the chances that, if not operable before, it could be operable now, after the treatment?

What are the chances that he continues treatment for a while?

I know, it's all relative...again though, any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

My mother had chemo, but they wouldn't do radiation because as they said, it would be like shooting a fish in an ocean. The chemo supposeingly put her cancer in remission but when it came back it took her life fast. She died last Thursday.

If I had to do it all over again, I would protest against giving her the chemo because once she started it she never again was the same. She didn't have the same quality of life. Of course, I wasn't the one who made the final decision. My Dad and me and my sister all agreed to the chemo as she wasn't competent enough because of alzehimer's to decide this on her own.

Sadly missing my mother in So. Louisiana.

Experienced User
    puppylove - I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your mother. Please don't blame yourself - you guys made the decision you thought was best for her. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

newreality - I thank you for asking this question, as in three more rounds I'm going to have all of the exact same questions to ask *we're doing the same chemo combo* - I wish you guys luck and hopefully you'll get some answers soon!
    Caregivers to Pauline, age 72
    Diagnosed with Stage IV NSCLC Adenocarcinoma on February 13th, 2009, passed away April 14th, 2009.

Fly high with the angels, Gram!!

Moderator Top User

Re: What questions to ask after 6 weeks of radiation and che

Quote Originally Posted by newreality
    Hi -
    Dad has completed 6 weeks of radiation and carboplatin/taxol and is due for a follow up with the Onc. tomorrow.

What are the important questions to ask in regard to next steps?

Is it normal to go this long without some sort of test to check progress?

When are tests normally done and what kind?

He is likely going to have 2 more weeks of some sort of chemo, starting in April. Is this normal? Why would the chemo continue w/out the radiation?

I know a lot of this depends on his individual "case" but any light you can shed on protocol for Stage 3B NSCLC (squamous cell), at this stage in the treamtment, is appreciated.

What are the chances that, if not operable before, it could be operable now, after the treatment?

What are the chances that he continues treatment for a while?

I know, it's all relative...again though, any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
    NR, sounds like things are going ok for your dad, it does not sound like you have gone to his appointment's and are a little outside the information loop. The type of cancer and how it is distributed in the lungs makes it either operable or not. When they operate, they remove sections of the lung, if the cancer is distributed through out the lungs like mine they can not operate with any success. Chemo slows down the cancer growth or stops it and sometimes kills it, but in the long run cancer beats most treatments. Normally they will check your dad's cancer status every three to four months with a CT scan with contrast, as things look better they may move the check ups out to 6 months. I don't remember about your father having radiation treatments, was that for his head or chest?
    I hope the Onc has good news!
    Dan
    57 year old male, Diagnosed Nov. 9,2007 with NSCLC IV with Mets to the lymph's and brain and now my pancreas (9/1/11)
    Had full brain radiation treatment in Jan 08 treatments now every 3 weeks with Alimta, stopped taking Lovenox for clots, working full time
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9993

+ Reply to Thread