A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: can hives be a symptoms of lymphoma? should i follow this up

can hives be a symptoms of lymphoma? should i follow this up

Hello,

I have been worried about the possibility of lymphoma for a few months now, but everyone seems to thinks im making a mountain out of a mole hill

I have a lymph nodes 1cm or less either side of my neck about 1inch above the bottom of my neck around the same place on each side, they are quite firm but I wouldn't say they are stony hard they both move up and down however one more than the other but I think that's due to were one is placed within the muscle of my neck. They seem to decrease in size and get bigger throughout the day bigger at night but never bigger than 1cm. I first noticed the left one June 2008, and the left one before Christmas 2008 .

I have been getting chronic hives since November 2008 I had never had them before then, when I say chronic however I might only get them on my hands and if I leave them alone they go away , there is the odd time were I get them on my stomach fairly big maybe 10cms they are quite itchybut they go away quickly with anti-histamines.

I have been to the doctors, march 09, regarding this they checked my glands and said they feel fine not alarming at all one doctor couldn't even feel them till I showed him, I have had blood tests one showed slightly elevated white blood cells 11000 (abnormal neutrophils) , one month later I had a retest after antibiotics overall white blood cells were around 7500 the only one abnormal was eosinophils but they were only out by 0.04 the doctor felt this is due to an allergies or asthma which I had as a child. Apart from the hives I feel fine go to the gym 3 times a week and often go cycling

What I would like to know is, should I follow this up further and is hives a symptom of lymphoma I know itching is but is this normally severe and without rash?

Any advice would be appreciated

sorry to reply to my own post,

could anyone shed some light on this and give an opinion it would be most appreciated

Senior User
    I'm kind of new to these forums so I am not sure why nobody has responded, but I think I may know why. None of us are Doctors, so we can only relate our own experiences; and probably no one on this forum has had hives as a symptom. To tell you the truth, I have never heard of it, but that is not to say it isn't possible. My advice is to see a physician and try not to diagnose yourself.

Good luck.
    Don B
    Dec 07 Dx Follicular NHL, Grade I (Indolent)
    Stage IIIA - No Symptoms
    Watch and Wait - 6 Month Checks
    Jan 09 Scan shows Progression - no symptoms
    May 18, 09 - Started R-CVP
    After Third Round, CT scan showed some tumor shrinkage
    July 31,09 - Completed 6 Rounds R-CVP

Administrator Top User ChemoMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi mac11

Sorry to hear about the hives, they can be distressing. Please follow the lead of your doctors and stop worrying about cancer. Try and relax and stay away from internet medical sites until you calm down. You have done the right thing by persuing this and advocating for your health but now you need to listen to the doctors and relax a bit. Nodes of 1 cm or less are not considered abnormal. Keep an eye on them if you feel it necessary and if they get much bigger then go back. Don't panic as there is never any need for panic, the majority of lymphoma's are successfully treated these days.

Good luck
    Age 58
    Diffuse Large B cell Lymphoma
    Stage 2a
    Finished six cycles of R chop 21 26th May 2008
    Officially in remission 9th July 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 1st October 2008
    Remission reconfirmed 17th June 2009
    Remission reconfirmed 7th June 2010
    Remission reconfirmed 6th July 2011
    NED on the 2/01/2013
    No more scheduled visits to the Prof
    http://cancerforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9620

RULE NUMBER 1.....Don't Panic
    RULE NUMBER 2..... Don't forget rule Number 1

Great moments often catch us unaware-beautifully wrapped in what others may consider a small one.

I may not have gone where I intended to go,
    but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Robyn, I don't know a lot about lymphoma but I have a healthy relationship with hives over the years. ANYTHING can cause them. I would look more toward autoimmune disease if I were looking for a culprit. Of course follow your drs at eliminating cancer. Jody
    May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favour. Born 1960. Diagnosed 4/2011 with one tumor, LUL, NSCLC. Tumor size 1.1 inches. Thoracic surgery 6/1/2011. No action taken. Eight weeks of radiation and chemo. Carbo and Taxol. Follow up with four rounds of Carbo and Alimta.
    December 2011 CT scan shows all clear.
    April 2012 CT scan shows all clear. July 2012 had several x-rays taken at the chiropractor for shoulder pain. Took them to the onc and nothing suspicious noted. See them again in Oct.
    October didn't work out. Pain in the left shoulder continued to worsen and lymph nodes in the supraclavical swelled so I called the onc and they bumped the regular scan up to September 19 and we went for the results on the 24th. The tumor is back and the spread is extensive. Option 1: Try targeting chemos that may work and then on to clinical trials. These would give me about a year or so if the cancer responds. Option 2: Do no treatment and let nature take its course. This will give me six months give or take. As good as I feel right now, Iím going for door #2 and will continue to live well and enjoy myself until I donít. Iíll keep you posted. Live it up everyone!

7 months into hospice and palliative care. It has been a very good relationship with the organization as a whole with a minor glitch. April 2013 spent the night at hospice facility, PICC line inserted for morphine drip. I said I wouldnít but, had a hospital bed delivered. Started 10 rounds of palliative radiation to shrink the neck tumor. Busy month for me!

I've taken a couple of nasty falls this last week. (first of & mid-May) Right on the cancer shoulder. So I have a life alert necklace on me now. I wish I could get my hands on a small scooter!

There is another node swelling on the other side of my neck. Still small.

April51's (Jody) daughter posted that her Mother's journey in this world had ended on July 8th 2013.You touched so very many lives. Soar high Jody!

+ Reply to Thread