A website to provide support for people who have or have had any type of cancer, for their caregivers and for their family members.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: psa 28 - increased to 30 in 6 weeks?

psa 28 - increased to 30 in 6 weeks?

My husband - age 53- had a routine PSA test 6 weeks ago - the first ever, as far as we know. It was 28. He went to a urologist - recal exam indicated no abnormalities of the prostate -so he was given a six week course of bactrum. Last Monday his new PSA test reading came back at 30. A 12 sample needle biopsy was done yesterday and now we wait for the results.

I've been reading a lot about PC and what I've noticed that nearly everyone who's posted to the forums I've been reading have had PC AND their PSA was much lower than my husbands. I can only conclude that a PSA of 28 - especially with the rapid rise in 6 weeks to 30, is not a good sign such as maybe advanced stage. My husband also has RA and has had many bone scans and x-rays over the past several years, nothing has been suspicious on those. However, being already used to bone pain might make it harder to know if cancer has spread to the bones. Can anyone share with me their exepirnce or thoughts on this.

Also

Top User
    Hello

A PSA of 28 or 30 is certainly concerning for prostate cancer. But there are cases when there are false positives. Regardless, you will have the answer soon with the biopsy results. As far as metastases, I think first the diagnosis of cancer has to be established to then look for signs of distant disease.

Hang in there !

best regards,
    Leo
    Leonardo F - Webmaster Cancer Forums
    Disclaimer: this information is for informational purposes only. It is not medical advice.

Regular User
    First time I have posted on this forum so hope it works. Yes you are very concerned at this time. Two years ago my husband had a psa of 60 and it was cancer. We did much research to find a cancer center who had the latest radiation treatment. He had 42 treatments and two years later psa is .07. Just check out the best treatment for his cancer. Surgery is not always the best way to go radiation seems to be just as effective in many cases. With the high psa my husband had they did not even suggest surgery. I had bc cancer three years ago, we have found that doing your own research is not a bad idea. DR do not always tell you all of the side effects so look into it yourselves. Good luck and maybe you will have good news and something else has caused the high psa it is not always cancer by any means. Linda

Thank you for your responses. It's comforting to know that someone with a psa of 60 survived. I've read many post at this and other forums and all those with posting about their PC had PSA's from 5 to 14. So my thinking has been that 28 and 30 must mean an extremely advanced cancer. LindaTN - how advanced was your husband? Had it spread or was it just in the prostate?

Thank you for your responses. It's comforting to know that someone with a psa of 60 survived. I've read many post at this and other forums and all those with posting about their PC had PSA's from 5 to 14. So my thinking has been that 28 and 30 must mean an extremely advanced cancer. LindaTN - how advanced was your husband? Had it spread or was it just in the prostate?

for LindaTN

Regular User
    My husbands cancer had not spread to bones or organs but was a little out of the prostate so had 26 pelvic radiation and 16 to the prostate only. We did much research and discovered diet plays a major part in prostate cancer. Unfortunately diet, vitamins and herbs never make the medical profession rich so not much study done on this approach. There is some at MD Anderson and John Hopkins. We are vegetarians, plus do herbs, vitamins and never eat any sugar which by the way is hard to do. Check labels in the store and you will find you might as well just go to the fresh fruits and vegs and forget the rest including all breads! He did take Lupron during radiation and for one month after. Drs wanted him on it until it didn't work anymore. He wanted his life somewhat normal so quit it plus there is much disagreement on if it ever extends anyones life taken sooner rather then later. He knows there may be a time he will have to take it again. He plans to do herbs first if that is necessary. Our GP says his prostate is gone when he checked him. He does not go to a cancer center anymore just the GP for psa checks. Will what we are doing work I have no idea but two years ago they told him they would give him maybe ten years and only if he took the lupron we chose our own route along with a excellent ND doctor. Just do your research before you sign your name for anything. My husband is 64 so somewhat older then yours. Linda

I would go on hormone therapy immediately, and stop it when the PSA goes up.

He will live longer if he cycles the hormone therapy and hit the cancer while the PSA is still low. Don't wait for it to go out of control.

I have also heard that Prostasol does actually work, in spite of the shady past of the company. I know a few men that have been on it for many years, with less side effects than Lupron. They use it when nothing else works, and they appear to be successful.

I know some people say it does not work, but I have seen otherwise. Just my 2 cents.

Regular User
    Have you read Dr Patrick Walsh book, Guide to Surviving Prostate cancer? There is nothing to prove that lupron works any better sooner then later. In the mean time on lupron you are loosing bone, hot flashes, and of course impotence to say nothing of engery and depression that seem to go with it. Husband took PC Hope at one time and his psa went down. I often wonder how many people have died of chemo, we are so fast to call ND Drs and their treatments quacks but do they do anymore harm then the cut, burn and posion we go through with modern days treatments. Having had all three I'm not sure if I had the knowledge I have today if I would of done it. Linda