A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: psa 28 - increased to 30 in 6 weeks?

psa 28 - increased to 30 in 6 weeks?

My husband - age 53- had a routine PSA test 6 weeks ago - the first ever, as far as we know. It was 28. He went to a urologist - recal exam indicated no abnormalities of the prostate -so he was given a six week course of bactrum. Last Monday his new PSA test reading came back at 30. A 12 sample needle biopsy was done yesterday and now we wait for the results.

I've been reading a lot about PC and what I've noticed that nearly everyone who's posted to the forums I've been reading have had PC AND their PSA was much lower than my husbands. I can only conclude that a PSA of 28 - especially with the rapid rise in 6 weeks to 30, is not a good sign such as maybe advanced stage. My husband also has RA and has had many bone scans and x-rays over the past several years, nothing has been suspicious on those. However, being already used to bone pain might make it harder to know if cancer has spread to the bones. Can anyone share with me their exepirnce or thoughts on this.

Also

Top User
    Hello

A PSA of 28 or 30 is certainly concerning for prostate cancer. But there are cases when there are false positives. Regardless, you will have the answer soon with the biopsy results. As far as metastases, I think first the diagnosis of cancer has to be established to then look for signs of distant disease.

Hang in there !

best regards,
    Leo
    Leonardo F - Webmaster Cancer Forums
    Disclaimer: this information is for informational purposes only. It is not medical advice.

Regular User
    First time I have posted on this forum so hope it works. Yes you are very concerned at this time. Two years ago my husband had a psa of 60 and it was cancer. We did much research to find a cancer center who had the latest radiation treatment. He had 42 treatments and two years later psa is .07. Just check out the best treatment for his cancer. Surgery is not always the best way to go radiation seems to be just as effective in many cases. With the high psa my husband had they did not even suggest surgery. I had bc cancer three years ago, we have found that doing your own research is not a bad idea. DR do not always tell you all of the side effects so look into it yourselves. Good luck and maybe you will have good news and something else has caused the high psa it is not always cancer by any means. Linda

Thank you for your responses. It's comforting to know that someone with a psa of 60 survived. I've read many post at this and other forums and all those with posting about their PC had PSA's from 5 to 14. So my thinking has been that 28 and 30 must mean an extremely advanced cancer. LindaTN - how advanced was your husband? Had it spread or was it just in the prostate?

Thank you for your responses. It's comforting to know that someone with a psa of 60 survived. I've read many post at this and other forums and all those with posting about their PC had PSA's from 5 to 14. So my thinking has been that 28 and 30 must mean an extremely advanced cancer. LindaTN - how advanced was your husband? Had it spread or was it just in the prostate?

for LindaTN

Regular User
    My husbands cancer had not spread to bones or organs but was a little out of the prostate so had 26 pelvic radiation and 16 to the prostate only. We did much research and discovered diet plays a major part in prostate cancer. Unfortunately diet, vitamins and herbs never make the medical profession rich so not much study done on this approach. There is some at MD Anderson and John Hopkins. We are vegetarians, plus do herbs, vitamins and never eat any sugar which by the way is hard to do. Check labels in the store and you will find you might as well just go to the fresh fruits and vegs and forget the rest including all breads! He did take Lupron during radiation and for one month after. Drs wanted him on it until it didn't work anymore. He wanted his life somewhat normal so quit it plus there is much disagreement on if it ever extends anyones life taken sooner rather then later. He knows there may be a time he will have to take it again. He plans to do herbs first if that is necessary. Our GP says his prostate is gone when he checked him. He does not go to a cancer center anymore just the GP for psa checks. Will what we are doing work I have no idea but two years ago they told him they would give him maybe ten years and only if he took the lupron we chose our own route along with a excellent ND doctor. Just do your research before you sign your name for anything. My husband is 64 so somewhat older then yours. Linda

I would go on hormone therapy immediately, and stop it when the PSA goes up.

He will live longer if he cycles the hormone therapy and hit the cancer while the PSA is still low. Don't wait for it to go out of control.

I have also heard that Prostasol does actually work, in spite of the shady past of the company. I know a few men that have been on it for many years, with less side effects than Lupron. They use it when nothing else works, and they appear to be successful.

I know some people say it does not work, but I have seen otherwise. Just my 2 cents.

Regular User
    Have you read Dr Patrick Walsh book, Guide to Surviving Prostate cancer? There is nothing to prove that lupron works any better sooner then later. In the mean time on lupron you are loosing bone, hot flashes, and of course impotence to say nothing of engery and depression that seem to go with it. Husband took PC Hope at one time and his psa went down. I often wonder how many people have died of chemo, we are so fast to call ND Drs and their treatments quacks but do they do anymore harm then the cut, burn and posion we go through with modern days treatments. Having had all three I'm not sure if I had the knowledge I have today if I would of done it. Linda

Yes, I read the book 4 years ago. Here are some links to explain what I was discussing:
    http://psa-rising.com/med/hormonal/A...swell_2004.htm
    http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.o...t/full/9/3/295

By the way, PC-Hope is almost identical in formulation to Prostasol. Here is some additional info you should find helpful:

Early Use Hormone treatment

Study: Prostate cancer death rates down
    COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) ? Earlier detection and wide use of hormone treatment have driven death rates from prostate cancer dramatically lower over the last 10 years in North America and Western Europe, new research shows.
    Previous studies have demonstrated hormone treatment delays the progression of prostate cancer and makes patients feel better, but until now there has been little solid evidence that the approach can save lives.
    Death rates from prostate cancer have dropped by one-third in North America and by 20% in Europe since 1990 among men aged 65 to 74, according to Sir Richard Peto, who presented findings analyzing evidence from 40 years of prostate cancer research at Europe's biggest cancer conference Monday.
    Prostate cancer kills more than 200,000 men annually worldwide. About 190,000 new cases of prostate cancer are diagnosed in the United States every year, and about 30,000 men died of the disease in 2002, according to American Cancer Society statistics.
    Earlier detection and better surgery and radiotherapy have helped reduce death rates. But Peto, a professor of medical statistics at Oxford University who has conducted many of the key studies evaluating cancer treatments and risks, said the lifesaving benefit of hormone treatment has been vastly underrated.
    He reported the accumulated evidence from several studies on hormone treatment involving a total of 5,000 men. Taken separately, the studies were inconclusive, but analysis of them all together showed that when doctors gave hormone treatment immediately instead of waiting until the disease progressed, the risk of dying from the disease within 10 years dropped by one-third.
    "This definitely shows that hormone treatment works," said Dr. Michael Thun, chief of epidemiology at the American Cancer Society.
    "There is still debate about how much of the decline in (national) death rates is due to treatment and how much is due to earlier detection through screening, but the evidence for the importance of treatment in these declines is getting stronger," said Thun, who was not involved in the research.
    The findings follow similar success reported in breast cancer, where death rates in middle age have fallen by about one-third since 1990.
    Breast cancer, in most cases, is driven by the female hormone estrogen, while prostate cancer is most often driven by the male sex hormone, testosterone.
    Even after successful surgery, a few cancer cells may remain undetected nearby or in distant parts of the body. Radiation therapy can kill off cancer cells near the tumor site.
    Undetectable cells that have traveled elsewhere in the body can be attacked by chemotherapy in breast cancer, but not in prostate cancer. Hormone therapy prevents the fragments from being stimulated into becoming more dangerous by the body's own sex hormones.
    "Hormonal treatments have been available for ages, but they've involved really unpleasant things like being castrated. For that reason, doctors have been reluctant to use it and have mostly given it only in advanced prostate cancer," Peto said.
    "And the hormonal drugs that used to be available were pretty horrible. But now the drugs are a lot nicer than they were and they are getting better all the time."
    The more recent drugs, such as Casodex, seem to produce the desired effect, generally without impotence, he said.
    "Back in the early '80s, there was a widespread belief that hormonal treatment just didn't work for breast cancer and prostate cancer," Peto said. "There was a general feeling that it may somewhat delay recurrence but that it was going to do little or nothing for survival. It's just not true."
    "Hormonal treatments for these things have probably saved more lives than any single cancer drug," Peto said.
    The chances of surviving prostate cancer vary widely across regions and depend on how early the tumor is detected.

Please let us know what your husband's biopsy revealed. We have a similar situation: first PSA six months ago was 26, biopsy (12 samples) was negative. His latest PSA was 30.8. He goes in next week for a 40-sample biopsy. We are nervous. The urologist said his prostrate is the size of a grapefruit. He is 64.

old thread--but I found some updates on the people

karenkitty,
    This thread is over 5 years old. The original posters may not respond. Just thought I'd let you know. LindaTN's last post on CancerForums.net was on the Breast Cancer forum in 2007. Before that, in October 2005, she wrote:
    "When my husband had radiation at Vanderbilt they told him for two years his psa could and probably would go up and down. It is called the bounce and he was told that it was good if it did that. His psa was 60, he had a couple different forms of radiation, so far two years plus it is still way below 1 but has gone up and down a couple times. You can always start the lupron etc if you really need it. It does have side effects. Husband took it for four months and stopped but is there if he needs it knowing it only works for most people three or four years."
    http://www.cancerforums.net/about2155.html&highlight=

Sherebel's last posting on CancerForums.net is the one you see in this thread. She posted the same question on another board, and later followed up on that board with this:

"...My Husband (although we are no longer together) had a Gleason of 4+3=7 and a PSA of 28. (Not .28 but 28 ) Within 6 weeks it rose to 32 so this indicated, to me anyway, that his was an agressive cancer. The biopsy revealed 9 of 12 samples had cancer cells. I sat up until the wee hours almost obsessivly researching Prostate Cancer so that I could 'get in tune' with his condition. I was soooo scared and could not get my mind focused on anything other than this topic. I could not get interested in TV or do well at my job, it was the most anxiety I've ever known. I know that you must also be feeling that way also. You can always email me when you need a femal to vent to because I know how you feel. On June 6th, 2005 he had a Radical and I was absolutely shocked when the margins were clean and no glands were positive. In fact, with the high PSA of 32, a Gleason of 7, and 9 of 12 positive biopsy samples, I just kinda predicted the worst outcome. However, he had clean margins, no lympth involvment and believe it or not, his 6th month PSA was 0. He's still fine and will have his 12 month PSA in June. Although we are not together right now, I expect that it will still be 0. Bless you and I'll keep youand your husnab in my prayers - sherebel"
    http://www.healthknowledge.org/oncology-cancer/393113/
    (note, I'm not sure she actually posted to healthknowledge.org or if that site scrapes content from other discussion sites. I think that may be the case, but I can't find where she actually posted this. The name "sherebel" and the identical medical history make me believe it's legit and the same person)

DavidCohen last posted in November 2005. At that time, after surgery and radiation, his PSA had risen and he was anticipating hormone therapy ( http://www.cancerforums.net/about2162.html )

(note: this posting was edited after it was posted to reference CancerForums.net rather than HealingWell.com - R.)
    Replicant

Dx Feb 2006, PSA 9 @age 43
    RRP Apr 2006 - Gleason 3+4, T2c, NXMX, pos margins
    PSA 5/06 <0.1, 8/06 0.2, 12/06 0.6, 1/07 0.7.
    Salvage radiation (IMRT) total dose 70.2 Gy, Jan-Mar 2007@ age 44
    PSA 6/07 0.1, 9/07 (and thereafter) <0.1
    http://pcabefore50.blogspot.com

Update 5 years later

My PSA since 2005 was close to zero and then shot up to 0.6 after having a RP in 2002 and radiation 2003. It went up 3 months ago. I increased my supplements and it dropped back down to 0.14. The supplements are estrogrenic and at this time work very well for me. I have since lost about 40 pounds and walk 5.5 miles/day. I'm in good health.

David Cohen

Hi David

Thanks for reporting! Sounds like you're doing well.
    Replicant

Dx Feb 2006, PSA 9 @age 43
    RRP Apr 2006 - Gleason 3+4, T2c, NXMX, pos margins
    PSA 5/06 <0.1, 8/06 0.2, 12/06 0.6, 1/07 0.7.
    Salvage radiation (IMRT) total dose 70.2 Gy, Jan-Mar 2007@ age 44
    PSA 6/07 0.1, 9/07 (and thereafter) <0.1
    http://pcabefore50.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread