A website for discussions about any type of cancer, including lung cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, laryngeal cancer, leukemia, lymphoma, multiple myeloma and others
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Had colonoscopy yesterday and worried

Had colonoscopy yesterday and worried

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could help? I've had rectal bleeding on and off (blood on the stool) for a number of years. I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy done 5 1/2 years ago which did not show anything other than small haemmoroids. I went to see the same consultant in March this year as the bleeding was still there. He did a rigid sigmoidoscopy and said that it was still the haemorroids causing the problem.

Yesterday I had a colonoscopy where a 12mm rectal polyp was removed. I don't have any details as to the type of polyp - I spoke to one of the nurses afterwards and she said the notes just had 'polyp removed' on. I'm really worried at the moment in case the polyp was malignant as I have to wait two weeks to see the consultant who did the colonoscopy.

Thanks,

GSB

Top User
    HI.
    Just to encourage you not to worry, best things on this journey only cross bridgs when you get to them, it might turn out to ok and if not. you will learn to deal with the news like thousands and thousands of others, and start another journey.
    If you have faith ... Bible says 365 times ....FEAR NOT... thats one for each day of year... also Bible says ... IT COMES TO PASS... then God teaches .DO NOT WORRY.. as he is always with us.... then his word says CAST ALL YOUR CARE ON HIM.... so there are some great promises to encourage you and know also we are praying for you... keep us updated ...\
    GOD BLESS YOU

Regular User

Had colonoscopy yesterday and worried

Hey GSB,

I'd like to offer a different perspective. I look at this as really good news. You had a colonoscopy where a 12 mm polyp was removed. They found no obvious tumor, no blockage, no penetration of the colon wall... just a polyp. The polyp was roughly the size of your fingernail on your little finger. Even if you look at this as a worst case scenerio and it is cancer, this is a VERY early catch! Again, great news! This would probably be a stage 1 cancer. VERY treatable. Very CUREABLE!

You did the right thing. After all those years of worry about the bleeding, now you finally know and can start doing something about it. Sure, there may be a road bump or two but you will come out the other side stronger and wiser, ready to help others in your situation.

I remember the worry you are experiencing and it isn't fun but it will pass. Then, you will have a plan and you can get to work. Try not to worry about things you can't control. In the end, the only thing you can truly have control over is YOU. How you react to things. Your attitude. Your faith.

You can do this. Please let us know what you find out when you get your news. Please let us know what we can do to help you out.

God Bless,

Keith
    Keith Friend
    keith@friendfamily.net
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/keithfriend
    (214) 793-0519 Cell
    (817) 424-3395 Home
    (972) 906-3928 Work
    Diagnosed at with stage 4 colon cancer 6/18/08.
    Primary surgery on July, 08
    12 rounds of FOLFOX + Avastin
    28 rounds of Avastin
    Spleenectomy July '09
    Radiation to Liver Sept. '09
    Liver Resection (Attempted) April '10
    49 rounds of FOLFIRI + Vectabix
    On Vectabix and Xeloda now
    116 rounds of chemo as of Feb. 2013 and Feeling Great!

The doctor that performed my colonoscopy actually made the preliminary diagnosis that I had colon cancer, but couldn't verify it without the pathology report. I have to believe that your doctor would have it least said something about possible cancer.

Dale

Hi - I never got a chance to follow up on post from 2009.

After six years of persistent rectal bleeding (first occurred in 2003), I had a colonoscopy in July 2009 and had a 12mm rectal polyp removed which turned out to be benign. I went to see my GP yesterday to see if I should have any follow up investigations as it's just turned four years since the colonoscopy (the consultant who did the colonoscopy also did a follow-up flexible sigmoidoscopy in September 2009).

My GP said that as the polyp was benign there's no need for a further follow-up. However, I've read some guidelines for follow ups after a polypectomy which say a colonoscopy should be carried out after three years for polyps that are 10mm or larger (I'm in the UK).

My GP didn't have a copy of the final discharge letter after the flexible sigmoidoscopy, so I managed to speak to the consultant's secretary who told me a follow-up was recommended in 3-4 years after the polyp removal - I'm currently waiting for my hospital appointment.

I am worried though that maybe I should have had the follow-up this time last year - is having waited another year (even though it's still in the 3-4 year period) going to make a big difference?

Thanks - GSB

Moderator Senior User Fourlegsgood's Avatar
    Hi GSB.

I thought someone was replying to an old thread and then I saw that you started the thread! Nice to see it all turned out benign.

I suppose the blunt truth is that worrying isn't going to change anything so just wait and see. In any case these follow up periods don't sound too precise so if it was me I would just go with the flow. Chances are it won't make a blind bit of difference.

Nick.
    Age 1/2 way to 118. Symptom of blood in stools May 2011. Colonoscopy June 2011 confirmed rectal cancer. CT scan June 2011 showed no spread to other organs. Anterior resection July 2011 plus 50% bowel removed due to thickening observed during operation. Biopsy confirmed stage 2 in rectum only. Completed 8 cycles of precautionary capecitabine (4600mg Xeloda). Returned to horse riding 6 weeks post op, jumping after 8 weeks and first competition 10 weeks after operation. July 2012, CT scan clear. June 2014, CT scan clear.

Hi Nick - thanks for replying. Yes it was my old post from 2009. You're right that worrying won't change anything. The guidelines seem set with definite times for something to go ahead but in clinical application there seems to some variation in practice as clinical judgement comes into it. I read one study from Germany that suggested extending the three year follow up time for a colonoscopy to five years - so which do you go for with such a wide two year range?

Thanks - GSB.

Super Moderator Top User
    Gsb,
    Pleased to read the outcome.
    I had no polyps, just one mass. Yet a long time friend of ours another Barry has had so many colonoscopies and according to Barry that have removed 17 polyps so far over a few years.
    A benign diagnosis is as good as it gets.
    I'm on a 2 yearly monitoring programme, that last colonoscopy was clear.
    I hope to keep it this way.
    Best of luck
    Barry
    Diagnosed stage 3 March 011
    Radical resection April 011
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    12/09 Colonoscopy clear but picked up hospital infection.
    Aorta & femoral arteries occluded.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    Aortobifemoral surgery 5th May. yughh.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    13/5 CT showed "unknown" but no concern from docs.
    Inguinal lymph nodes and severe groin pain.
    Ultrasound and MRI show no nasties. Pheww
    Groin pain and enlarged lymph nodes still there.
    13 Aug Pain Management dept
    18 Aug ENT.
    Wait, watch and learn (Not too much I hope)
    Stop grumbling Baz, your alive and kicking and too much to do in my life.
    Motto
    Do what I enjoy doing, when I want until I can't.

Hi Barry - that's really good news for you. I'm just annoyed with myself for not chasing up my follow-up appointment at this time last year. GSB

Super Moderator Top User
    Gsb,
    One learns rapidly that missing scheduled appointments for monitoring isn't a good thing.
    Here in the UK, unless you have a darn good reason for not attending a appointment, they drop you to the bottom of the list.
    Best of,Ick
    Barry
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    Clot buster drugs put me in ICU with internal bleeding. 9 blood units later they got it under control.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    18 Aug ENT.
    Motto

Hi,

I had my colonoscopy this morning but am not quite sure what the outcome was. I was a bit groggy on the way back after the colonoscopy but asked the nurse taking me back if anything was found - she said there was nothing written on the consultant (who did the colonoscopy) notes. By the time I was discharged, the discharge nurse said the consultant had started his surgery list. I have a follow-up appointment in two weeks with him. If anything was found I assume it would be standard practice to record it and inform the patient after the procedure?

gsb

Super Moderator Top User sheila's Avatar
    gsb- Im sure if it was emergent they would have told you right away now even if they found polyps they either just removed them/ did a biopsy and wouldnt be able to give you any kind of results till that came back.
    If they dont get back to you with any info you ought to give them a call anyway just to either ease your mind and move on or have an idea whats going on. hope it all went well
    MOMS Journey
    April06- Emergencysurgery,exploratory,10units blood,largetumor and 10inches of colon removed,temp.colostomy.diagnosed stage IV colon.
    oxyplatin,5fu
    Oct06-radiation,surgery,several lymphs,cervix,1 ovary,fallopian,40% remaining colon,large tumor to adipose tissue,appendix,gallbladder removed.permant colostomy/iliostomy
    oxyplatin,transfusion.
    April 07-xeloda-overdose
    surgery-1/3liver,partial diaphra, removed clipped and questionable spots oblated.
    port-port rejection-port removed 1week.
    picc line,5fu,oxyplatin,camptosar.
    Oct-08-surgery-remaining ovary engulfed in tumor,partial bone scrape.
    transfusion central line TPN 1 month.
    oct-09-surgery tumor ,colon and jejuneum removed.
    xeloda reduced. severe dehydration,heart attack.
    april10-remission-avistan
    oct-10-erbitux,camptosar
    Jan-11-5fu
    mar-11 return to original site-oxyplatin,5fu
    Aug-11-erbitux,camptosar.
    dec-28-blood transfusion
    dec-30-back to chemo erbitux camtosar
    Jan-16 injections neulasta and aranesp
    feb16-transfusion
    feb 21-Tumor found stomach,liver, and liver "hot spots" inflamed lymph in rt ureter in kidney causing obstruction-surgery schedualed Mar 16.
    march 16/12-no more kidney obstruction not lymph ...dehydration is causing blockage, two litters blood for anemia, stomach liver tumor small-med,abalation, 1 hidden tumor deep in muscle mass on side flank(hid from scans) -gone!
    june/15/12-blood transfusion
    starting a regimine of celebrex
    aug/16/12-blood transfusion
    aug/30-12 discontinued celebrex -failure one kidney. needed to see urologist
    sept/10-12-good urologist report one kidney functioning well for now.
    oct/23/12-chemo pill Stivarga(regorafenib)
    Nov/22/12-blood transfusion
    dec/18/12-blood transfusion chemo pill dosage cut back to 1 pill.
    Feb/21/13 neulasta injection
    Feb/22/13-blood transfusion. still taking stivarga.
    mar/20/13-arenespt injection rehydration and magnesium IV
    mar/21/13-acute renal failure-kidney infection
    april/1/13.-recovery from 4 day coma infection cleared/4 units blood/ off stivarga/starting rehab therapy,
    swollen hand no apparent reason black spots in vision off and on. both cleared up.
    may/22/13-home oxycodone for pain shoulder neck arm
    june/1/13 pain subsided off oxy onto aleve
    june/09/13-pain back off aleve on vicodin
    june 10/13-cancer in back/neck- starting radiation for arm neck and shoulder pain.
    june24/13-last day of radiation-on steroids
    july1/13-swollen legs and feet-lasix off steroids still on vicodin and xanax
    july 23/13 vicodin cut in half blood transfusion.
    sept/6/13-off all pain meds since late aug
    scan results fracture in spine mid back
    sept/12/13-spine healing on its own,weaning off steroids, no visible tumors.
    nov/7/13-edema both legs and one arm on lasix since oct.
    nov/21/13- leg edema subsiding still alot in one arm- she is talking but keeps her eyes closed. achy but no major pain. nurse and aide to visit once a week schedualed. having trouble standing.
    nov/24/13-sadly but peacefully moms cancer journey is at an end, she will start her new spiritual journey together hand in hand with dad.

Super Moderator Top User
    gsb,
    Normally if anything is "found" during the colonoscopy you are (well at least I was ) informed they found a mass and my biopsy would be sent off for histology.
    Thereafter it was a week before he rang and said yes it was cancer.
    Everyone i know was informed immediately after the procedure either good or bad.
    My two pence would be as there was no remarks then I'd take it nothing menacing was found.
    Obviously I can't be sure, but it seems reasonable to "assume" nothing written or nothing remarkable observed", then if it was myself I'd take it as good news.
    Barry
    Last edited by Baz10; 08-21-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Ipad idiotic grammar
    Restaged 2b April 011.
    PET scan indicates clear
    DEXA bone scan clear
    18 Aug ENT.
    Motto

Barry - thanks.

+ Reply to Thread