PDA

View Full Version : What a success of the Cancer Forums !

leo
10-18-2004, 02:46 AM
Hi All !

I just wanted to thank you all for the great success we are having with these forums. In less than one month, we are already having a signifficant amount of posts and many people who participate quite frequently. I can not express how pleased I feel.

Another surprise is how this is helping me to learn. I am getting some very difficult questions, which I have to dig into the literature to find answers, and this is making me a better doctor. Cancer is such a difficult topic, and there is so much out there, that it is extremely difficult to filter all that information.

I hope I am being helpful to you as well. If there are any features or improvements that you would like, please let me know and I'll see how we can implement it.

regards,
Leo

chris
06-25-2005, 07:23 AM
Leo
Just want to thank you for providing such a web site, during my recovery from a doublemastectomy I was on the web, call the american cancer society (couldn't match me up with a buddy) because I have tissue expanders. I finally found help last week through a different branch of the hospital where I had my operation, one social worker never returned my calls. But as you know I'm a new person to this site and my husband had prostrate cancer last year and he even said we wish we could have found a site like this where real patients told their stories, so we would know what to expect. Thanks again and I will recomment this web site
Chris

Midnight_Butterfly
09-24-2005, 10:41 PM
Hi. I'm guessing this is a new site?

Well it's good, because I'm a newly diagnosed cancer survivor, so it's good to have a place where the website is not only easy to find, but also proving to be quite popular - which means MORE interaction and shared knowledge! Keep up the good work!

Jacqueline Crandall
12-05-2005, 07:39 PM
We are conducting a survey with post menopausal women survivors of breast cancer, who are currently taking tomoxifen for at least 2 years.

This is a 15 minute telephone interview and pays $35.00. If you would like to participate in this study please call Jacqueline at 818.986.9640
or email me at [email protected]

All information is confidential. No information will be sold or past on to any other source. Strictly for research purposes only.

Thank you,
Jacqueline Crandall
Project Coordinator
Health Care Testing, Inc.
15301 Ventura Blvd
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403

gdpawel
01-08-2006, 03:53 AM
Leo

Congratulations on the success of your cancer web forum. An oncologist faces many challenges, the greatest of which is helping patients fight daily battles against cancer that are not always won. However, widespread patient exposure to internet sites such as this can be a time-saving asset. The more educated a patient becomes of the disease, the more compliant they become. And while physicians can also learn from this, an essential component is solid communication between doctor and patient.

As patients and caregivers launch their explorations into medical cyberspace, they are finding out more about their disease, researching therapies and therapeutic alternatives. They begin to question and challenge, however, properly managed, the internet can enhance the oncologist-patient relationship, rather than undermine it. Patients can be directed to sites that improve their lifestyle, motivate greater levels of therapeutic compliance, cut down on basic questions, help combat illness more effectively, increase wellness and prevention skills, and maintain overall wellness.

The internet, when used correctly, can be a powerful educational tool. You have used it wisely. Thanks!

Valatcolwyn bay
08-13-2006, 03:12 PM
I am happy that I have found this site, perhaps now I will be able to have some questions answered that I dont seem to be able to get answered by the Oncologist. Firstly what are markers, what is the significance of the markers reducing from 15 to 10 to 7.5?

Vee Smith
08-13-2006, 06:49 PM
Tumor markers are proteins found in blood the levels of which correlates with the type and activity of some cancers. Some tumor markers are antigens, others are enzymes. Please note that they are not always a reliable means of tracing tumour development. Depends on what sort of cancer is concerned.