PDA

View Full Version : 1st Radiation

Pixie
11-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Well I had my first Radiation treatment (brachytherapy) this morning, it wasn't as bad as I expected. Once they got the applicator in it was uncomfortble but not painful.

At the moment I have NO side effects at all, I took a strong anti-emetic an hour before my appointment which probably helped. They gave me a tranquilizer too which didn't seem to help much until I got home and slept for the whole afternoon!!

Do the side effects (meaning mainly nausea and vomiting) get worse with every treatment, the way I feel now I'm thinking of going back to work next week and just taking the day off once a week for treatment. My friends and family all say that I should not work but I feel like I'm skiving!

Hope everyone on here is doing OK, Rhonda how iare your Thyroid problems?

rmaureen
11-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi Pixie :D ,

I handled the brachytherapy much better than the external radiation to the abdomen and pelvis. I don't recall a real big problem with nausea with the implant. Also, I only had one treatment with the implant, so I do not know if the nausea will get worse for you. Prayfully not. But I can say with a definitive "yes"--concerning external radiation to the pelvis; nausea will likely be a problem for some time. Not to mention the nasty metallic taste it puts in your mouth--not too appealing of a mixture with food. :?

If you do decide to go back to work, you might tell your employer you really do not know how your treatments will effect you yet; so it is very possible you may eventually need time off. How many sessions will have of this? Did you stay in the hospital any? My session was a little over 24 hours if I recall correctly, but maybe because it was a one time treatment.

I have no concrete answers concerning my thyroid yet, thanks Pixie for asking. I have an ultrasound in December of it, but she is already discussing nuking it with radioactive iodine. She did not communicate with me on this, her nurse called and left a message about the iodine and ultrasound, so I called back and asked to speak to the nurse. No reply. I will go through the ultrasound, but I think I may seek a second opinion on whether nuking the pest :x is the wise thing to do. It raises a red flag to me when a doctor's office refuses to discuss why it believes in a certain type of treatment. Or thinks so little of the patient who seeks answers.

:D Wow, you lucked out if that thing wasn't painful --but if a woman is real careful not to move, it makes it much easier to deal with brachytherapy. It is uncomfortable for sure, like a lead weight inside of you.

:D You are one tough cookie, Pixie! An inspiration to all for sure! Maybe someone with the similar type of treatment plan will respond to your questions. The treatments can really differ by stage of course, and a person's oncologist for that matter. One thing I believe for sure, you are going to come through this just fine! And know I am praying for it too! Now, dont push yourself too hard. Get the rest you need, and help from family and friends when you need it! :wink:

Pixie
11-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Thanks Rhonda!

I took your advice from an earlier post and didn't move an inch during the therapy, which is probably why it didn't hurt :lol: It was only in for about an hour and a half, I don't think I could of stayed still for 24 hours!

I need 4 sessions, originally it was 3 but after everything was in place they took measurements and decided to give me 4 smaller dosis instead of 3 larger dosis. (apparantly helps with side effects from the bladder, bowels and stomach!)

About your thyroid, that sounds very strange that they won't discuss the treatment with you, there must be various options (medication, surgery etc) available to you, they should be discussing the pros and cons of each one with you. Keep me updated in how you are doing.

Pixie
11-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Well I changed my mind about the no side effects, I felt tired and nauseous from Wednesday until today!!

It was strange I had cravings for things that I would normally hardly ever eat and my favorite foods turned my stomach!

Looking forward to the next appointment (Wednesday) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope that anyone who reads this post is doing well....

rmaureen
11-09-2009, 09:21 AM
:( Sorry Pixie about your side effects. That wreaks, and even more so while you are working. Applesauce and salty chips were mainstay during my treatments, and it took a while for me to get that far with food. I hope you get to feeling better soon. :)

teresals
12-13-2009, 12:45 AM
I'm praying for you. Have you tried a ginger snap or ginger ale. That seemed to help my mom when she was going through radiation. I hope your body fights off the side effects next time and you have absolutely no nausia. God can do it.

Pixie
12-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks Teresa for your kind words :lol: I've finished my course of radiation (thank god) Luckily the nausea didn't get any worse with each treatment.

I hope you're feeling well, take care of yourself.

CloZer
01-05-2010, 06:05 AM
I hope that you are alright now. I am not active in the internet for almost 1 year because of my Ultrasound Repair Training. And now it is finish, I can now do the things that I want. http://computerseo.com/