PDA

View Full Version : Informational Question Only - Pediatric Cancers

DougD720
11-12-2009, 08:27 PM
Hello All,

First let me say to those of your dealing with cancer My best wishes are with you and your loved ones. As someone who's mother was diagnosed with cancer last spring I know how difficult it is to deal with.

I'm a pre-medical student at Johns Hopkins University who's ultimate aim is to go into Oncology (as Cancer has struck many close to me, a close family friend actually has Stage 4 Lung Cancer at the moment and I've known him quite literally since I was born.)

My questions however are hypotheticals and I'm looking for information. These questions are more geared to medical professionals or people who know a great deal about Pediatric Cancers and if any of these questions offend I apologize, I'm working on writing a novel and need some information on cancers as the patient in the work is a child suffering from Cancer.

My research I have been trying to conduct is very difficult to find specific information on and I'm in the process of trying to speak with professionals one-on-one for this research gathering but doctor's as I have learned and know are very busy people.

If someone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. While the main focus of the book is on a different issue in the medical community, as I said the patient is a young girl suffering from cancer.

From what I have read thus far it seems that the most painful type of cancer in children is Pediatric Neuroblastoma. However I have been having trouble finding mortality rates for this disease and survival rates.

(Unfortunately) the patient is terminal in the story and it focuses around this. So if someone could inform me of the following I would appreciate it, I know these questions sound terrible, but in order to make this an effective story and to convey the theme of the work, unfortunately, this sort of sentimentalism is required.

1.) Is Neuroblastoma (Stage 4) the most painful form of cancer in pediatric oncology? If not what is.

2.) What is the prognosis for someone with a Stage 4 Neuroblastoma?

3.) How is the pain managed for pediatric patients?

If you'd prefer to PM me with the answers to these questions and any other information I'd greatly appreciate it as you may not feel comfortable answering these questions in a public view.

Also if you'd like to include your Name along with a PM response I will certainly write it down and include it with the work, likely in a "Special Thanks To" sort of section.

I'm looking for Medical Facts and Information. Let's assume the pt. is 8-11 years of age, female.

I know this is strange, however, one cannot write on this unless one knows the facts. I assure you the intent of this work is convey a good theme, to show the brutality of cancer in children, and to show most importantly, the incredible bravery children show when dealing with diseases such as this. It also shows the Dr. Pt. relationship.

I greatly appreciate any help that can be given. It is my intention to show this pt (though fictional) in the best light which is something that I've learned these children, faced with the worst of the worst situations, face with such bravery and courage. My intentions are all good, of that I can assure you.

Thank you.

brainman
11-15-2009, 07:24 AM
Hi Doug, if you really are a medical student, you would know not to ask your questions on a forum like this which mainly has patients and care providers who can only give you subjective answers... not a very scientific approach. Most of us only have experience with one type of cancer so no way to compare.

Q1.) Is Neuroblastoma (Stage 4) the most painful form of cancer in pediatric oncology? If not what is.
A1. Too subjective. Ask a teacher or oncologist.

Q2.) What is the prognosis for someone with a Stage 4 Neuroblastoma?
A2. Ask a teacher, do some research into medical journals, ask an oncologist.

Q3.) How is the pain managed for pediatric patients?
A3. Too subjective. Ask a teacher or oncologist.