PDA

View Full Version : dodgy symptoms?

biglebowski
06-02-2010, 04:11 PM
hi there, I had a throat infection in february which cleared after many weeks of penicillin but I'm still having pain and difficulty swallowing. I've had acid reflux for many years, and a suspected gastric ulcer a few years ago which seems to have healed.

I had a laryngoscopy which was clear last week. I have lymph glands up in the neck on either side and a husky voice. No nausea, coughing up blood, night sweats etc. I have to clear my throat perhaps three or four times a minute, it feels like phlegm build up. Is it worth my pushing for a barium meal and/or a gastroscopy with my doc? Doc is generally disinterested because he thinks it's related to my previous infection.

I'd be interested if anyone else had these symptoms? I'm 44.

Dude

kelly490
06-04-2010, 04:44 AM
See a gastrointestinal doctor and ask for an EGD it's standard when you have GERD. If he is a gastrolest and isn't doing the EGD find another who will the kind of scope you had won't go down enough to fully diagnose it. I have had gerd on and off for a few years now depends on my weight goes up and stress I get it back keep stress down and weight it goes away. I know many at work who have gerd and all have had the EGD which is a camera they go down your throat and all the way into your stomach look around and take pictures. I don't think ENT docs do this it's usually a gastro doc. I have had 2 EGD's in the past 3 years for GERD they normally do it with a light sedative where you swallow then they inject the drug to put you into a sleep. They need to see how much if any damage the acid is causing.

biglebowski
06-04-2010, 08:32 AM
hi Kelly

Cheers, actually I found yesterday that my laryngologist has referred me for a barium meal and chest xray anyway, this wednesday 9th. I would have to pay privately for a GI gastroscopy and the price here at the moment is about 1300 which is quite a lot, but it might save my life!!! If the meal throws up anything I'll definitely go for that. I presume you're in the US? How much does it cost over there just out of interest?

Dude

namaratasnv
06-07-2010, 02:25 PM
As far as I know then comparatively to UK, US is very cost effective for Gastroscopy GI as, my friend took his mom to US for this and it proves to be very effective too, now his mother is fine.

Thanks

kelly490
09-05-2010, 06:29 AM
Sorry it has been a long time since I checked back here in the US it's very standard to do the EGD for acid reflux at least if you have never had one before. The cost was picked up by my insurance out of pocket was a few hundred USD, but it all depends on the insurance here. Most insurance companies in the US will cover most things if it's diagnostic where you have a symptom. If it's just screening then there are age limits like getting a colonoscopey which I have had 2 of those also but I'm only 40. Sounds like in the UK they use old cheaper types of tests Barium and xRay I also had a small bowl study with barium the first time I did the EGD.

gatoraid
09-05-2010, 11:38 PM
The coughing up blood would be a concern. I was coughing up blood and an EGD showing that I had a tumor in my lower esophagus that had been bleeding. At the same time they took a biopsy which showed that I have cancer. I'm a big believer in tests but I'm also a big believer in not going broke. For the test that is being ordered, find out what it will and will not show. My chect xray showed nothing. I wish you the best and hope that all is ok.

Jim