PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like ovarian cancer?

linds123
06-30-2010, 10:48 PM
My mom has had bad abdominal pain, side pain, back pain, and bloating for the past year and a half at the least. She's always nauseated. Alot of times she'll eat and get so sick that she'll throw up. Her periods are extremely bad...and she bleeds inbetween quite bad. She's now recently complained that when she touches her stomach it hurts.

She has a cyst on her ovary that's been there for about 3 years now. The doctor has been telling her she needs to get a hysterectomy for the past 3 years...but she doesn't want to be down for 6 weeks.

I feel like she's not telling me something...everytime I ask she's like "oh, i'll be fine." I've had a feeling they've said something about cancer but she's not saying.

They said when they go in they will take out the cyst and may have to take both ovaries depending on what they find. Or at least that's what she's told me.

I asked about cancer today, and she was like "don't you think that the doctor wouldn have told me you're going to die if you don't have this done if it was that serious? And go on 3 years without having it done?" Which kind of makes sense...but I don't know...do y'all have any input? Could the cyst be cancerous?

rmaureen
07-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Hi linds123,

From what you have written, it sounds like the ovarian cyst has been stationary for a period of 3 years now. Cysts often come and go. Her symptoms do sound troubling, only testing can determine if its cancer or not. It's very possible her doctor advised surgery to alleviate her symptoms, but has yet to obtain a diagnosis.

I was reading through Merck's website just now, and want to paste an
excerpt.

------------->

Ovarian cancer causes the affected ovary to enlarge. In young women,
enlargement of an ovary is likely to be caused by a noncancerous
fluid-filled sac (cyst). However, after menopause, an enlarged ovary can
be a sign of ovarian cancer.

Many women have no symptoms until the cancer is advanced. The first
symptom may be vague discomfort in the lower abdomen, similar to
indigestion. Other symptoms may include bloating, loss of appetite
(because the stomach is compressed), gas pains, and backache. Ovarian
cancer rarely causes vaginal bleeding.

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec22/ch252/ch252c.html

According to Medicinet:

"Other factors are helpful in evaluating ovarian cysts (besides the
woman's age, or whether she is taking oral contraceptives). A cyst that
looks like it is just one simple sac of fluid on the ultrasound is more
likely to be benign than a cyst with solid tissue in it. So the
ultrasound appearance also plays a role in determining the level of
suspicion regarding a serious ovarian growth. "

http://www.medicinenet.com/ovarian_cysts/page2.htm#danger

----------->

I know very little about ovarian cancer. The symptoms would indicate something is going on (I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer and shared some of the symptoms), but its impossible to speculate from this angle. It very well could be a different issue other than cancer. I think you should continue to encourage her to consider treatment. I hope all turns out well for her.

linds123
07-04-2010, 01:02 AM
Thanks.

She got an ultrasound done the other day...and they said that the one that was on her right ovary had ruptured...and there was now a new one on her left ovary. Is that strange?

Also, they said they really didn't see any fluid. They said the reason her left side of her back was hurting was because of the cyst.

rmaureen
07-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Hi linds123:

I really don't know if it's strange for another cyst to appear like that. The Mayo Clinic website states "Fluid-filled cysts aren't likely to be cancerous. Those that are solid or mixed " filled with fluid and solid " may require further evaluation to determine if cancer is present." http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ovarian-cysts/DS00129/DSECTION=tests-and-diagnosis

From what little I have read on it, articles indicate ruptured cysts can lead to complications. Going by what you have previously written, she really should give more consideration towards a hysterectomy. If she would let you go with her to the next appointment; it will allow you to get a better picture of what is going on as you believe she is withholding information. Maybe others who have some knowledge about this will post. I hope and pray all works out for your mother.