PDA

View Full Version : Digestion / Bowel Issues

j3dison
08-14-2010, 06:12 AM
Hi,

I'm new here and I had a question regarding my sister who is recovering from cervical cancer.

My sister has undergone surgery, chemo and radiation treatment, with the last treatment finished about a month ago. However, she is experiencing severe digestion and bowel problems, including diarrhea, stomach pains/cramps, and a lot of noise that can be heard when I am sitting across the room from her.

It has got to the point where she lost a lot of weight, and can't even eat anything solid w/out suffering from pain. Sometimes, she can eat but it's hit and miss. She met with a doctor recently and he told her that she will need to wait for her intestine to heal cause it was damaged by the radiation, but there's no time frame of how long that will take.

My question is, for those that have experienced something similar, what or how have you coped with this condition? Any suggestions, advice, or help?!

Thanks!

stephc
09-12-2010, 05:47 AM
Hi,

I was treated for stage 3 cervical cancer and had the same difficulty after my treatment as well as during. I was hospitalized about one month after completing my treatment, I was unable to keep any food or liquid down and was very sick. The doctor's had no advice or explanation as to why I was still so sick.

It's been about a year now, and I am just now starting to feel like myself again. For me, it just took time. I didn't have a medical oncologist (just surgical and radiation oncologists), I think these are the issues they deal with. Not sure what kind of Dr. your sister saw, but that would be my only advice other than to eat when she feels able, and don't let it go too long and get so sick, like I did.

What stage was your sister?

BTW: I am in the Bay Area as well...I was treated at UCSF