PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Pulmonary Nodules suspicious for metastatic disease

bethsloan
07-29-2005, 06:06 AM
Have been having major gastrointestinal problems every time I eat so I went to my GI and she ordered an abdominal/pelvic CT. The base of my lungs was in the shot and the MPN's were found in the base of both lungs. The largest is 1cm and the smallest are 3-4mm.

So, I have an appt. with a pulmonologist next Friday and was told to have a full chest CT done before then.

I'm curious to know what I can/should expect in regards to tests, procedures, etc. from my doctor. I'm 37 years old and I'm pretty much scared to death right now. I don't want to go in there and just do what I'm told if I know that something more should or could be done. From what I've read I know that the MPN's are indicative of metastatic cancer. Having just had the abdominal/pelvic CT with nothing showing up on there other than some fatty liver infiltrates and the lung stuff, I don't know what else to ask for.

Do I need to see an OB/GYN, ya think? I've had endometriosis in the past that was categorized as pre-cancerous and have very irregular periods.

Do I need and ENT? Endocrinologist? Who else?

I just don't want the pulmonologist to smooth talk me into losing precious time by waiting if there is some advice as to what I should push for from someone who's had the same diagnosis.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

debbieNY
08-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Hi!
Some Pulmonary nodules are nothing more that some type of scarring from a previous illness. Others, can be cancerous. Go to a good pulmonary Dr. He should at least have you going for ct scans every 3 months for re checks to see if there is any change in the status of the nodules. A PET scan should also be done to rule out malignancy, but they are very expensive, and not all ins. cos. will approve them. Get checked by your ob/gyn for sure, and let all your drs. know what the dx is on your lungs! All opinions are usefull in determining your next steps!
Good luck and be well.
Debbie